Media Michel Pereira Submits Ihor Potieria GIFS

Doesn't really matter if it was intentional.. knee/shin to head/neck of grounded opponent is a foul.

Most guys get warned for even getting close to landing.

Pathetic

Doesn't really matter if it was intentional.. knee/shin to head/neck of grounded opponent is a foul.

Most guys get warned for even getting close to landing.

But it really does matter. The rule is that you can't knee or kick to the head. The rule isn't that your legs can make zero contact with a grounded opponent's head. If it was, then grappling couldn't exist.

This was a backflip with no clear-cut intent that he was attempting to strike the head - just look at the above gifs of him doing the same thing and not hitting the head.

And the knee didn't actually 'land' on Ihor's head although the subsequent momentum meant part of his legs made somewhat forceful contact with the head.

Given the ref a) couldn't determine the contact constituted an attempt at a 'knee' or a 'kick' and b) the initial contact with the legs was not to the head, he had the flexibility to determine it was inadvertent contact that did not require intervention.

This is of course an exploitable loophole. But as it stands, the ref was within his rights to let that go.

tumblr_mqkmmlHBA51sn0te7o1_400.gif
That's a bit different, you can tell Machida is out before Jones releases the choke.
Whereas Poteria tapped and then when it got released he collapsed. Either way both are awesome submissions

After having one of the top 5 worst days of my life, maybe top 3 the other day. Starting my day off today with @KazDibiase means I can only have a good one now.

As for the knee, I hate when crap like that happens. It looks like it hit. It sucks cause that will be talked about, but also why I think this guy fits a league with grounded knees, even though I'm not a fan of em in a way.
Dude is like every classic martial arts movie and fighting game rolled into one. Honestly one of the most enjoyable fighters to watch. Love or hate him, he just fucking entertains and delivers.

It did look like his knee hit the guy, but could we classify that as an intentional knee to the head of a downed opponent? We've seen fighters get away with worse (remember Jeremy Stephens v.s. Josh Emmett?).
It was accidental for sure. The whole move is so wild

It did look like his knee hit the guy, but could we classify that as an intentional knee to the head of a downed opponent? We've seen fighters get away with worse (remember Jeremy Stephens v.s. Josh Emmett?).
Why would it need to be classified as intentional? It's a foul, and worse fouls existing is a weird line to draw in the sand

Not gonna lie, it’s a joy to watch this guy scrap. He’s thrown some winnable fights a way with his antics in the past, but he’s one to remember. I’d like to see him get a decent step up at this point.

Remember when he slapped some dude during a fight because he was disrespectful? Trolled him hard and got the W.

Last edited:
He should have done it where both knees connected on his eye sockets at the same time, then piss on his corpse in its dying throes

His ability to close range is scary at MW

I barely seen the punch that floored Ihor

And then this guys is grabbing subs after the clubs……..sheesh

Dude probably can style on Izzy at this point

Yeah not to be a killjoy as it looked badass but looks like a foul. What would happen if he did that to someone and his knee connected squarely on the guys chin koing him? Does he win or get DQ.

But this isn't what happened, so it's irrelevant. What happened is somewhat complicated and grey according to the actual rules than the drama queens on here are making it out to be.

Take Anderson vs Chael 2. Everyone agrees that Anderson kneed Chael in the chest. However, while the point of the knee clearly misses Chael's head, it appears that part of Silva's leg still makes contact with Chael's head. Was this a foul?

No, because the rules as written clearly allow the ref to use discretion to ignore incidental leg contact to the head of a grounded fighter if they don't deem it to be a knee/kick/stomp directly to the head.

Back