Who do you believe is the most fascinating historical figure?

Time Magazine's 100 most significant figures in history is a decent list:

1 Jesus

2 Napoleon

3 Muhammad

4 William Shakespeare

5 Abraham Lincoln

6 George Washington

7 Adolf Hitler

8 Aristotle

9 Alexander the Great

10 Thomas Jefferson

11 Henry VIII of England

12 Charles Darwin

13 Elizabeth I of England

14 Karl Marx

15 Julius Caesar

16 Queen Victoria

17 Martin Luther

18 Joseph Stalin

19 Albert Einstein

20 Christopher Columbus

21 Isaac Newton

22 Charlemagne

23 Theodore Roosevelt

24 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

25 Plato

26 Louis XIV of France

27 Ludwig van Beethoven

28 Ulysses S. Grant

29 Leonardo da Vinci

30 Augustus

31 Carl Linnaeus

32 Ronald Reagan

33 Charles Dickens

34 Paul the Apostle

35 Benjamin Franklin

36 George W. Bush

37 Winston Churchill

38 Genghis Khan

39 Charles I of England

40 Thomas Edison

41 James I of England

42 Friedrich Nietzsche

43 Franklin D. Roosevelt

44 Sigmund Freud

45 Alexander Hamilton

46 Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

47 Woodrow Wilson

48 Johann Sebastian Bach

49 Galileo Galilei

50 Oliver Cromwell

51 James Madison

52 Gautama Buddha

53 Mark Twain

54 Edgar Allan Poe

55 Joseph Smith, Jr.

56 Adam Smith

57 David, King of Israel

58 George III of the United Kingdom

59 Immanuel Kant

60 James Cook

61 John Adams

62 Richard Wagner

63 Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

64 Voltaire

65 Saint Peter

66 Andrew Jackson

67 Constantine the Great

68 Socrates

69 Elvis Presley

70 William the Conqueror

71 John F. Kennedy

72 Augustine of Hippo

73 Vincent van Gogh

74 Nicolaus Copernicus

75 Vladimir Lenin

76 Robert E. Lee

77 Oscar Wilde

78 Charles II of England

79 Cicero

80 Jean-Jacques Rousseau

81 Francis Bacon

82 Richard Nixon

83 Louis XVI of France

84 Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor

85 King Arthur

86 Michelangelo

87 Philip II of Spain

88 Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

89 Ali, founder of Sufism

90 Thomas Aquinas

91 Pope John Paul II

92 René Descartes

93 Nikola Tesla

94 Harry S. Truman

95 Joan of Arc

96 Dante Alighieri

97 Otto von Bismarck

98 Grover Cleveland

99 John Calvin

100 John Locke
That's a diabolically bad list

Ulysses Grant ahead of Genghis Khan? Napoleon at 2? What in the fuck

There is no evidence to suggest Hitler's IQ was much above average. And old Adolf has, for obvious reasons, being the subject of intense study for more than 80 years.

What Hitler had in spades was the ability to manipulate people much smarter than himself by playing on their fears, desires and predjudices. And that can take you a very long way in politics. If Hitler's abilities as a military commander had equalled his political and oratory skills, I'd be typing this in German.
That's an oxymoron 😆

Catherine I of Russia - from orphan maid to empress of Russia.

many, many people. like other posters here, it's the bad guys who are the most fascinating to me because they have such a variety of good and bad in them.

The Buddha or Bob Barker. Bob's hairline held strong for almost 100 years. Nothing but respect.

bob-barker-makes-a-special-appearance-on-the-price-is-right-to-mark-his-90th-birthday.jpg
Man basing your pick for most interesting based on hairline is about as sheepdog as it gets

The more you read about Napoleon, the more interesting he gets.

He conquered everyone he fought for 10+ years and then had the most monumental failure ever - and on the road to Russia, he literally read a book that detailed how the Russians used Fabian tactics to beat the Swedes. The Russians proceeded to use those exact same tactics to beat him. He got mad about it and threw the book out of his carriage on his retreat. The Russians found the book and put it in a museum.

That’s just one small anecdote of thousands.

He wrote volumes of memoirs and had notes written down on the thousands of books he would read, but his handwriting was sometimes so bad even he couldn’t understand the notes when he went back to review them.

He would read like a kid on the ground by candlelight, with his legs up in the air and his hands clasped against his chin. Like a kid reading comic books, he would read reports from the front. Etc.

He was a hot headed genius who personally wrote a large portion of the French civil code, laws France still uses to this day.

More weird things. Most people think of him as French. The French didn’t. They saw him as Italian. He always spoke French with a bad Corsican accent. Italians didn’t think of him as Italian. They saw him as French. He was a man without a homeland and built an empire that sprawled across Europe.

He sold Louisiana to America. He was responsible for the war of 1812. Every Spanish independence movement in Latin America owes their independence to him in a weird way. So does Brazil from Portugal.

He took a Muslim middle name and signed his name Ali Bonaparte for a time. He offered to convert to Islam and nearly did.

He had sex with intelligent - no, brilliant women, some of the prettiest and smartest girls of his era, but also told them a woman’s worth was measured by how many children they had. He was a revolutionary who stood against slavery and for some version of equal rights but never extended those rights to women and reinstated slavery in Haiti before later abolishing it again…

He was a really bizarre genius. There are more books written about him than any other figure and there still aren’t enough

Fedor totally sucks at fighting because he let himself get submitted by Werdum. Just dove right into his guard and put himself into a triangle. Who does that? Fuckin' white belt tomato can, that's who. Even I know better than to do that. I bet I could totally kick his ass.

<LikeReally5>

Fedor losing a single fight did not define or tarnish his entire career. By invading Russia, Hitler sowed the seeds of the Third Reich's downfall. The Nazis would eventually have lost WWII anyway once America got off it's ass, but it would have been an even longer and bloodier conflict.

Time Magazine's 100 most significant figures in history is a decent list:

1 Jesus

2 Napoleon

3 Muhammad

4 William Shakespeare

5 Abraham Lincoln

6 George Washington

7 Adolf Hitler

8 Aristotle

9 Alexander the Great

10 Thomas Jefferson

11 Henry VIII of England

12 Charles Darwin

13 Elizabeth I of England

14 Karl Marx

15 Julius Caesar

16 Queen Victoria

17 Martin Luther

18 Joseph Stalin

19 Albert Einstein

20 Christopher Columbus

21 Isaac Newton

22 Charlemagne

23 Theodore Roosevelt

24 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

25 Plato

26 Louis XIV of France

27 Ludwig van Beethoven

28 Ulysses S. Grant

29 Leonardo da Vinci

30 Augustus

31 Carl Linnaeus

32 Ronald Reagan

33 Charles Dickens

34 Paul the Apostle

35 Benjamin Franklin

36 George W. Bush

37 Winston Churchill

38 Genghis Khan

39 Charles I of England

40 Thomas Edison

41 James I of England

42 Friedrich Nietzsche

43 Franklin D. Roosevelt

44 Sigmund Freud

45 Alexander Hamilton

46 Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

47 Woodrow Wilson

48 Johann Sebastian Bach

49 Galileo Galilei

50 Oliver Cromwell

51 James Madison

52 Gautama Buddha

53 Mark Twain

54 Edgar Allan Poe

55 Joseph Smith, Jr.

56 Adam Smith

57 David, King of Israel

58 George III of the United Kingdom

59 Immanuel Kant

60 James Cook

61 John Adams

62 Richard Wagner

63 Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

64 Voltaire

65 Saint Peter

66 Andrew Jackson

67 Constantine the Great

68 Socrates

69 Elvis Presley

70 William the Conqueror

71 John F. Kennedy

72 Augustine of Hippo

73 Vincent van Gogh

74 Nicolaus Copernicus

75 Vladimir Lenin

76 Robert E. Lee

77 Oscar Wilde

78 Charles II of England

79 Cicero

80 Jean-Jacques Rousseau

81 Francis Bacon

82 Richard Nixon

83 Louis XVI of France

84 Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor

85 King Arthur

86 Michelangelo

87 Philip II of Spain

88 Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

89 Ali, founder of Sufism

90 Thomas Aquinas

91 Pope John Paul II

92 René Descartes

93 Nikola Tesla

94 Harry S. Truman

95 Joan of Arc

96 Dante Alighieri

97 Otto von Bismarck

98 Grover Cleveland

99 John Calvin

100 John Locke
Hilariously bad list

Abraham Lincoln for me.. I've read many books on his life and they are some of the best books I've ever read on any historical figure.

Hitler losing a single fight did not define or tarnish his entire career. By jumping into Werdum's guard, Fedor sowed the seeds for his tomato can career's downfall. The Last Emperor would eventually have lost to other tomato cans anyway once they exposed his ass, but it would have been an even longer and bloodier fight career.

FTFY.

I kid, I kid. You're a good dude and a solid poster and I'm not taking the piss out of you. I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one bro.

Interestingly, the IQ tests of the Nazis at the Nüremberg trial matches their position in the hierarchy pretty well. Hitler was a monster, but the other top nazis considered him a genius; he was an avid reader and conversant on almost any topic... but still a monster, so he wouldn't be my pick for most interesting guy in history.

Personally, I'd go for Cicero or Aristotle. Cicero lived through some of the most tumoltuous times in history and is the most well-documented person we know of until modern times. Aristotle was a foundational figure in almost everything interesting.
Yeah, not my pick either but the idea he was a moron is a dumb take which what I was saying.

One doesn't jump out as a top dog, but there are quite a few I enjoyed reading and watching about.

Hernan Cortez-Conquistador
Henry Every-Pirate
Marco Polo-Merchant/explorer
Buckminster Fuller-Polymath
T.E. Lawrence/Lawrence of Arabia-Soldier/scholar

Most fascinating

Crazy Horse
Marcel Duchamp
Mary Shelly
Owsley Stanley

Back