Longshot to win gold in 2024?

JoeRowe

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Last year Strickland came out of nowhere, off 2 Ls no less, to win UFC Gold. Grasso was on a nice streak but nobody expected her to beat Valentina. Poatan started the year as champ of 185 and ended as the champ of 205 lol. It's crazy how fast the landscape of any given division could drastically change.

I thought about guys at 155 because I think Islam will move up or retire after beating Gaethje/Charles. Or maybe 1 of the WWs at UFC 299 can have a big night and carry the momentum forward by the of the year. But my top pick is going to be Curtis Blaydes & here's his path:

-Humbles Jailton at 299 by beating him everywhere, tko rd 2
-Aspinall/Gane fight in May/June, Blaydes hopes for Gane to win
-Jones/Stipe fight in August & double-retire

Aspinall/Gane winner vs Blaydes at MSG, and Blaydes gets it done.

Who could you see coming out of left-field next year?

I know this is a looooong shot. But Menifield at 205. I want to see him fight Rountree or someone similar ranked. If he wins that in devastating fashion, in this division, could be a title shot depending on how the other fights shake out.

He's got the power and speed, his TDD isn't great but decent, and while I wouldn't favor him against anybody in the top 5, he is dangerous enough to beat anybody on any given night.

Him vs Walker would be a helluva fight.

I could see him catching anyone at 205, especially Walker
I know this is a looooong shot. But Menifield at 205. I want to see him fight Rountree or someone similar ranked. If he wins that in devastating fashion, in this division, could be a title shot depending on how the other fights shake out.

He's got the power and speed, his TDD isn't great but decent, and while I wouldn't favor him against anybody in the top 5, he is dangerous enough to beat anybody on any given night.

Him vs Walker would be a helluva fight

Johnathan Martinez wrecking legs seems a difficult problem imo, has looked improved every time i've seen him.
That's a great call but I'm worried about him getting big opportunities. Would love to see him get the Umar fight, especially because Umar doesn't deserve to jump the long-line. Martinez is capable beating anyone at 135 imo

That's a great call but I'm worried about him getting big opportunities. Would love to see him get the Umar fight, especially because Umar doesn't deserve to jump the long-line
He's still only 29 and has a good amount of experience now with 13 UFC fights to his name, Cub,Said and Yanez in his last 3 is some solid ass wins too, never been submitted, but most importantly he's imo improving a lot from fight to fight, don't want to say it but i'm getting subtle Do Bronx vibes(with regards to his improvements and confidence).

Still think Umar is a very dangerous fight for him, would like to see it, but not just yet. I would love to see him kick out Dom Cruz's shuffles next lol.

He's still only 29 and has a good amount of experience now with 13 UFC fights to his name, Cub,Said and Yanez in his last 3 is some solid ass wins too, never been submitted, but most importantly he's imo improving a lot from fight to fight, don't want to say it but i'm getting subtle Do Bronx vibes(with regards to his improvements and confidence).

Still think Umar is a very dangerous fight for him, would like to see it, but not just yet. I would love to see him kick out Dom Cruz's shuffles next lol.

He's been great. But there's a major logjam at the top of that division. He'd have to run a gauntlet, and fight 3/4 times this year to get a shot.

He's been great. But there's a major logjam at the top of that division. He'd have to run a gauntlet, and fight 3/4 times this year to get a shot.
You're not wrong, it's a weird fuckin division.. He's been pretty active though, 3 fights in 2022, 2 in 2023. Long shot innit lol.

I'm looking forward to seeing more serious suggestions in this thread.

Caio Borralho. Seems to be a very cerebral fighter that has a different, articulate, and well thought out gameplan with each opponent he faces. Could be a dark horse danger in a division destitute of decisive fighters. Guy seems to be decent all around, just not sure where his actual ceiling is. Will find out more if he manages to fight a ranked opponent next.
caio.jpg

Caio Borralho. Seems to be a very cerebral fighter that has a different, articulate, and well thought out gameplan with each opponent he faces. Could be a dark horse danger in a division destitute of decisive fighters. Guy seems to be decent all around, just not sure where his actual ceiling is. Will find out more if he manages to fight a ranked opponent next.
View attachment 1018741

Is he really still unranked?

For some reason, yes. Thankfully, all the 6'6" gigachads that post here know that rankings are a meme for casuals to argue over. I'm 99% sure it's because they determined he had a "boring" fight against Abus.
View attachment 1018744

Yea that's nuts. He's 5-0 and has beaten some good fighters. FFS Gastelum doesn't even fight at 185 anymore.

Back