Old Time Boxing Training

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I was reading about training regiments of boxers from earlier eras. It turns out there is quite a lot to read, including that some from earlier era boxers who lived long enough have even reflected on their training when compared to modern training. Here is the general theme to what I read:

Those older era boxers who lived long enough to reflect often report that modern training is over complicated.

Earlier era boxers usually didn't do weight training unless it was lightweights as there was a preference for long, lean muscle. They often didn't do a ton of long distance running. Maybe 2-3 miles 2-3x a week and two days a week of sprints.

Sparring was the most important part of training and they did it daily (save 1-2 rest days). Next most important was shadow boxing. Finally they mostly just used a heavy bag and sometimes a speed bag and skipping rope.

Personally, I like the old school boxing training regiment.

Last edited:
I was reading about training regiments of boxers from earlier eras. It turns out there is quite a lot to read, including that some have even reflected in their training when compared to modern training. Here is the general theme to what I read:

Those older era boxers who lived long enough to reflect often report that modern training is over complicated.

Earlier era boxers usually didn't do weight training unless it was lightweights as there was a preference for long, lean muscle. They often didn't do a ton of long distance running. Maybe 2-3 miles 2-3x a week and two days a week of sprints.

Sparring was the most important part of training and they did it daily (save 1-2 rest days). Next most important was shadow boxing. Finally they mostly just used a heavy bag and sometimes a speed bag and skipping rope.

Personally, I like just old school boxing training regiment.
Nice and simple.

It's true that we tend to overcomplicate things. There are stuff to learn from how people used to do things, but also stuff that's better at this point. Partner drills I feel are excellent, but they probably did that too. How much or little weightlifting someone should be doing depends on the person I'd say, but it should always be secondary to the sport.

Nice and simple.

It's true that we tend to overcomplicate things. There are stuff to learn from how people used to do things, but also stuff that's better at this point. Partner drills I feel are excellent, but they probably did that too. How much or little weightlifting someone should be doing depends on the person I'd say, but it should always be secondary to the sport.

I think the truth is that current training probably encompasses everything that past trading dos and more. But there is one difference. When the current up and comer gets off the treadmill, takes off his training mask, asks his conditioning coach how he looked, schedules time to meet with his nutritionist etc etc, an old timer might say, "You wanna get good at boxing? There's only one way.....go box."

I think a modern regiment can be great, but needs to prioritize actual sparring as the most important aspect of training.

There's no need for the "modern" and "old school" approaches to be mutually exclusive. Periodization gives you the best of both worlds.

So basically just sparring, and then shadow boxing afterwards to practice a little of what you learned or decide you want to develop more for your next sparring sessions.

Hell, you dont even need a coach for that. Just get a couple of neighborhood kids together and ask them to a friendly sparring match.

James Toney, for a majority of his career, only sparred. It really showed in his style, always relaxed, very slick.

James Toney, for a majority of his career, only sparred. It really showed in his style, always relaxed, very slick.

Yeah I use to train at a gym and there was this guy that would come in to spar. He basically toured from gym to gym just to spar and said that was all he ever did. He could go 20 rounds easily and would often fight every person on the gym. He was really good, but said he just did it for fun, no competitive ambitions.

Yeah I use to train at a gym and there was this guy that would come in to spar. He basically toured from gym to gym just to spar and said that was all he ever did. He could go 20 rounds easily and would often fight every person on the gym. He was really good, but said he just did it for fun, no competitive ambitions.

And really that is how a sport should develop. That is how the skills are tested. Every other sport has this kind of grass roots aspect of it. Without, you cannot truly have a competitive professional scene.

So basically just sparring, and then shadow boxing afterwards to practice a little of what you learned or decide you want to develop more for your next sparring sessions.

Hell, you dont even need a coach for that. Just get a couple of neighborhood kids together and ask them to a friendly sparring match.
The major reason why you need a coach is you need someone better than you, who can look at you from the outside and see things you can't. You need someone to tell you to try this, or that, or work on this and that. You need to practice skills very diligently.

It's like, you know, soccer players play soccer and work on specifics and drilling, swimmers swim and work on strokes, runners run and work on running technique and economy, and so forth. I think the single most important thing for any martial artist is the effective knowledge and skill of their coaches and their own discipline and willingness to learn. Sure, nutrition(supplements), weightlifting, gear, facilities and all that helps, but I feel that in some places it's almost to the point that it detracts from the meat of the training. All the gadgets and technology in the world can't replace practical knowledge, hard work and skill.

Still, S&C outside of the sport can be an amazing thing. You can build a base over time to prepare joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments for the hard training ahead, you can target imbalances, you can work on pain relief, you can improve explosiveness, you can improve strenght and you can increase joint mobility and function! Diet can also affect recovery and inlammation, so it's all good. Just don't get lost in it and remember what's number one.

Last edited:
Old time era guys are very much against modern day weight training and I feel thats wrong. Correct strength and conditioning does not have to come at the cost of flexibility and limberness.

Not to mention, nearly all the old timers claiming modern day S + C were no good had one thing on their side-they nearly all worked hard labor jobs some time in their lives or did so currently at their career point so they reaped the benefits of S + C training anyways, in a different method

Old time era guys are very much against modern day weight training and I feel thats wrong. Correct strength and conditioning does not have to come at the cost of flexibility and limberness.

Not to mention, nearly all the old timers claiming modern day S + C were no good had one thing on their side-they nearly all worked hard labor jobs some time in their lives or did so currently at their career point so they reaped the benefits of S + C training anyways, in a different method
If we are just talking about boxing, most of the top guys still don't do weightlifting.

Remember this one?

I was reading about training regiments of boxers from earlier eras. It turns out there is quite a lot to read, including that someone era boxers who lived long enough have even reflected on their training when compared to modern training. Here is the general theme to what I read:

Personally, I like just old school boxing training regiment.
Sparring should always be most important, isn't that common sense?

i think the mma fighters at AKA do sparring once a week. and Robbie lawler also does it once a week, he says bc he already knows how to fight :) there was an old thread about how often sparring should be done. iirc many ppl didnt believe in daily sparring. i think its good though, especially when you're just beginning.

but yes, a lot of them stress skiprope. unfortunately my plantar fasciitis rears its ugly head anytime i even do it for 3 minutes, i dont think there's really a good replacement for it with the same motions. other than just switches (which really isnt as hard as skipping)

anyone have a good alternative to skiprope?

but yes, a lot of them stress skiprope. unfortunately my plantar fasciitis rears its ugly head anytime i even do it for 3 minutes, i dont think there's really a good replacement for it with the same motions. other than just switches (which really isnt as hard as skipping)

Exercisebike for a long ass time (gradually increase difficulty settings) will get your legs springy and noticeably improve your effective gas tank. It's not a perfect replacement in all aspects but it does work in general. I would recommend one of those recumbent ones, seams a lot more comfortable to be on for long periods and still presents a hefty challenge to your legs

I have the same problem. I've been doing running in place and doing punches with a resistance band. I look like I'm in a jazzercise class, but it's not as bad on my feet. Good compression socks help too.

What are switches?

Does your plantar fasciitis flare up if you bounce on a tractor tire?

...skipping rope...
exhibitimg.ashx-4591.jpg

I hear ya! I like to stack puzzle mats 3 high in a 4-mat square and jump roep on that. It really helps. I really fucked my feet up jumping rope on concrete gym floors

Back