Movies The Wrestler (2009) vs Black Swan (2010)

The Wrestler is way better.

Black Swan is hysterically over rated but it is good.

Marisa Tomei as a stripper that totally delivers what you expect and want to see.

vs

Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis in a steamy lesbian sex scene where NEITHER of them shows the goods.

Ummmm yeah I'm not a fan of disappointment so I'll go with the wrestler.

I thought Black Swan was a really effective psychological thriller. Strong performances, consistently unsettling, well made.

The Wrestler is a very strong film with a great performance from Rourke. Tough for me to pick. Would probably narrowly go with Swan.
Yeah probably the same, with Aronofsky I actually find the pulpier he gets the better with Black Swan arguably his best film.

The Wrestler is probably my next favourite, either that or Pi but I think he can have a weakness to having a lack of focus and as pointed out essentially a Perfect Blue remake works really well for him. Plenty of depth to whats happening and lots of room for strong performances but also a pretty tight plot.

Yeah probably the same, with Aronofsky I actually find the pulpier he gets the better with Black Swan arguably his best film.

The Wrestler is probably my next favourite, either that or Pi but I think he can have a weakness to having a lack of focus and as pointed out essentially a Perfect Blue remake works really well for him. Plenty of depth to whats happening and lots of room for strong performances but also a pretty tight plot.

I like his work. He's not one of those filmmakers where I'm actively anticipating his next film- like Spielberg, Scorsese, Villeneuve, Tarantino, Fincher, and a couple of others- but I've certainly liked most of his films that I've seen.

The Whale was quite good in my opinion but it didn't really strike me as a typical Aronofsky film. It's not even with the subject matter, as I could actually see that play being the type of thing that would draw Aronofsky's interest. It just didn't stylistically strike me as a similar to much of his canon. The film was carried more by the performances than by the technical choices, of course. It's one of those films where you can definitely tell that it was initially a play because, even as a film adaptation, it plays like a play if that makes sense.

Mother is probably the only film of his I've seen that I couldn't stand. It was really off-putting to me but I guess that was sort of his aim. The bummer for me was that the first forty minutes or so seemed to be pretty good. But once it went full allegory and descended into madness, I was done. If it had just been a psychological thriller about the invasion of one's privacy from strangers (Pfeiffer and Ed Harris were the highlight of the film for me), it probably would have been better.

I like his work. He's not one of those filmmakers where I'm actively anticipating his next film- like Spielberg, Scorsese, Villeneuve, Tarantino, Fincher, and a couple of others- but I've certainly liked most of his films that I've seen.

The Whale was quite good in my opinion but it didn't really strike me as a typical Aronofsky film. It's not even with the subject matter, as I could actually see that play being the type of thing that would draw Aronofsky's interest. It just didn't stylistically strike me as a similar to much of his canon. The film was carried more by the performances than by the technical choices, of course. It's one of those films where you can definitely tell that it was initially a play because, even as a film adaptation, it plays like a play if that makes sense.

Mother is probably the only film of his I've seen that I couldn't stand. It was really off-putting to me but I guess that was sort of his aim. The bummer for me was that the first forty minutes or so seemed to be pretty good. But once it went full allegory and descended into madness, I was done. If it had just been a psychological thriller about the invasion of one's privacy from strangers (Pfeiffer and Ed Harris were the highlight of the film for me), it probably would have been better.
Yep I'd agree, he does seem to have a bit of a weakness for getting drawn into these grand "statements" like Mother, the Fountain and Noah which honestly he isnt nearly as good at as strong personal drama whichI think tends to be the cornerstone of even the most well regarded art cinema anyway.

"Prententious" is a word which gets overused but I do feel it suits this stuff, his attempts to do something like Mallick's Tree of Life has never been as sucessful.

Yep I'd agree, he does seem to have a bit of a weakness for getting drawn into these grand "statements" like Mother, the Fountain and Noah which honestly he isnt nearly as good at as strong personal drama whichI think tends to be the cornerstone of even the most well regarded art cinema anyway.

"Prententious" is a word which gets overused but I do feel it suits this stuff, his attempts to do something like Mallick's Tree of Life has never been as sucessful.
Fountain was my favorite. It haunts me to this day. Beautiful film.

Back