Tap water quality where you live

I'm on the Southwest side of Michigan, in Holland. I have a well thats 150' deep. Our water is a bit hard, but it does taste pretty good. I used to live in town and that shit smelled like Clorox bleach

Holland is nice though I haven't been out that way in quite some time.

Yea dude that's exactly how our tap water smells. Kinda like a swimming pool. Like if you fill up the tub you can really smell it.

I need to get north of the rifle line if me and the wife are going to live here the rest of our lives. While Wayne County is home I've changed as a person and I just can't stand it any more. Livonia to canton has just become to crowded and built up and it takes an hour to go on what should be a 25 minute ride.

Sucks to hear, but northern Michigan is super nice. Funny you mentioned the rifle line, most people don't even know. I would love to move up to the Yoop, but my wife would never..

Drinkable and safe, but too much minerals in it to make good tea and coffee. I use bottled water for that.

my tap water is about 32 ppm. we good. my buddy in long beach, ca... we tested his water, and it was over 250 ppm.

I hear the water in Flint , Mich and areas in WV where Dupont plants are near have highest qaulity water!

I've worked for one of the biggest English water companies for 17 years.
A.M.A

I drink the tap water (in my house).
Why would boiling water in a stainless steel pot cause TDS to increase?

If it's those PFOA's or whatever that Dupont shit was, then you're screwed and probably do need a specialized micron filter to clean it up if that would even work?

I do have an inline carbon filter for the kitchen sink which definitely removed the heavy chlorine smell prior to this and even the wet dog smell now, but still boiling to be sure until further notice.
Slightly educated here as well, but ya gotta understand that a super-restrictive "micron" filter that would effectively ELIMINATE all chemical toxins would likely not pass enough water to fill a cup in any reasonable amount of time - if it would at all.

I hear the water in Flint , Mich and areas in WV where Dupont plants are near have highest qaulity water!
<{katwhu}><{katwhu}><{katwhu}>

Umm, DuPont's PTFE and other manufacturer's toxins, ( plus the hidden & unknown to the public ) fluids, along with the Federally Unacceptable Lead levels in Flint, has been covered up for decades.​

Last edited:
I’m homeless right now but my last home was on a well and my new one I’m building now is too. The last one had hard water so I had to install a water softener and purifier system but the tap water was like what would come out of a Brita. My rental unit im living in is on city water and it sucks.

My new land has a lot better water. Still well water though so no liberal, gay frog chemicals put in by the city. I’ll need to have my well tested once it’s installed but my neighbours were saying how great it was. Time will tell.

In Scotland. Our tap water is fresh after a second or two of running the tap.

Why would boiling water in a stainless steel pot cause TDS to increase?
We have seperate science departments for a variety of specific questions but you are going to need to be more specific than this.

What kind of tds?
Where do you live?

It won't be found in my area and even within different water companies, there are a variety of different treatment centres, each with their own challenges.

But even then, the water delivery from source to tap has a number of different possibilities of where bad water comes from.
The vast majority of drinking water issues for domestic customers are within the private pipework.

Do toxins magically vanish after boiling? I thought you have to filter that.
no they do not.
Boiling water just kills off live pathogens like bacteria and viruses. Which is good to kill those off obviously.

Boiling water will not affect lead content, calcium carbonate content, other dissolved minerals and elements like chlorine and fluorine in it.
If anything, boiling water will INCREASE content of these contaminants due to partial evaporation of the boiling water as steam which will slightly reduce the liquid water volume.
So.... to do it properly you need to boil the water AND filter it through a reputable and proven filtration system.
Reverse osmosis works well, as far as I know as a filtration system.

We have seperate science departments for a variety of specific questions but you are going to need to be more specific than this.

What kind of tds?
Where do you live?

It won't be found in my area and even within different water companies, there are a variety of different treatment centres, each with their own challenges.

But even then, the water delivery from source to tap has a number of different possibilities of where bad water comes from.
The vast majority of drinking water issues for domestic customers are within the private pipework.
I was watching a YouTube video of a guy testing TDS from a variety of sources (bottled water, tap) and he boiled the tap water, took a new measurement, and it increased from 400 to like 750. Only thing I could think of is the solids now comprised a greater share of the solution since some water boiled off.

Fresh and much better than bottled water.

I was watching a YouTube video of a guy testing TDS from a variety of sources (bottled water, tap) and he boiled the tap water, took a new measurement, and it increased from 400 to like 750. Only thing I could think of is the solids now comprised a greater share of the solution since some water boiled off.
Sounds pretty good for a conclusion. Boiling the water means the tds would stay in the remaining water, increasing the ppm levels.

But for sure, there are many questions with water that are almost tricks - into leaving people with doubts and fear.

There are a lot of dirty secrets within the water industry (in England) but most of them are financial. Very, very few are water hygiene cover ups as the consequences of poor water is risk of imprisonment for directors due to the way some of the safety laws work.

We are ultra fortunate in England to have some of the best drinking water in the world.
Most of the employees are lifelong and carried over from the nationalisation.

That said, there is always risk of some absolute bellend making a stupid decision but even then that tends to be within the wastewater. Polluting a few thousand fish here and there. Destroying natural habitats and so on.

I'm lucky enough to have well water and its great...much better then bottled water and its never ran out and its free.

It's treated well so it's not bad.

Not as good as that Chicago Champaign tho.

Back