Tap water quality where you live

supermurph

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So the town I live in is advising us to boil our drinking water because the system is contaminated with toxins above the PPM level. Not by much, but it still fails the maximum allowed by the state.

I have an inline water filter because the tap would usually have a heavy chlorine smell prior to this. And lately, with this issue, the water smells a wet dog. So I boiled the tap water forgetting about the filter, and put it in pitchers in the fridge. Tastes just like the deer park water coolers at work. Think I'll just do this going forward regardless of when they fix it.

But oddly enough, after just boiling the tap water and cooling it, that felt better to drink than the chilled filtered water. Is that all these bottled water companies do and call it spring water?

How's the water where you live? You have any filters or boil on a regular basis? Or are you the I drink carcinogens for breakfast and shit tumors kind of person?

Got a nice filtration system, so it is good to go. Seems the general quality is good though. Only when hurricanes come through do we get any warnings to boil water and such.

So the town I live in is advising us to boil our drinking water because the system is contaminated with toxins above the PPM level. Not by much, but it still fails the maximum allowed by the state.

I have an inline water filter because the tap would usually have a heavy chlorine smell prior to this. And lately, with this issue, the water smells a wet dog. So I boiled the tap water forgetting about the filter, and put it in pitchers in the fridge. Tastes just like the deer park water coolers at work. Think I'll just do this going forward regardless of when they fix it.

But oddly enough, after just boiling the tap water and cooling it, that felt better to drink than the chilled filtered water. Is that all these bottled water companies do and call it spring water?

How's the water where you live? You have any filters or boil on a regular basis? Or are you the I drink carcinogens for breakfast and shit tumors kind of person?

I live in Wayne County in Michigan. I don't trust that shit at all.

My tap water here isn't that bad, around 125 TDS. I have a RO/DI system to make water for my reef tank so I split a line out after the RO filter, before the DI resin that runs to my refrigerator for drinking water and ice. It drops the water down to around 5 TDS.

Live in Singapore.
Tap water is drinkable, in fact PUB the gov branch that take cares of water supply here test it multiple time a day, shocking I know. But we are just that tiny for this to be feasible.

I've seen joggers drink from tap in public parks when the free water dispenser is not available or under maintenance.

That said, I believe more than half of the people here still boil it before use. My family does it, I don't see the need of it as I drink from tap pretty often.

Sydney, I drink from the tap, use bubblers/fountains in parks etc.

I recall an issue about 25 years ago when they told us to boil it but otherwise never done that.

Ok but the ph is way to high and very hard. We have a water softer but still buy water because of the ph level.

Do toxins magically vanish after boiling? I thought you have to filter that.
I think boiling is to kill any bacteria in the water, that's it. If you want truly filtered water at home, get a RO system.

If you live in an old city or town chances are at least some portions of your infrastructure is super old, and if I were you, I would never drink that tap water.

Imagine living by 3M chemical factory back in the day lol. All your waterways are polluted and your local treatment plant have their heads up their asses

Buy a reverse osmosis system

Water quality where I live is fucking terrible. Hard water and shit. It's also why we produce the best whiskeys

Drinkable, and sometimes it's way too chlorinated.​
Do toxins magically vanish after boiling? I thought you have to filter that.
No, but some live bad bacteria stuff can't take that much heat.​

Back