Media Seems our boy Bones might be fighting at HW again after Stipe

It is

But the fact of the matter is that this is how fighters approach it and make these decisions.

Not understanding that says to me that you don't get it.

As far as I'm concerned, only looking at it as a sport is an idealistic fantasy. It would be great if that's actually how it was, but it isn't. So, we have to be real and acknowledge things as they are. Which is that this is entertainment.

I shouldn't even have to explain it, it's common sense, but every time a fighter doesn't sign a contract right away or opts for a more financially worthwhile fight, they're ducking, afraid or whatever.

It's almost always nonsense.

You don't have to explain it. Most people on here know that it is prize fighting. But that is only one part of it and you treat it like it's the only part that matters and you have done a very poor job arguing that it is. You only huff and puff and talk about how obvious it is and how dumb everybody else must be. Those are not arguments. That's insecure postering.

Last edited:
Probably the same way Stuart Austin did. Tom showed poor TDD in that fight. He was hip tossed by a much smaller man and submitted later in the fight. Tom’s sub defense isn’t perfect.
That was 9 years ago. It would be interesting to see how his TDD is now.

It's prize fighting, money and legacy have a pretty damn direct connection and relationship. Don't be obtuse just because it's Jones.
Prize fighting is Mayweather v McGregor or Tyson v Paul. Mega money fights that mean nothing to anyone's legacy. Jones is Goat. But I think Tom is the harder fight and better for his record. I'm also English so extremely biased and have fucked up teeth.

Reactions: JKS
I disagree. I'm not trying to put Tom down, but he doesn't have the grappling chops to worry me too much and his striking isn't that great. He seems to have good timing and yes he's well rounded but this is Jones we Rw talking about.
By comparison, you think Pereira has the grappling chops? I don't see it.

You don't have to explain it. Most people on here know that it is prize fighting. But that is only one part of it and you treat it like it's the only part that matters and you have done a very poor job arguing that it is. You only huff and puff and talk about how obvious it is and how dumb everybody else must be. Those are not arguments. That's insecure postering.
It's definitely not the only part that matters

It is just as much a sport, so I don't mean to say that we should just ignore hierarchy of rankings and deservedness. This aspect matters just as much, if not more.

I only emphasize prize fighting because it's the one thing fans seem to ignore. I wish it was just a sport too and we left out the circus completely, but it's not, so at some point it just becomes an incomplete, projected, idealistic fantasy, rather than an opinion based on how things actually are in the tangible world.

When we start being honest about these things, decisions that are made by fighters become that much less shrouded in mystery and there becomes more understanding. Which ultimately leads to that much less toxicity in the community, Imo.

I think I've touched almost all the notes of why Jones wouldn't want to fight Aspinall. At the end of the day, Jones wants to fight someone who inspires him to get up the morning and train to his potential. Someone with some accolades, notoriety, a name, someone with which to build a big fight / event.

You simply aren't getting these things with Aspinall and I think for what could be someone's final fight, it's a big deal. It's why most fighters nearing the end of their careers opt for the "right fight" and seem to universally speak of an opponent who gets the blood pumping. Having a much more substantial payout also plays a factor in this.

If Aspinall had some hype behind him and selling power, I don't think this would even be a discussion.

Imo, this is a much more sensible argument than being quick to claim cowardice, fear and ducking, which tends to be the norm.

Last edited:
It's definitely not the only part that matters

It is just as much a sport, so I don't mean to say that we should just ignore hierarchy of rankings and deservedness. This aspect matters just as much, if not more.

I only emphasize prize fighting because it's the one thing fans seem to ignore. I wish it was just a sport too and we left out the circus completely, but it's not, so at some point it just becomes an incomplete, projected, idealistic fantasy, rather than an opinion based on how things actually are in the tangible world.

When we start being honest about these things, decisions that are made by fighters become that much less shrouded in mystery and there becomes more understanding. Which ultimately leads to that much less toxicity in the community, Imo.

Bud, you are projecting a whole lot of that stuff. You were merely asked why you think some things and you flip out like a retard. Before you can say someone doesn't understand something, you might want to have an actual conversation with them to determine whether they understand something or not. Starting off with the preconceived notion that they don't know or they don't understand is a recipe for failure. And also, even if they know certain things, that doesn't mean they will come to the same conclusion as you will. This was just a bunch of narcissistic, defensive retoric without real merit.

Or otherwise you should just refrain from making threads, IMHO, if you can't deal with people asking simple questions about the subject you want to discuss.

Last edited:
Bud, you are projecting a whole lot of that stuff. You were mearly asked why you think some things and you flip out like a retard. Before you can say someone doesn't understand something, you might want to have an actual conversation with them to determine whether they understand something or not. Starting off with the preconceived notion that they don't know or they don't understand is a recipe for failure. And also, even if they know certain things, that doesn't mean they will come to the same conclusion as you will. This wss just a bunch of narcissistic, defensive retoric without real merit. Or otherwise you should just refrain from making threads, IMHO, if you can't deal with people asking simple questions about the subject you want to discuss.

What was narcissistic, defensive rhetoric about the post I just made though? I made reasonable points and did so respectfully.

Or you mean earlier in the thread, as I already apologized and made amends with said person for how I acted earlier.

Only thing i can do was address it, apologize for my part in unnecessary conflict and try to move forward more maturely.

There's really not much more that can be said or done, I've already moved past it and don't really have any interest beating a dead horse.

Ultimately, I agree. The way I approached things wasn't ideal.

Last edited:
That was Aspinall's fourth fight, nine years ago.

I think he may have improved slightly since then.
Conor showed a sub defense hole early in his career and that never changed later on. Whether that is the case or not in Tom’s case as well we’ll see.

Conor showed a sub defense hole early in his career and that never changed later on. Whether that is the case or not in Tom’s case as well we’ll see.
I'd be surprised. Aspinall has much better people around him.

Tom is a different scenario. His background in mma is more in BJJ and grappling. His early years he focused a lot on this and did grappling and BJJ tournaments in the UK, he's got a BB. Conor was a straight up boxer. Aspinal has shown a lot more grappling ability by subbing guys like Volkov and Arlovksi, two guys who are pretty hard to tap. I would have a lot more confidence in Tom as opposed to Conor.

By comparison, you think Pereira has the grappling chops? I don't see it.
He absolutely does not but had scary power with striking that's refined. I give him a better than normal punches chance if you will and Alex is now black belt level working on defensive wrestling

Tom is a different scenario. His background in mma is more in BJJ and grappling. His early years he focused a lot on this and did grappling and BJJ tournaments in the UK, he's got a BB. Conor was a straight up boxer. Aspinal has shown a lot more grappling ability by subbing guys like Volkov and Arlovksi, two guys who are pretty hard to tap. I would have a lot more confidence in Tom as opposed to Conor.

I'd also point out, Conor hardly has an issue with sub defense. What he has is a cardio and a giving up issue.

Hes actually shown decent grappling chops when he's fresh. He wrestlefucked Max Holloway with ease, while having blown out knee. He swept Nate Diaz on the ground, and he had more success defending Khabib's transitions than anybody else ever did.

His problem is, that all goes out of the window when he is tired, hurt or both. He mentally quits, allows people to take his back and gives up chokes without a fight, then taps as soon as the choke is in.

Aspinall as you said, one instance does not a pattern make. If people actually care to watch his fight with Austin, they will see how what happened was a mixture of lack of experience and maybe a little bit of fatigue creeping in.

While the fight didn't even go 2 rounds, it was relentless, back and forth and fought at an extremely high pace (especially by HW standards). Lots of wrestling and jockeying for position against the cage, with both getting takedowns. Aspinall usually being taken down when getting overly aggressive and rushing in with strikes (something he barely ever does anymore). And the finishing sequence was again, Aspinall being overly aggressive looking to advance position while landing ground and pound, while not controlling Austin's posture. Austin was able to grab the heel hook and Tom tapped fairly quickly, but it looked like he was exhausted. Austin looked like he was drowning prior to the sub. Really hard fight, and Aspinall was 21 its worth pointing out, in only his 4th fight.

Last edited:
Back