Aldo showed us again just how elite he is

Aldo didn't even need to retire. He did great against Merab. Merab didn't do much all fight and all his takedowns were nullified.
Aldo needed to be given once last title shot but that loss ruined it.

It’s actually becoming the norm. Look at longevity of guys like Jones, Poatan, Oliviera, Max, Poirier, Pantoja, Aljo, Figgy, Whittaker, Strickland etc
Oliviera - 16 yrs
Max - 14 yrs
Poirier - 15 yrs
Aljo - 13 yrs
Figgy - 12 yrs
Whittaker - 15 yrs
Strickland - 16 yrs

I somewhat agree but 20 yrs is not the same as 15 yrs. I'd be shocked if those guys 5 yrs from now, can beat a borderline top 10 guy. Aldo, in yr 18, lost a competitive dec to Merab, a guy whom is #1 ranked contender

Martinez looked like dog water tbh

Really liked his head movement, so subtle, ufc stats counted a lot of punches on him that was just grazing shit doing nothing.
His boxing really profitted, so much better. His right hand was a beauty.
A few nice kicks added, great TDD.
He looked better in this fight than he has in quite a while.

That opponent either really suited him or he is in damn good shape.
That’s what I saw too. His boxing has always been his weakest point. He has very little head movement before, and his footwork was always very plodding.

Last night he was using slips, feints, lateral footwork, crisp combos and he wasn’t loading up like he used to. He looked like a refined boxer out there and it was amazing to see.

On the point about the opponent, it actually wasn’t a good match up. Aldo has struggled with Southpaws and even commented on it in his post fight cage interview.

Martinez looked like dog water tbh
Nah, that’s because Aldo shut down his leg kicking game early in the fight. Martinez couldn’t put the pressure on him or rush him because the power of Aldo was just too much. He was right to be weary of what would be coming back at him if he really sat down and committed to his punches in the pocket.

Nah, that’s because Aldo shut down his leg kicking game early in the fight. Martinez couldn’t put the pressure on him or rush him because the power of Aldo was just too much. He was right to be weary of what would be coming back at him if he really sat down and committed to his punches in the pocket.
I just rewatched the fight an hour ago.

Shit. I'll watch it again right now. Aldo is the man.

Back