Where does Yoel Romero rank in MW History?

Skillwise he might be #2 after Silva. He arguably beat Izzy while 43 years old. He made his UFC debut 10 days before turning 36 and was 40 when he got his first title shot. Imagine if he entered the UFC at 26.
If we’re ranking his skill he’s very low. His wrestling was never good in mma and his striking was nothing but him doing short bursts of strikes to save his gas tank.

He is one of the scariest fighters in MW history… as well as one of the biggest, what if’s?

What if he came into MMA younger?
What if he wasn’t robbed in his close decisions?
What if he just did more in certain fights where he chose to just “coast”?
What if he fought Bisping instead of GSP when he was champ?

He is undoubtedly the most athletic guy in MW history and could beat literally anyone in the world prime for prime on any given night. The guy is a fucking unit and I’m still not convinced he wasn’t grown in a lab.

View attachment 1041905
…like who tf else did shit like this.
He had a close fight with Rob and neither one of his losses were robberies besides that one fight. The reason he coasted in fights is because he would gas in the first round if he didn’t. Lets not pretend he wasn’t completely juiced out of his mind

Yoel was in his early thirties by the time he started professionally fighting. Got his neck fused during his Strike Force run. By the time he fought Robert Whittaker, Romero was 8 years into his career and nearly 40 years old... He was 42 years old against Izzy.

Accomplishment-wise not so high. Potential wise yoels ceiling was high

Not that high. But pretty high out of all the guys to never get a title I guess.

He's by far the best fighter of those who really didn't accomplish much of anything

I rank Romero very high. He KO'ed Weidman and Rockhold. He TKO'ed Machida and Brunson. He had a close win over Jacare when both were the two best MWs on Earth. He had really close fights with Izzy and Costa. The only Middleweights I rank higher than Romero all time are Anderson, Izzy and Hendo.

Also shows how underrated Kennedy was who arguably made prime Homero quit on the stool. That MW division so deep and skilled it's insane.

Skillwise he might be #2 after Silva. He arguably beat Izzy while 43 years old. He made his UFC debut 10 days before turning 36 and was 40 when he got his first title shot. Imagine if he entered the UFC at 26.
I get what you're saying, but I think it's a combination of skill and athleticism. Skillwise, he didn't wrestle much except his very early fights, and his striking was pretty simple....mostly waiting around then trying to time a superman punch, flying knee or something. Besides Anderson, I think quite a few others had a bigger variety of skills. However, at his best, Yoel was a very tough fight for any MW past or present. His explosiveness made him super dangerous, and he was (and still is) very durable and hard to finish. Only a prime, juiced Cavalcante (who also demolished King Mo) finished him, and that was a very green Yoel.

Romero won every decision that be lost in the ufc.

He is basically the ufc me goat.

Don’t let others feed you false narratives telling you otherwise.

Obviously, a freak of nature, I have no doubt in my mind that if he fought Bisping for the belt, Bisping would of been dead meat and GSP would of never returned. But that being said, Bisping does have the more bountiful resume in terms of quantity and quality of fighters. Hell even Strickland/Dricus/Frank Shamrock might have claims to be placed above him. But absolutely, I have Silva, Hendo, Izzy, Weidman, and Poatan as beating him 7+./10. The rest, it is a coin toss.
Quite funny Weidman is rated so high when his claim to fame was 3 old brazilians and getting whooped ever since.

I don't rank him at all.

Remember all his shit like "i'LL sEE YoU SooN BOi!"

And then he gets a crack at Izzy and does sweet fuck all for the entire fight. Didn't think "see you soon" meant he was gonna go in there and put on a staring context.

Cuban DNB bum.

Was good when he butchered and then kissed Cockhold though. Epic moment lol.

Weedman lol the dude made his name fighting old men and got very lucky, plus his recent antics are disgraceful, not top 10 maybe not even 15

Back