• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social The first medically supervised injection facility in Ireland and the UK will open in Dublin in September

panem-et-circenses

In the garden
Reaction score
"The first medically supervised injection facility in Ireland and the UK will open in Dublin in September, providing “dignity” and “humanity” to some of the “most marginalised” people in society, says the charity operating it.

Eddie Mullins, chief executive of Merchant’s Quay Ireland (MQI) and former governor of Mountjoy Prison, describes the new facility as “exciting”, adding it will remove some open drug use from the streets, reduce drug-related litter, and save lives."

Included in the Programme for Government the facility has been almost a decade in the making, having first been proposed at Cabinet in 2015 by Aodhán Ó Ríordáin, then minister of State with responsibility for the National Drugs Strategy.

. . . will open as an 18-month pilot initially. It will be located in the basement beneath MQI’s Riverbank location in the south inner city, and will operate seven days a week, for about seven hours a day.

The Irish Times

I think decriminalizing is the route to go, even with the massive implications such a move will make, but I do feel for local business that are close to these centers. Clearly, combating drug use is one of the major issues of our time, yet it all seems to be for naught.

Anyone who looks at it with any compassion would see that this is a step in the right direction. Safe places to use the drugs they are addicted to along with a prescribed supply of said drugs and rehab program would be much more humane than the current punitive system.

"The first medically supervised injection facility in Ireland and the UK will open in Dublin in September, providing “dignity” and “humanity” to some of the “most marginalised” people in society, says the charity operating it.

Eddie Mullins, chief executive of Merchant’s Quay Ireland (MQI) and former governor of Mountjoy Prison, describes the new facility as “exciting”, adding it will remove some open drug use from the streets, reduce drug-related litter, and save lives."

The Irish Times

I think decriminalizing is the route to go, even with the massive implications such a move will make, but I do feel for local business that are close to these centers. Clearly, combating drug use is one of the major issues of our time, yet it all seems to be for naught.

Yeah, any business in that immediate area will be closing down and moving on.

It starts this way, then the streets become the “safe space” as they stop arresting anyone for shooting up. Then you become Kensington
Yeah, I'd like to know how they see this playing through, and whether they even recognize the possibility of this increasing drug use and turning the area into a massive drug den.

The go to "but but Portugal" seems dead in the water now, with the streets covered in child beggars, dire poverty, and rate of drug use and ODs straight up skyrocketing.

Addicts are people who rip the efiing time release off pills, snort parmesan cheese, and drink cough syrup to get a little high, and they quit when they either die or hit rock bottom and look around at the repugnant shit they go through to score more drugs, and some brainiacs decided "maybe they'll quit randomly for no reason if we give them a safe space to shoot up and destigmatize being wasted all day".

BTW, all the same people are complete hardasses about smoking cigarettes and want that completely banned everywhere. No smoking sections, you have to walk at least 50 feet away from any building to smoke, and it better not be within view of any other person, and every lib Karen will pretend to cough if you're within 100 feet of them, but when it comes to smoking crack or shooting heroin, well obviously we need compassion and to give them a safe place to shoot up and shower in the sink of a Starbucks.

Anyone who looks at it with any compassion would see that this is a step in the right direction. Safe places to use the drugs they are addicted to along with a prescribed supply of said drugs and rehab program would be much more humane than the current punitive system.
This is another step in keeping them addicted and making it i easier for them to stay on drugs and potentially attract new users. Look at methadone and suboxone clinics. They do not help the people get off drugs. They just help them with a steady supply and place to get and do it.

The goal is not compassion and help. The goal is to grow the amount of addicts and keep them on drugs.

If you mean Big Pharma, then yes.
Does Ireland even have a "big pharma", and why would they want more people shooting up street drugs? Pharma companies have significant impact on politicians, but I don't see the upside for them here.

This will go on untill it turns to total shit. Then when it does they will make excuses on why it did.

I'm for decriminalization of simple possession but setting up government "shooting galleries" is a stupid idea.

Not sure why the UK is mentioned in the title in what is seemingly a purely Republic of Ireland thing (aimed at the article rather than TS). Is there some sort of cross border link on this?

I'm also not sure who should be more offended.

Does Ireland even have a "big pharma", and why would they want more people shooting up street drugs? Pharma companies have significant impact on politicians, but I don't see the upside for them here.
No idea. Maybe Conor Mcgregor is funding it.

Yeah, I'd like to know how they see this playing through, and whether they even recognize the possibility of this increasing drug use and turning the area into a massive drug den.

The go to "but but Portugal" seems dead in the water now, with the streets covered in child beggars, dire poverty, and rate of drug use and ODs straight up skyrocketing.

Addicts are people who rip the efiing time release off pills, snort parmesan cheese, and drink cough syrup to get a little high, and they quit when they either die or hit rock bottom and look around at the repugnant shit they go through to score more drugs, and some brainiacs decided "maybe they'll quit randomly for no reason if we give them a safe space to shoot up and destigmatize being wasted all day".

BTW, all the same people are complete hardasses about smoking cigarettes and want that completely banned everywhere. No smoking sections, you have to walk at least 50 feet away from any building to smoke, and it better not be within view of any other person, and every lib Karen will pretend to cough if you're within 100 feet of them, but when it comes to smoking crack or shooting heroin, well obviously we need compassion and to give them a safe place to shoot up and shower in the sink of a Starbucks.
Snorting parmesean cheese gets you high?

Why didn't anyone TELL ME??

Snorting parmesean cheese gets you high?

Why didn't anyone TELL ME??

VFYJXIuuFl6pO.webp

I empathize with anyone trapped in the struggle because I know it all too well but making it easier to stay locked in your hopeless pit of addiction isnt the way to fix the problem
Until they cut funding and closed the centre it actually worked in San Francisco in terms of saving lives due to ODing.

Not sure why the UK is mentioned in the title in what is seemingly a purely Republic of Ireland thing (aimed at the article rather than TS). Is there some sort of cross border link on this?

I'm also not sure who should be more offended.

Came here to post this. Dublin is not part of the United Kingdom, and the Irish would not be amused to hear it referred to as such.

Back