Sherbytes: Industry News Megathread, v.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like any future LOTR/The Hobbit video game projects will be through Embracer Group and their video game subsidiaries (THQ Nordic, Saber Interactive, Gearbox doesn't feel like a fit for LOTR) as Embracer Group are acquiring the IP rights to the LOTR/The Hobbit (apart from the TV rights - The Tolkein estate still holds those)

FaanOEpUYAAaSOG

Embracer have also acquired this week :
Bitwave Games, Gioteck, Limited Run Games, Singtrix, Tatsujin, Tripwire Interactive, and Tuxedo Lab

Saw this following the Rings of Power news. I'm guessing Monolith wont be back for their Shadow of War series? If not, it's really unfortunate. Even with the terrible loot system (and subsequent withdrawal form it) the Shadow of War series games were great fun packed with Tolkien lore. Gollum on the other hand, looks terrible. Don't even get me started on the Mobile game. I downloaded it and played for 15-20mins before deleting it.

Looks like any future LOTR/The Hobbit video game projects will be through Embracer Group and their video game subsidiaries (THQ Nordic, Saber Interactive, Gearbox doesn't feel like a fit for LOTR) as Embracer Group are acquiring the IP rights to the LOTR/The Hobbit (apart from the TV rights - The Tolkein estate still holds those)

FaanOEpUYAAaSOG

Embracer have also acquired this week :
Bitwave Games, Gioteck, Limited Run Games, Singtrix, Tatsujin, Tripwire Interactive, and Tuxedo Lab
Limited Run Games and pretty much all limited print companies are completely scummy, but I get the feeling Embracer is going to take that to the next level. Wouldn't be surprised if they do stuff like requiring English to be patched out of the import version of their releases like with what happened to Cotton Reboot. Hopefully they don't jank up Tatsujin as well.

Grapevine: Blade title getting Ubi treatment. *Vampire's Creed: Far Blade Division

Following the success of Marvel’s Spider-Man from Insomniac Games, it isn’t a surprise that other developers are keen to replicate its critical reception. With Midnight Suns and Marvel’s Wolverine in the works, it appears that Ubisoft is collaborating with the iconic comic-book company too.

Blade is set enter the MCU in November, 2023 and will be part of Phase 5 in Marvel Studio’s ongoing saga.

Grapevine: Blade title getting Ubi treatment. *Vampire's Creed: Far Blade Division

Following the success of Marvel’s Spider-Man from Insomniac Games, it isn’t a surprise that other developers are keen to replicate its critical reception. With Midnight Suns and Marvel’s Wolverine in the works, it appears that Ubisoft is collaborating with the iconic comic-book company too.

Blade is set enter the MCU in November, 2023 and will be part of Phase 5 in Marvel Studio’s ongoing saga.

The names on the film board are people working on the film version coming out next year

What’s this? The next Assassin’s Creed will go back to Ezio?
Some are talking OG remake under wraps but it's really in celebration of the 15th anniversary of AC, as far as I know, which launched in November 2007. Ubi is hosting a challenge called the 12 Trials among other things featuring giveaways for fans who can prove they know the lore inside and out. You can check it out here.

Really glad this didn't materialise and can't fathom how it would've worked with this game. Thoughts?

“So we were being told ‘make this, make that’, it was really hard on the directors at the time. ‘Online multiplayer’ this, ‘downloadable content’ that. ‘Ongoing service games! Microtransactions! Make a Resident Evil game that ticks all those boxes!’

“Seriously, there were so many demands… those poor directors. Finally, our president,[Kenzo] Tsujimoto stepped in. He’d heard about all the unsuccessful attempts at that point. So this is one of those unforgettable moments for me.

“It was January 4, the first working day of the new year. The president called me to his office. ‘Resident Evil 7 is in pretty bad shape. Takeuchi-kun, step in and help make it!’ So that’s how I ended up working on Resident Evil 7.”

Takeuchi explained that when he then joined the team he pushed to enlist Nakanishi as the game’s director, then set about trying to remove the live service and microtransaction features Capcom was trying to implement.

cc: @Dizzy

Really glad this didn't materialise and can't fathom how it would've worked with this game. Thoughts?

“So we were being told ‘make this, make that’, it was really hard on the directors at the time. ‘Online multiplayer’ this, ‘downloadable content’ that. ‘Ongoing service games! Microtransactions! Make a Resident Evil game that ticks all those boxes!’

“Seriously, there were so many demands… those poor directors. Finally, our president,[Kenzo] Tsujimoto stepped in. He’d heard about all the unsuccessful attempts at that point. So this is one of those unforgettable moments for me.

“It was January 4, the first working day of the new year. The president called me to his office. ‘Resident Evil 7 is in pretty bad shape. Takeuchi-kun, step in and help make it!’ So that’s how I ended up working on Resident Evil 7.”

Takeuchi explained that when he then joined the team he pushed to enlist Nakanishi as the game’s director, then set about trying to remove the live service and microtransaction features Capcom was trying to implement.

cc: @Dizzy

<Varys01>

If there was one thing that could have put the final mail in Resident Evil after 6, this would have been it.

I’m glad Capcom is embracing what made this franchise so successful, more or less.

<Varys01>

If there was one thing that could have put the final mail in Resident Evil after 6, this would have been it.

I’m glad Capcom is embracing what made this franchise so successful, more or less.
They leant more shooter in Village though, right? Still have yet to play it myself. RE7 for me played much more story and suspense than shooter – but I like shooters, so am anticipating a good mix when I get around to jumping in.

Reactions: hsz
They leant more shooter in Village though, right? Still have yet to play it myself. RE7 for me played much more story and suspense than shooter – but I like shooters, so am anticipating a good mix when I get around to jumping in.
Yeah more of an action oriented game than survival horror but that’s been going on since 3. It works well when done right.

I felt Village hit that blend pretty well. It embraced the camp of RE that’s been there from the start but also had those fast paced action segments. Really fun ride.

This looks way better than I expected. Kind of burned out on zombie games but I'm keeping my eye on this.

Is there a Gamescon thread or should we discuss it here? @Valhoven
Here makes sense, brother, with how short-lived back and forth is on modern gaming trade fairs; if you want to build out a marquee OP, I'd be open to otherwise. Maybe going forward I can also subtitle thread for a live, at-the-moment industry topic that everyone's interested in.

This type pressure or thinking ^ reminds me of the 'SP is dead' marketing from EA in matter-of-fact masquerade. GTFO.
That’s why the big corporate industry games lost my support. I prefer SP offline. Don’t wanna be hammered with upgrade requests or other nonsense. Would rather check out a straightforward indie game or a remake of a classic. If it doesn’t have a good SP I’m out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peyman
Back