Johnnie Walker is the best bang for your buck in the Scotch world.

I'm not a hard alcohol guy but I tried some Lagavulin and it was very confusing. It was like a mixture of an old gross wet piece of leather and absolutely delicious. No wonder it's Ron Swanson's favorite.
You just gotta get used with the peat. after a while you'll love that wet burnt ship in dry dock taste.

It’s a ghost scotch. Not enough finish on it to be anywhere near the best. Price is outrageous so you can say you have tasted a 50 year blend and Johnny Walkers flagship offering,

Back when I was young and poor as fuck I had a rental which was a guest house in Burbank CA which had a 1/2 bath but it was fully fenced in and had a garage.

Perfect for me with dogs & gf (now wife) and a pro musician. Made the garage into an amazing studio for rehearsal or recording, complete with pro tools, piano, side by side drum sets, and stolen cable.

But that pesky half bath...

So I ran hoses, like literal actual garden hoses off the hot and cold from the outdoor washer dryer, to a plastic/pvc "poolside shower" and created an outdoor shower.

Great about 10 months of the year, but even LA gets nippy OUTSIDE in december/January. It would get to 40-50 degrees (F) some days and that little 20 foot sprint inside would freeze your tits off, so I kept a bottle of Dewars. Never liked Dewars. But that BURN proved to be a perfect counter measure to the cold air when the hot water went off. I'd take a big ol swig of dewars right before I shut the water and that warmth would stay with me on my walk around the corner back into the guest house.

Last edited:
I'm not a hard alcohol guy but I tried some Lagavulin and it was very confusing. It was like a mixture of an old gross wet piece of leather and absolutely delicious. No wonder it's Ron Swanson's favorite.
Lagavulin is liquid bagpipe. The best before and after a gig.

giphy.gif

That's what I thought too until I did the blind taste tests and kept picking the red label over other more expensive bottles.

Which is great for me. I get to save money now.

Great for your wallet.
I just find it too rough and that weird plastic note i get with a lot of young whiskies.
I use it for cocktails/Ginger Ale mixes only.
They had a Special Release aged in Rye Casks that was pretty cheap a couple years ago.
csm_0_740f5e_jowalrery_aw_43cffd4b1f.jpg

I prefer single malts because they are more, how you put it, characteristic?

I've never heard of any of those, so thank you. Hopefully they're not hard to find.

When you say Johnnie Walker is meh, are you talking about the red and black? Have you tried the gold reserve?

To be fair I am talking red and black, never had the gold reserve. In that price range c.£50 there is lots of stuff that interests me more.

ssBaldy said:

I prefer single malts because they are more, how you put it, characteristic?

My point of "Your Palette", a taste describable or not, or the exact perfect one for you at the time. A new taste can be a better replacement for a drink.

You just rattled off a bunch of of some stuff I have never heard of. I guess I can research those though.
If ya can, do it. So many out there now that another type or blend may amaze you. Your "blind taste tests" are open-minded and the ticket for the true pleasure of Your Palette, not your wallet or your friend's choice.

Last edited:
That’s my go to,
Many memories with Black Label.

That good old buzzard Johnny Walker…

characterful? distinct personality?
My head works slowly today. What I mean is single malts have an accentuated type of taste, highlands being fruity, islays being smoky, and blends are... Blends? It is not bad by any means but not exactly what I look for in a whisky drink.
Tbh I switched to rum lately. Much cheaper and easier to get excellent rum than decent scotch.

Balvenie double wood is the best bang for your buck if you ask me. Pre-pandemic it was 40$, still can find it for 50.

Most blended scotch tastes the same to me, I usually get J&B

I’ve got several bottles of Johnnie Walker at home.

Gold, Island Green, green, and my personal favorite; Blade Runner 2049 edition (black)

I had three bottles of that one (wrapped, in a box, etc.) but I got drunk during lockdown and drank one and a half of those bottles :(

They do know how to to blend for sure, it's decent quality for a very low price. Can't hate on JW at all. If you are a Whisky nerd and want to try all kinds of different Single Malts, cask maturations, ages, single casks etc. then obviously JW isn't the right stuff. Had the 15 year old blended malt (green) and it was really nice.

Definitely won't hate on anyone enjoying JW.

Back