Is UFC 301 a fight night level card?

Its a card for Brazil. Lotta prospects. But still very weak

Yeah, the old fight night cards were better than most modern ppv's. Some people don't like to admit it but it's true. Back then the UFC had to put out quality before ESPN came along, it doesn't effect them anymore if they put out shit cards.
Not really. The formula has been the same (more or less) since "back then"

There are guys who are on 7+ fight win streaks and ppl aren't saying shit about em. I think there are several issues, mostly bc of sheer volume of fights. But build the best possible card in any given month from the events of that month and ull see we have more and better fights. Just a lot more fluff nowadays

The main event is week but the undercard is fairly decent -- I'd say it's either a weak PPV or strong Fight Night.

Yeah I'd normally be hyped for an Aldo comeback, but I get the idea he's only doing this for contractual obligations so he can continue boxing after or something.
You're right and Aldo pretty much confirmed he's coming back so he can fight on the Jake Paul-Tyson card. So sad that he has to do all this just cause Dana has a problem with Jake and his manager.

Always get confused when people bash the current PPVs. What era was better? Go look at the past PPVs in Rio. That being said, this card has a ton of interesting fights:

- The prelims alone have:
  • Jean Silva vs William Gomis
  • Elves Brenner vs Myktybek Orolbai
  • Iasmin Lucindo who is one of the best prospects at SW
  • Featured prelim between Joanderson Brito (who has wins over Chepe, Touchy Fili, and Diego Lopes) and 17-1 Jack Shore.
- Main card has:
  • Caio Borralho vs Paul Craig: One of the MW division's best prospects taking on one of a handful of guys that is his equal on the ground (hope we get to see some grappling exchanges)
  • Michel Pereira who doesn't know how to be boring. He has looked like an absolute killer since moving up to MW. Who doesn't like a good choreographed dance routine before the demolition of a man's liver?
  • Anthony Smith vs Vitor Petrino: The LHW is short on prospects and Petrino is about as good as it gets. Anthony Smith will likely never contend for a title again, but he is a test you have to pass if you want to fight for one. The type of fighter that holds a mirror up to their opponent and shows them who they are.
  • Jonathan Martinez vs Jose Aldo: One of the most devastating leg kickers in the game taking on one of the OGs of brutal leg kicks. If anybody is going to be able to check Martinez's inside leg kick it's Aldo. Also, if you don't get goosebumps thinking about the King of Rio going out with one more fight in front of the hometown fans, we can't be friends.
  • Alexandre Pantoja vs Steve Erceg: Admittedly this is a little soon for Erceg, but he proved in his short notice debut against Dvorak that the moment isn't too big for him. Very interested to see how he handles the kamikaze pace that Pantoja brings.

Unproven? Pantoja has been dominating this division to the point that they have trouble finding a contender since he has wins over #1 Moreno, #2 Royval, #5 Perez, #7 Kape, and Amir is injured...
Unproven champion. Def a proven elite fighter in Flyweight division. He's a champ who is making his first defense in a lowly regarded division (by the public) where the belt has changed hands every fight for like 4 years. That's not something that's going to make a PPV card look impressive to the casuals.

Of course, as a hardcore fan, I'm going to watch and is mildly excited (come on, #10 Erceg with one solid win?) but relative to other cards, that's a terrible headliner.

It draws less interest than about 8 non-main event fights on 300.

It's slightly better than last year's UFC Noche so I'd say it could pass for a really good fight night.

Meow
cool-fun.gif
Oh hey there :)

cute-cat-winking-9t0d31nexaoljud9.gif

I'm just happy we get to see Aldo fight again, I love Aldo, always a fan! War Aldo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lets go.

Always get confused when people bash the current PPVs. What era was better? Go look at the past PPVs in Rio. That being said, this card has a ton of interesting fights:

I think you're missing the point - that it's a fight night level card, not that you, a super hardcore fan, can find interest in every fight. I'm a hardcore fan too, so I can understand every one of your arguments, but I'm able to take a step back from my own perspective and see that it doesn't disprove the OP's statement that it's a fight night level card.

You're a hardcore fan, and if you are honest, I can see you dissect 90% of every UFC card as exciting, interesting, or nostalgic.

That's not the point, the point is relative to other PPV cards, this one is extremely week, and compares to a Fight Night level card in terms of star power and relevance. Yes, I know every single fight has value to you. Here, I'll pick a couple of random ones from a Fight Night undercard coming up:

Terrance McKinney vs. Esteban Ribovics
Chase Hooper vs. Viacheslav Borshchev

If you're being fair and honest, I am sure you'd be able to hype every two completely nondescript fights to an average fan that these two fights are so exciting and offers so much possibilities.

Hell, I'm sure you can hype up Tabatha Ricci vs. Tecia Pennington (which I'm interested in seeing) unless you're a WMA hater.

Unproven champion. Def a proven elite fighter in Flyweight division. He's a champ who is making his first defense in a lowly regarded division (by the public) where the belt has changed hands every fight for like 4 years. That's not something that's going to make a PPV card look impressive to the casuals.

Of course, as a hardcore fan, I'm going to watch and is mildly excited (come on, #10 Erceg with one solid win?) but relative to other cards, that's a terrible headliner.

It draws less interest than about 8 non-main event fights on 300.
This is his second defense. He's beaten number 1 2x, number 2 2x, number 5 and number 7. Number 3 is injured and number 4 is on a two fight losing streak. That leaves Mokaev, but I'm guessing he was passed over because he had a boring fight.

- The prelims alone have:
  • Jean Silva vs William Gomis
  • Elves Brenner vs Myktybek Orolbai
  • Iasmin Lucindo who is one of the best prospects at SW
  • Featured prelim between Joanderson Brito (who has wins over Chepe, Touchy Fili, and Diego Lopes) and 17-1 Jack Shore.
- Main card has:
  • Caio Borralho vs Paul Craig: One of the MW division's best prospects taking on one of a handful of guys that is his equal on the ground (hope we get to see some grappling exchanges)
  • Michel Pereira who doesn't know how to be boring. He has looked like an absolute killer since moving up to MW. Who doesn't like a good choreographed dance routine before the demolition of a man's liver?
  • Anthony Smith vs Vitor Petrino: The LHW is short on prospects and Petrino is about as good as it gets. Anthony Smith will likely never contend for a title again, but he is a test you have to pass if you want to fight for one. The type of fighter that holds a mirror up to their opponent and shows them who they are.
  • Jonathan Martinez vs Jose Aldo: One of the most devastating leg kickers in the game taking on one of the OGs of brutal leg kicks. If anybody is going to be able to check Martinez's inside leg kick it's Aldo. Also, if you don't get goosebumps thinking about the King of Rio going out with one more fight in front of the hometown fans, we can't be friends.
  • Alexandre Pantoja vs Steve Erceg: Admittedly this is a little soon for Erceg, but he proved in his short notice debut against Dvorak that the moment isn't too big for him. Very interested to see how he handles the kamikaze pace that Pantoja brings.
This comment comes from someone who CLEARLY watches the sport and I can't agree more. There are lots of interesting or exciting names on the card

Last edited:
I think you're missing the point - that it's a fight night level card, not that you, a super hardcore fan, can find interest in every fight. I'm a hardcore fan too, so I can understand every one of your arguments, but I'm able to take a step back from my own perspective and see that it doesn't disprove the OP's statement that it's a fight night level card.

You're a hardcore fan, and if you are honest, I can see you dissect 90% of every UFC card as exciting, interesting, or nostalgic.

That's not the point, the point is relative to other PPV cards, this one is extremely week, and compares to a Fight Night level card in terms of star power and relevance. Yes, I know every single fight has value to you. Here, I'll pick a couple of random ones from a Fight Night undercard coming up:

Terrance McKinney vs. Esteban Ribovics
Chase Hooper vs. Viacheslav Borshchev

If you're being fair and honest, I am sure you'd be able to hype every two completely nondescript fights to an average fan that these two fights are so exciting and offers so much possibilities.

Hell, I'm sure you can hype up Tabatha Ricci vs. Tecia Pennington (which I'm interested in seeing) unless you're a WMA hater.
I mean let's not pretend McKinney vs Esteban and Chase vs Slava Claus aren't amazing fights <BC1>

Point I was making is that not every PPV has to have multiple title fights for it to be a great card. People have a certain nostalgia for the older era of PPVs making it seem like they were loaded top to bottom, when in reality a lot of them were closer in quality to today's road show Fight Nights.

Without the the title fight could this be an absolutely loaded Fight Night? Sure, but let's not pretend that this card is on the level of any of the upcoming fights nights (not including the Saudi Arabia card, since that one is a title fight short of a PPV).

Yep, they really had to worry about viewership and ticket sales back then. Nowadays, they mostly just have to worry about putting cards together to fulfill their contractual obligations. I like having cards almost every weekend, but it’s undeniable the quality in general has declined.

There's no way you could put this many cards together with the past roster tbh sir.
Certainly wouldn't have had a bunch of stacked cards.

@Poirierfan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
doubleEYEpoke
Back