Is the Elite brand BJJ gi any good?

Adamant

Adamantium Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I am super close to beginning my BJJ journey and right now I'm looking at gi's. I went in to the school outside of class hours and one of the black belts there told me I could wear any gi I wanted. I didn't need to buy the school gi. He said school gi's are ~$100-120 (I didn't catch what brand they were). But I saw the Elite gi's are like $60 online. Are they any good? I noticed they are 48% Cotton, 52% Polyester. Is that better than a 100% cotton gi?

1702803650266.png

I am super close to beginning my BJJ journey and right now I'm looking at gi's. I went in to the school outside of class hours and one of the black belts there told me I could wear any gi I wanted. I didn't need to buy the school gi. He said school gi's are ~$100-120 (I didn't catch what brand they were). But I saw the Elite gi's are like $60 online. Are they any good? I noticed they are 48% Cotton, 52% Polyester. Is that better than a 100% cotton gi?

View attachment 1017889
No clue on Elite. Most people I know that where them seem to upgrade to other brands pretty quickly as they commit to the sport.

If you want good quality and cheap, I recommened Tatami. They always have sales on their gear and most gis are made in the same factory. My best gi was a Hypefly that has lasted me ages if that helps. Only gi I own that has never shrunk at all.

My Tatami is my daily go to and I paid around this price for it.

I think they are fine for beginner. They usually buy this or Sanabul. They are cheap and the commitment isn't much. I think the weave matters more. 100 percent Cotton will sometimes shrink so take that to account. Maybe it's a personal thing but I feel that cotton have a little more give than the blends.

You can also go look at BJJHQ? They have updated daily sales. Sometimes the stuff is good and cheap.

No clue on Elite. Most people I know that where them seem to upgrade to other brands pretty quickly as they commit to the sport.

If you want good quality and cheap, I recommened Tatami. They always have sales on their gear and most gis are made in the same factory. My best gi was a Hypefly that has lasted me ages if that helps. Only gi I own that has never shrunk at all.

My Tatami is my daily go to and I paid around this price for it.

I think they are fine for beginner. They usually buy this or Sanabul. They are cheap and the commitment isn't much. I think the weave matters more. 100 percent Cotton will sometimes shrink so take that to account. Maybe it's a personal thing but I feel that cotton have a little more give than the blends.

You can also go look at BJJHQ? They have updated daily sales. Sometimes the stuff is good and cheap.
Never heard of BJJHQ but I'll check them out. I'll check out Tatami and Hypefly too.

I was thinking of starting with something cheap and then when I lose some weight, ordering an Origin Nano Path gi. From what I can tell people seem to LOVE those. And they look cool. And the Pro pants seem awesome. I just want to wait until I can knock off a few LBs before ordering. Don't want to spend all that money now just to have it be way too big in 2-3 months.

Any idea how Hypefly compares to Origin?

Never heard of BJJHQ but I'll check them out. I'll check out Tatami and Hypefly too.

I was thinking of starting with something cheap and then when I lose some weight, ordering an Origin Nano Path gi. From what I can tell people seem to LOVE those. And they look cool. And the Pro pants seem awesome. I just want to wait until I can knock off a few LBs before ordering. Don't want to spend all that money now just to have it be way too big in 2-3 months.

Any idea how Hypefly compares to Origin?
Origin is about as expensive a gi as you can buy. Never worn one because I am not American.
Hyperfly was a massive name at one point but I don't see them as much these days. I have a Hyperlyte that has lasted me over 9 years of 1-2x a week use. It hasn't changed colour or size the entire time. My main gi is a Tatami Nova i bought on sale for the price of your elite gi. I would never bother buying an expensive gi these days. I just grab whatever is on sale from whatever brand. They are pretty much the same.

Back