• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Highlander (1986) is an underated movie

<EdgyBrah>

Naaaaah you right 2 was pretty bad actually but I liked it for some reason

If it had just been released as some standalone wacky sci fi action thing that didn't have to make all that much sense...then it's not that bad.

But it has been decades and I still can't believe that it was written as a sequel to Highlander.

I have never seen anything else like this that I can think of in the history of film. It would be like if...Jaws 2 came out and it turned out the shark from the first movie was actually a robot transformer from the moon and by the way Robert Shaw is back because he was from the moon too.

Christopher Lambert tried to get Clancy Brown to come back for the sequel. Clancy read the script and was like...wtf is this shit?

Which one? there were multiple Highlander TV spin-offs in the 1990s

I never paid attention to them but I was aware they introduced a female immortal at some point

Amanda_%28Highlander%29.jpg

18441257.jpg
The show with Duncan. Adrian Paul. That was great.
The one with the female was a spin off from the show. She was a character on it. Okay character to make a spin off about, but the spin off was really meh. What everyone really wanted was a spin off for the Methos character.

It’s one concept that could have an amazing expanded “universe” of characters.

I looked up if there were any novels but the one I saw didn’t look great.

The Lore of Highlander and the first movie are phenomenal though. The sequel? Not so much. Let’s pretend like that isn’t canon.
It isn't lol. The show became Canon

There was one after End Game called The Source. That one was Syfy movie channel bad.

You should watch the first one and then the anime. The anime is honestly done well. The director was involved in Vampire D Bloodlust, Ninja Scroll and other classics.

The source is worse than highlander 2, and that's a bar I never thought i would see the limbo on

What's wrong with the live action show?
The show is arguably as good as the first movie

The show, until the finale of season 5 was phenomenal for its day. I still go back and watch the show every 5 or 6 years.

The first season was a tad slow and cookie cutter. Duncan Macleod meets villain, Duncan beheads villain

Season 2 ramped the storyline in a new direction with the watchers and it worked great.

Seasons 3 and 4 are some of the GOAT highlander stuff.

Season 5 had some amazing episodes, but it started showing age and going in some absurd directions and had more of what i call "wiener" episodes, and that's saying something considering its a show about immortals who can only die by beheading. Season 6 you could tell was going to be the end of the road for this show.

If it had just been released as some standalone wacky sci fi action thing that didn't have to make all that much sense...then it's not that bad.

But it has been decades and I still can't believe that it was written as a sequel to Highlander.

I have never seen anything else like this that I can think of in the history of film. It would be like if...Jaws 2 came out and it turned out the shark from the first movie was actually a robot transformer from the moon and by the way Robert Shaw is back because he was from the moon too.

Christopher Lambert tried to get Clancy Brown to come back for the sequel. Clancy read the script and was like...wtf is this shit?

Scifi often gets into believing the crap critics write sadly. Critics will just rant about everything being bland and unoriginal and demand writers take things in new directions for sequels and it usually backfires.

I mean sometimes it works. Fucking James Cameron took Alien, a phenomenal suspense thriller and said "ok, we have seen 1 alien vs a bunch of regular pussies on a ship, now let's multiply them and send in the marines" and it worked like a fucking charm.

but usually, instead you get shit like.....highlander 2, Chronicles of Riddick and predator 2

The show with Duncan. Adrian Paul. That was great.
The one with the female was a spin off from the show. She was a character on it. Okay character to make a spin off about, but the spin off was really meh. What everyone really wanted was a spin off for the Methos character.

highlander: The Raven

And yeah that show sucked. For one, Rebecca wasn't a fucking highlander. She's an immortal girl from France turned thief. On the show she worked in small doses.

Highlander season 6 had like 6 Episodes where they test ran different female immortals for the spinoff show and none of them did any good, so they just went with Amanda. A girl who regularly got her ass kicked on the show and had to be saved by Duncan lol

well probably not but I was rewatching this a while ago and thought the cinematography was exceptional. i can't find the scene but there's a scene Ramirez is knocked down in sparring and his Katana appears to be sticking into him from the side. It's a form of foreshadowing I didn't notice at the time. The actors have unsuitable weird accents which I always thought was strange but makes a hell of a lot more sense when you remember they are immortal and likely wouldn't adopt standard accents anyway. Mcleod's accent pretty much sounds like what you'd expect a world travelling immortal to sound like. The whole look and design of Ramirez also looks like a dude who just stopped giving a shit. On top of that you have the soundtrack and the scenery/coloring is very well shot

Highlander%202.jpg
It's one of the best action/fantasy films of all time. The sequels are easily forgettable though.

well probably not but I was rewatching this a while ago and thought the cinematography was exceptional. i can't find the scene but there's a scene Ramirez is knocked down in sparring and his Katana appears to be sticking into him from the side. It's a form of foreshadowing I didn't notice at the time. The actors have unsuitable weird accents which I always thought was strange but makes a hell of a lot more sense when you remember they are immortal and likely wouldn't adopt standard accents anyway. Mcleod's accent pretty much sounds like what you'd expect a world travelling immortal to sound like. The whole look and design of Ramirez also looks like a dude who just stopped giving a shit. On top of that you have the soundtrack and the scenery/coloring is very well shot

Highlander%202.jpg
It's a cult classic but it does have some weird scenes like the guy in the garage running away doing backflips that keep it from being rated too highly.

One of my favourite 80s action movies. Connery was only there 3 days which is why they filmed so many close ups of him to be put in later. It still annoys me the way his character Ramirez didn't follow up on The Kurgan when he had him in big trouble. Kind of like Diaz v Edwards or Thiago Silva v Shadface. Just stands there saying yes. A lot of it doesn't make much sense (like not killing someone on holy ground as if the kurgan would give a shit. Also if there can only be one ultimately he would have had to kill his friends anyway or vice versa so why they didn't do it straight away is ???) Love the soundtrack as well. If you haven't seen the sequels I can highly recommend not bothering as they are all utter rubbish.

In the TV show they talk about a legend where two immortals fought on holy ground and Mt. Vesuvius blew up burying Pompeii. In Highlander 4 the bad guy straight up murders people on holy ground so there's another inconsistency.

The real reason is to advance the plot. Letting enemy immortals chat helps move the story along and help in character development.

In the TV show they talk about a legend where two immortals fought on holy ground and Mt. Vesuvius blew up burying Pompeii. In Highlander 4 the bad guy straight up murders people on holy ground so there's another inconsistency.

The real reason is to advance the plot. Letting enemy immortals chat helps move the story along and help in character development.
I think the rule is that they can't actually fight in terms of mutual combat but that bad guy just takes the head without fighting.

I think the rule is that they can't actually fight in terms of mutual combat but that bad guy just takes the head without fighting.
They deleted scenes referencing the Sanctuary as "holy ground" for a reason after fan complaints lol.

It was an error on the part of the Filmmakers.

They deleted scenes referencing the Sanctuary as "holy ground" for a reason after fan complaints lol.

It was an error on the part of the Filmmakers.
They fought on holy ground before in other films. They stop because the ground starts shaking when it got serious.
That part in the 4th movie really messed things up. The sanctuary is supposed to be holy ground or else it makes no sense that they are housed there.

It’s one of those DVDs that I can throw on anytime and be happy with my decision.
e4448fc71470d862254cfc4ded56db15.jpg

“You talk funny, Nash. Where you from?”
That whole scene was priceless lol
"your an antique dealer right nash? ok...what's that?"
*gazes for 3 seconds, looks up
"A sword?"

lol

"you a F&#^#^ Nash?"

"Why Coffey? You cruising for a piece of ass?"

That whole scene was priceless lol
"your an antique dealer right nash? ok...what's that?"
*gazes for 3 seconds, looks up
"A sword?"

lol

"you a F&#^#^ Nash?"

"Why Coffey? You cruising for a piece of ass?"
Ha!

Yea, that sword line always makes me chuckle.

“You’re sick…” POW!

Back