artificial sugars cause insulin resistance and affect gut bacteria [multiple studies]

king hippo

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

Effect of artificial sweeteners on insulin resistance among type-2 diabetes mellitus patients​

Introduction:​

Incidence of diabetes mellitus has increased over the past few years, mainly due to our eating habits and physical inactivity. This also includes the use of artificial sweetening agents which have broadly replaced other forms of sugars and have shown a paradoxical, negative effect on blood glucose. Ingestion of these artificial sweeteners (AS) results in the release of insulin from pancreas which is mistaken for glucose (due to their sweet taste). This increases the levels of insulin in blood eventually leading to decreased receptor activity due to insulin resistance.

Results:​

The HOMAIR values for Group A and B ranged from 0.9–24.33 and 0.12–10.83 with mean values 7.39 and 2.6, respectively, showing that the ones who used AS had a higher insulin resistance. The study also showed that the duration of use of artificial sweeteners had a direct impact on insulin resistance.

Is the Use of Artificial Sweeteners Beneficial for Patients with Diabetes Mellitus? The Advantages and Disadvantages of Artificial Sweeteners​

Abstract​

Artificial sweeteners have been developed as substitutes for sugar. Sucralose, acesulfame K (ACE K), aspartame, and saccharin are artificial sweeteners. Previously, artificial sweeteners were thought to be effective in treating obesity and diabetes. Human meta-analyses have reported that artificial sweeteners have no effect on body weight or glycemic control. However, recent studies have shown that artificial sweeteners affect glucose absorption in the intestinal tract as well as insulin and incretin secretion in humans and animals. Moreover, artificial sweeteners alter the composition of the microbiota and worsen the glycemic control owing to changes in the gut microbiota. The early intake of ACE K was also shown to suppress the taste response to sugar. Furthermore, a large cohort study showed that high artificial sweetener intake was associated with all-cause mortality, cardiovascular risk, coronary artery disease risk, cerebrovascular risk, and cancer risk. The role of artificial sweeteners in the treatment of diabetes and obesity should be reconsidered, and the replacement of sugar with artificial sweeteners in patients will require the long-term tracking of not only intake but also changes in blood glucose and weight as well as future guidance based on gut bacteria data. To utilize the beneficial properties of artificial sweeteners in treatment, further studies are needed.

Long-Term Consumption of Sucralose Induces Hepatic Insulin Resistance through an Extracellular Signal-Regulated Kinase 1/2-Dependent Pathway​

Abstract​

Sugar substitutes have been recommended to be used for weight and glycemic control. However, numerous studies indicate that consumption of artificial sweeteners exerts adverse effects on glycemic homeostasis. Although sucralose is among the most extensively utilized sweeteners in food products, the effects and detailed mechanisms of sucralose on insulin sensitivity remain ambiguous. In this study, we found that bolus administration of sucralose by oral gavage enhanced insulin secretion to decrease plasma glucose levels in mice. In addition, mice were randomly allocated into three groups, chow diet, high-fat diet (HFD), and HFD supplemented with sucralose (HFSUC), to investigate the effects of long-term consumption of sucralose on glucose homeostasis. In contrast to the effects of sucralose with bolus administration, the supplement of sucralose augmented HFD-induced insulin resistance and glucose intolerance, determined by glucose and insulin tolerance tests. In addition, we found that administration of extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK)-1/2 inhibitor reversed the effects of sucralose on glucose intolerance and insulin resistance in mice. Moreover, blockade of taste receptor type 1 member 3 (T1R3) by lactisole or pretreatment of endoplasmic reticulum stress inhibitors diminished sucralose-induced insulin resistance in HepG2 cells. Taken together, sucralose augmented HFD-induced insulin resistance in mice, and interrupted insulin signals through a T1R3-ERK1/2-dependent pathway in the liver.

hmm gotta go natural

according to this, stevia doesn't spike blood sugar

Effects of stevia on glycemic and lipid profile of type 2 diabetic patients: A randomized controlled trial​

Results:​

Findings showed no significant differences in fasting blood sugar (FBS) levels between the base line and after two hours, in participants. Also, no significant differences in insulin, glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1C) and lipid levels were found between the two groups.

Conclusion:​

Results of the current study showed that the highlighted doses of stevia in sweetened tea could be an alternative to sucralose in diabetic patients with no effects on blood glucose, HbA1C, insulin and lipid levels.

this one says stevia might benefit gut bacteria and has anti-inflammatory properties. but it also found that some of the studies showed harmful effects. who the hell knows anymore. but probably best just to stop all artificial sweeteners and consider stevia.

The Effects of Stevia Consumption on Gut Bacteria: Friend or Foe?​

Results indicated that stevia consumption has a potential benefit on the microbiome’s alpha diversity. Alterations in the colonic microenvironment may depend on the amount and frequency of stevia intake, as well as on the simultaneous consumption of other dietary components. The anti-inflammatory properties of stevioside were confirmed in vitro by decreasing TNF-α, IL-1β, IL-6 synthesis and inhibiting of NF-κB transcription factor, and in vivo by inhibiting NF-κB and MAPK in laboratory animals.

5. Conclusions​

Herein, we reviewed fourteen studies. Some of them have shown beneficial or no harmful effects of stevia and its components on gut microbiota, while others indicated harmful effects, potentially, using in vitro and in vivo models (Table 4). We must note that four studies using obesity-induced lab animals examined potential adverse effects of stevia supplementation on the beneficial microbial communities. The authors concluded that this effect was rather due to HFS diets than to stevia. Only four studies showed that stevia is harmful for gut microbiota [29,31,36,38], while one study showed that REB-A and stevioside might interrupt the Gram-negative bacterial communication [36]. In another study, both glycosides impaired the growth of six Lactobacillus reuteri strains in vitro [29].

I still prefer monk fruit, stevia, and allulose over sugar. Anything else I think I rather have sugar over the fake sweeteners

When we try to make it better we don’t. I can’t believe it’s butter clearly is just a marketing angle to sell more vegetable oil.
Again use the real stuff.

Conclusion: stop sweetening everything. Drink plain water and black coffee.

Drinks don't need to be sweat.
You still need glucose.
So you might get it by consuming stuff ( even fat ) and waiting till body will do job.
Or use something.

I had used natural sugar, honey and glucosis...
Attempted to avoid artifical stuff....
For me good stuff to recover after training was : water, vitamine C ( in simplest white powder form without colour stuff added ) plus natural honey ( I mean here in form when you need knife to cut peaces , not processed).
This was one from stuffs that I had used to get faster recovery after serious workload.
Cofeine too, but after workload, because ...if I had used before.... this for me was like : first 2 rounds : had helped . Later this " helped " to exhaust gas tank ...and I do have very good gas tank even when I don't train anything today. ..
I had used coffee but ...powder was better cos for me doesn't likes feeling when you have to drink natural coffee... I might use a bit and no problems, still.

Don't take this post as medical advice, I'm not doctor or dietician. I'm selling construction materials...I just had posted stuff from this niche I had used...

You still need glucose.
So you might get it by consuming stuff ( even fat ) and waiting till body will do job.
Or use something.

We can get all we need from eating raw fruit and metabolizing it from starchy foods.

Beverages are where the lion's share of these sweeteners end up. We don't need every drink to be sweet, people are just monkey brained crackheads who WANT every drink to be sweet.

Reject the sugar and sugar substitute industries, return to plain water.

There is stuff .....when you need to recover after hard training session...you need to get out some metabolytes products out of your body ASAP in order to be ready for next training session = faster is better.
Scheme glucose + water + vit C is one from most innocent methods. ...
Honey I use on regular basis and I'm happy.
I also use meat and eggs...

Ofc when I now don't have serious physical workload I naturally had reduced food consumption ....without thinking about this...some kind like naturally....without intent.

Back