WMMA Discussion #29

Smilla Sundell Stuns Natalia Diachkova to Force Vacant Belt at ONE Fight Night 22​

FacebookTwitterRedditEmail

JAY PETTRY MAY 3, 2024 COMMENTS

The women’s muay thai belt at 125 pounds may not be in anyone’s possession now, but the division’s only champion is on a mission to get it back very soon. One Championship and beltholder Smilla Sundell (36-5, 5-0 ONE) had visions of the 19-year-old from Sweden claiming titles across multiple disciplines, but much changed the day before the event. Sundell missed her weight class by 1.5 pounds and was forced to surrender her throne, and only challenger Natalia Diachkova (30-5, 4-1 ONE) could claim it. While ONE on Prime Video 22 concluded with a vacant 125-pound belt in One’s women’s muay thai division, it all-but promised an immediate rematch as Sundell pulled victory from the jaws of defeat as she dispatched Diachkova right before the second round ended.

Diachkova proved early on that her power would play a factor during the match. The underdog chained clean combinations together, landing flush on the face of the heavier woman repeatedly. As Diachkova continued to tag Sundall, damage began to mount almost immediately. Reddening quickly turned to swelling, and the Russian bullied the younger lady around the ring. Sundell’s left eye grew in size while a small mouse ballooned on her forehead. This momentum continued for the woman known as “Karelian Lynx” as she appeared to be on the path to an upset.

The Team Mehdi Zatout fighter beat Sundell to the punch as the second round progressed, with little sign of her slowing. Out of nowhere, as if a switch had been flipped in the former champion, Sundell unleashed a hellacious left hook to the liver that completely changed the complexion of the evening. Diachkova swung back valiantly, but the delayed reaction of the sudden disabling blow caught up with her as her body contorted in pain. Sundell knew that she had the challenger figuratively and literally on the ropes, and she released a seemingly unending combination of fists to the torso and side of the head until knees were in play. As “The Hurricane” swelled and clobbered Diachkova with knees, the Russian turned and put her body through the ropes to signal physical surrender. Referee Olivier Coste waved the match off at 2:59 of the second frame, punctuating a shocking comeback for the ex-champ.

Commentator Mitch Chilson remarked during Sundell’s post-fight interview that she would have likely received a $50,000 bonus check in addition to the giant belt getting wrapped around her waist, but the weight miss disqualified her from both. Sundell apologized for her mistake and promised that her next fight—almost certainly a rematch with Diachkova with gold on the line—would go differently.

Nice to see Barbosa pick up the win.

I’m cheering for KK, and I think that skill for skill, she’s better than Lucindo. Problem is, fighters age, fighters slow down. They’re using KK to get Lucindo ranked. We’ll see how it goes. War Karolina!

Nice to see Barbosa pick up the win.

I’m cheering for KK, and I think that skill for skill, she’s better than Lucindo. Problem is, fighters age, fighters slow down. They’re using KK to get Lucindo ranked. We’ll see how it goes. War Karolina!
Why would you frame it as "They’re using KK to get Lucindo ranked."?

If you believe KK is more skilled and the fact is KK was on a 4 fight win streak why would she not get a step up in her opponent talent level? I love KK as much as everyone else but she can't go the rest of her career feeding on the rock bottom of the division. After a few wins its natural to give her a step up.

Iasmin Lucindo vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz. The 22 year old Lucindo proved faster and more effective over beloved veteran Karolina. Good footwork and strong punches kept Lucindo in the more dominant positions throughout most of the fight. She earned a unanimous decision and halted Karolina's four fight win streak. Iasmin's convincing victory should earn her a place in the rankings.

Dione Barbosa vs. Ernesta Kareckaite. A satisfactory UFC debut for both fighters. The Brazilian Barbosa mixed everything up well, scoring the decision win. Tall and lanky Lithuanian Kareckaite proved competitive especially in the latter half. Look forward to seeing more from both fighters.

Smilla Sundell vs. Natalya Dyachkova – Muay Thai. This ONE MT fight provided drama during the week with Smilla missing weight and being stripped of the title. The fight itself delivered big time. Dyachova came out guns blazing to dominate the first round. The fiery Russian inflicted damage to the young Swede's eye. In the second round, Sundell came back and scored a big KO via brutal shots to the liver and body that had Natalya falling through the ropes and eventually down and out. The charismatic Smilla said she can make weight to regain the title and mainly requested a new 130 division. Hoping it happens. Smilla is an exciting fighter with a positive future.

it looked like whatever gains KK made evaporated with that first round eye injury. it was not fun to watch :(

thankfully not as depressing as the MHod v. karate hottie fight but it definitely reinforced my desire to see veterans fight other veterans instead of being sent to the glue factory

LUX Strawweight champ Sarah Orozco was supposed to challenge for their flyweight title a couple weeks ago, but that fight fell through. Now I’m curious if this PFL fight is why, or if this is just her taking a fight so as to not have wasted a camp.

Combate’s two best atomweights squaring off is gonna be pretty fun

Friday May 10, 2024

[MUAY THAI/MMA] ONE Friday Fights 62 Bangkok, Thailand
Main Card – YouTube – 8:30am ET / 5:30am PT
MT Nongam Fairtex vs. Tsz Ching Phoebe Lo
MT Chabakaew Sor KanJanchai vs. Looknam Kor Khomkleaw

Saturday May 11

[MMA] KSW 94 Gdańsk/Sopot, Poland
Main Card – iPPV (KSWTV.com) / Fight Net – 1:00pm ET / 10:00am PT
Adrianna Kreft vs. Mafalda Carmona

[MMA] UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs. Nascimento St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Main Card – ESPN / ESPN+ – 7:00pm ET / 4:00pm PT
Preliminary Card – ESPN / ESPN+ – 4:00pm ET / 1:00pm PT
Tabatha Ricci vs. Tecia Torres
JJ Aldrich vs. Veronica Hardy

[BARE KNUCKLE BOXING] BKFC 61: Rivera vs. Straus Uncasville, Connecticut, USA
Main Card – iPPV (TrillerTV) – 9:00pm ET / 6:00pm PT
Sarah Click vs. Natalie Gage
Preliminary Card – YouTube – 8:00pm ET / 5:00pm PT

[MMA] Combate Global: Lara vs. Luna Miami, Florida, USA
Main Card – FUSE / Univision – 11:00pm ET / 8:00pm PT
Alejandra Lara vs. Gisela Luna

more: https://grabakahitman.com/

Friday May 10, 2024

[MUAY THAI/MMA] ONE Friday Fights 62 Bangkok, Thailand
Main Card – YouTube – 8:30am ET / 5:30am PT
MT Nongam Fairtex vs. Tsz Ching Phoebe Lo
MT Chabakaew Sor KanJanchai vs. Looknam Kor Khomkleaw

Nongam and Phoebe Lo can both make 45kg/100lbs. ONE really needs a weight class smaller than 115lbs doing women's muay thai in Asia, but now they may add 135 for Smilla? gahhh

Chabakaew vs Looknam is weird/fun. Looknam finally gets her chance. Traditional 5 round fighter, with a million fights. She won in the the first main event for the Fairtex Fight shows, and went undefeated there so I thought she was getting called up to ONE like two years ago. Fighting seems secondary to school/career to her though...so I'm not sure Looknam has fully suited her style to winning 3 round fast paced fights. Against Chabakaew should be interesting. Chabakaew is a product of training for Muay Hardcore/ONE tiny glove fights, she'll be out there to gas herself throwing hands.

LUX Strawweight champ Sarah Orozco was supposed to challenge for their flyweight title a couple weeks ago, but that fight fell through. Now I’m curious if this PFL fight is why, or if this is just her taking a fight so as to not have wasted a camp.

I believe Fernanda Munoz was injured which is why the fight was off.

Julietta Martinez has signed with LUX.

Tabatha Ricci vs. Tecia Torres. Baby Shark Ricci is fun and unpredictable. Wondering how Torres will look after two years off. She's always had grit. Tiny Tornado by decision.

JJ Aldrich vs. Veronica Hardy. JJ super popular here. Energizer striker. Veronica 2.0 has dramatically improved. Hardy by submission.

- Hardy(s) win with better gameplan over Aldrich. I can see Aldrich resorting to wrestling Hardy in a pinch though.
- Pennington (neé Torres) over baby shark. Ricci is game, but Tecia's striking is rock solid - plus she's married to the champ :)

Normally I'd say Tecia gets an easy decision, but she's coming off a long layoff and fighters who've been out for a while haven't done well when they come back. She's also getting to the age where lighter weight fighters often fall off a cliff overnight, plus she was pregnant so that's a bunch of things going against her. Going with Ricci for this reason.

No idea on JJ vs. Hardy, Veronica is better these days but she doesn't have the athleticism that gives JJ trouble. There's clear ways for both fighters to win.

Normally I'd say Tecia gets an easy decision, but she's coming off a long layoff and fighters who've been out for a while haven't done well when they come back. She's also getting to the age where lighter weight fighters often fall off a cliff overnight, plus she was pregnant so that's a bunch of things going against her. Going with Ricci for this reason.

No idea on JJ vs. Hardy, Veronica is better these days but she doesn't have the athleticism that gives JJ trouble. There's clear ways for both fighters to win.
Well said as always. Two good matchups.

Back