when should a loss raise a fighter’s stock?

Success in this sport has a lot to do with name recognition (among fans, yes) and careers are short. So yes, a valiant losing effort typically contributes significantly to a fighter’s stock, even more so than an unremarkable victory.

Ok, but it doesnt - and should not - mean a single thing to actual rankings which is what matters. Moral victories still equal going down in the rankings if you lose. Or - if youre an unranked guy - you are still not benefiting from losing in any way shape or form beyond that singular moment. It's a moment, but unless you win you're not benefiting from it at all.

Gustafsson and Colby got automatic top 5 status for several years because of their performances in title fights. Colby hasn't done shit since his initial run and is somehow still in the top 5 to this day.

Volk's effort against Islam in the first fight probably did more for his legacy than any win he's had (and he's had some significant ones of course)

No, I didnt - nothing I said in that post insinuated someone needed to go on to be the best ever to do it. The problem here is you can't stand that someone else has a different opinion than you. You want validation not opinions. The question was asked 'when should a loss raise a fighters stock' My opinion is that is 'never should'. It's a singular moment and at the end of the day its a loss. Moral victories do not exist IMO. again - IMO meaning IN MY OPINION. And I gave examples and attempted to explain the reasoning in my opinion. Ya know what I didnt do? Act like a fucking twat on the internet because someone else thinks differently than me in some weird attempt to start an argument or make your opinion more valid than mine - or whatever the fuck it is that your trying to do.
Your opinion is bad and you are a fool, clear as day. You know you are full of shit, but are too stubborn to sway from your original bs

Steve Erceg looked great and Diego Lopes has looked awesome in decision losses. Stocks went up for both without question. They both are showing championship level skill.

Last edited:
It never should. Ever. Putting up a fight or making the bell shouldn't get you credit for anything. Either you win or you lose. Period.

HOW the fight plays out matters way more than W/L. if you're ranked at #27 and you barely lose to the #3, it's fair to say that you deserve to move up. there's not 24 ranks of skill between you and him.

It never should. Ever. Putting up a fight or making the bell shouldn't get you credit for anything. Either you win or you lose. Period.

Jones stock went up after his loss to Matt Hamil, it was pure dominance before the dq.

Volks stock arguably went up after his first fight with Islam.

Your opinion is bad and you are a fool, clear as day. You know you are full of shit, but are too stubborn to sway from your original bs

LOL what? Kid, get the fuck off the internet and go interact with some people in real life.

Jones stock went up after his loss to Matt Hamil, it was pure dominance before the dq.

Volks stock arguably went up after his first fight with Islam.

The jones situation is not the situation being talked about here. Good try thou.

Volks stock 'went up' and then he was knocked out twice. In a row.

HOW the fight plays out matters way more than W/L. if you're ranked at #27 and you barely lose to the #3, it's fair to say that you deserve to move up. there's not 24 ranks of skill between you and him.

In the moment yes, for the fans yes, in terms of mattering as far as rankings or anything official NO IT DOESNT matter. If that guy goes out in his next fight and loses to the no. 25 guy in his next fight what does that mean?

In the moment yes, for the fans yes, in terms of mattering as far as rankings or anything official NO IT DOESNT matter. If that guy goes out in his next fight and loses to the no. 25 guy in his next fight what does that mean?

he just goes up too? lol

he just goes up too? lol

No, I mean the 27th ranked guy you used as an example. So he gives the top 10 guy a good fight. Thats the only context given. So he goes out the next fight and gets stopped by the no. 25 guy. What does that mean then? His stocked was raised in your eyes after a loss. Was it justified? Was there more context, like maybe the it he was a short notice replacement, maybe there was no film, maybe he really had the 'i have nothing to lose mentality' because of the matchup. Alot of things could have contributed to the fight going the way it went. But now he goes out against a guy ranked 2 spots ahead of him and gets creamed. What now?

Last edited:
A lightweight (BJ Penn) going up to fight a heavyweight (Lyota Machida) and almost winning.

Reactions: Ibm
GSP wasn’t considered unbeatable at all in that fight, the odds were close to even and Penn was a former WW champ. He even came to that fight with his belt which he hadn’t lost, after beating Hughes who beat GSP

when a fighter decides to go UP in weight class and TRY at a heavier weight class. too many people don't train and have no idea how much of a difference 10 lbs makes, let alone 15 lbs or 20 lbs. shit gets heavy, fast, and never lets up. any fighter that goes up in weight class to challenge themselves and wins is really fucking hard to do. and should raise the stock of the fighter instantly. Fedor was always the undersized HW, dominating. Aljo deserves more respect for going up in weight class and beating Katar. DC always fighting as an undersized HW. Volk going up and giving Islam hell, the first fight. Poatan going up to LHW. Many many more examples I am forgetting. BJ Penn, obviously.

It has nothing to do with size or age. It all depends one how skilled the fighter is perceived, and if they show more skill than expected in a defeat. Gus vs Jones 1 for example - same size, age, but no one expected Gus to almost beat Jones and was rightfully moved up in rankings afterwards. I don’t understand why you would start taking about age or size when the only thing that matters is the expected skill vs actual skill.

LOL what? Kid, get the fuck off the internet and go interact with some people in real life.
You think calling people kid on a forum makes you sound cool? You are a fucking moron with nothing meaningful to say. All you have is word salad you turd burglar

Back