UFC badly needs Horiguchi back at 125

Never said that Kyogi is a random unproven guy or anything. But I stand by that it's a bad idea to give a title shot to a guy with no UFC wins in over 7 years, it's just not how UFC does things. And there's no recent precedent for it like I said, if you have to bring up Gilbert Melendez from a lifetime ago you've lost the plot.

The division is definitely in a bad spot though since there isn't a real clear contender, especially since there's no desire to see Royval fight for the title again when he lost to Pantoja less than 3 months ago. It feels a little similar to when to both Strickland & Romero got title shots vs Adesanya when the real #1 contender wasn't available in a way. In the same mold of that I'd still say throwing Albazi in there as the "next man up" makes the most sense given that he's still coming off a win in a main event, (barely a 'win' but whatever) that's still the best option they have out of the available top contenders (I think Albazi would be ready by May, not sure the details of his injury) if they want Pantoja to fight on the Brazil card in May. Maybe he wins it, who knows. Most people didn't think Strickland could pull it off vs Izzy and he got it done.

UFC wants the audience to be familiar with the title challengers performing under the bright lights and importantly under their brand. Telling the casual audience to look up ancient UFC fights from 2017 and earlier or educating them on his successes in other promotions is not how they want to do things.
I don't get why you think Horiguchi's fights aren't relevant. He has won belts at 125, 135 and has more and better wins than Albazi and he's probably more well known to casual UFC fans than him as well with a more exciting style.

I very much doubt Albazi is more well known to casuals than Horiguchi is. They also have more highlight material from UFC fights they can use for him compared to Albazi as well.

I don't get why you think Horiguchi's fights aren't relevant. He has won belts at 125, 135 and has more and better wins than Albazi and he's probably more well known to casual UFC fans than him as well with a more exciting style.

UFC hasn't thrown a recently signed fighter (regardless of if it's their first, second or third run with the company) directly into a title fight in over 10 years and I really doubt they would do it with Horiguchi. Closest they've come to that in recent years is when they let Michael Chandler be the backup for Khabib vs Gaethje and even then that was a plan B in case of emergency, not plan A.

They don't like to put a lot of shine on a fighter's achievements in another promotion and they'd have to do it much more than ever before if they were to throw Horiguchi immediately in there with the champion. And like I said they'd have to speak poorly of their own flyweight division to even justify giving him that opportunity.

UFC hasn't thrown a recently signed fighter (regardless of if it's their first, second or third run with the company) directly into a title fight in over 10 years and I really doubt they would do it with Horiguchi. Closest they've come to that in recent years is when they let Michael Chandler be the backup for Khabib vs Gaethje and even then that was a plan B in case of emergency, not plan A.

They don't like to put a lot of shine on a fighter's achievements in another promotion and they'd have to do it much more than ever before if they were to throw Horiguchi immediately in there with the champion. And like I said they'd have to speak poorly of their own flyweight division to even justify giving him that opportunity.
You keep saying this but Horiguchi is more well known, more exciting and has more ranked wins and accolades in MMA than the alternative option. The UFC has given title shots to guys in their first fight in the UFC before and likely will again under the right circumstances and flyweight is low on contenders and the UFC will always give a more exciting fighter that is more popular a title shot over the less popular less entertaining fighter.

If the UFC re-signed Ngannou for example you're saying they wouldn't give him an instant title shot? Just using him as an example to point out how ridiculous your opinion is that the UFC will never give someone a title shot ever again in their first fight back, they will absolutely do it if it makes sense and it would for Horiguchi since he's a multiple weight class and promotion champion and the current UFC champion doesn't have an obvious number 1 contender since he beat the top two guys a combined 5 times.

Last edited:
Agreed I actually made this thread after the event

This is a business at the end of the day. You think it's good business to throw a guy in a title fight who hasn't won a fight in the promotion in nearly a decade & no wins over anyone in the division? That's weak.

Nobody cares how UFC may have done something a few times 2013 and earlier, it's not how they conduct things these days. Nobody is walking into the promotion & getting an instant title shot in 2024. Prochazka, Chandler and possibly MVP are all getting fast tracked paths to the top sure but it will still take a win or two to fight for a title. Horiguchi is a great talent sure but it's definitely a worrying sign how some of you guys want him to go to the absolute top of the division from day 1 and seem afraid for him to take on a single top contender.
What you said makes a lot of sense. I think they can make Pantoja vs Mokaev (if he beats Perez) at UFC 301, while Horiguchi fights Albazi for the next title shot.

You keep saying this but Horiguchi is more well known, more exciting and has more ranked wins and accolades in MMA than the alternative option. The UFC has given title shots to guys in their first fight in the UFC before and likely will again under the right circumstances and flyweight is low on contenders and the UFC will always give a more exciting fighter that is more popular a title shot over the less popular less entertaining fighter.

If the UFC re-signed Ngannou for example you're saying they wouldn't give him an instant title shot? Just using him as an example to point out how ridiculous your opinion is that the UFC will never give someone a title shot ever again in their first fight back, they will absolutely do it if it makes sense and it would for Horiguchi since he's a multiple weight class and promotion champion and the current UFC champion doesn't have an obvious number 1 contender since he beat the top two guys a combined 5 times.

Bro you watch Rizin, think about it. Not an insult, I'm just saying you're clearly in the 1% of MMA fans & a hardcore. I'm thinking of the general MMA audience with everything I've said, you're thinking primarily about the hardcores. Horiguchi can beat one guy & get the title shot 4 months later lol it's not rocket science.

Bro you watch Rizin, think about it. Not an insult, I'm just saying you're clearly in the 1% of MMA fans & a hardcore. I'm thinking of the general MMA audience with everything I've said, you're thinking primarily about the hardcores. Horiguchi can beat one guy & get the title shot 4 months later lol it's not rocket science.
Horiguchi is more well known to casuals than Albazi is regardless of if you watch Rizin or not. You're somehow underestimating and overestimating the casuals simultaneously, they don't know who Albazi is, a decent chunk of them know who Horiguchi is.

Looks like Henry Cejudo is looking at coming back to the division he was best at Flyweight, and if so then Horiguchi would be a great match up to prove himself.

U FIGHT CHEAP doesn't care about talent. They traded Mighty Mouse for Ben Askren because he was "wasn't a draw"

I assume with Moreno losing to Royval and nobody wanting to see Pantoja rematch Royval right now that they will be signing Horiguchi to fight Pantoja at UFC Rio in May.
It's been a while since they signed someone from outside the organization and gave them an immediate title shot but Flyweight is kinda shallow they don't really have a choice. Unless Mokaev wins and looks good this wknd and wants a quick turnaround. They need a brazilian in a title fight for the Rio card. I think Perrira was the original plan but now he's headling 300.
Flyweight isn’t shallow. It’s just things are off right now. Kape vs Nicalau would be a very fitting contenders fight

Who would you give the next title shot to that makes Horiguchi getting an immediate title shot such a bad idea? I've asked that before but haven't gotten a response

Only Mokaev. And only because Kape vs nicalau didn’t resolve

The UFC badly needs stars and big names, period. They're flooded with no names like never before.

The UFC badly needs stars and big names, period. They're flooded with no names like never before.
I know right and finding flyweights with the finishing rate that Horiguchi has is very difficult. Not many guys that size have good KO power and good submission games at the same time.

Back