Television THE RINGS OF POWER (Only 37% of Viewers Finished the Series, post #1917)

If you have watched the entire season one of RINGS OF POWER, how do you feel about it?

• Total voters
Now I have to look to see which episodes of those shows they directed.

Sanaa has not directed any Wheel of Time yet and signed on for season 2 plus ROP.

Louis did ep 10 and 11 for Sandman and 6 and 7 for Witcher. So not bad episodes, but not the best episodes of either show either. I hope one of these two directors understands basic storytelling and writing because the Amazon writers sure don’t.

Last edited:
Wait until people find out that there have been entire seasons of shows directed by men.

when that gets out Sherdoggers going to have to investigate!

Dropped by to see why this steaming shitpile had 100 pages of replies. was briefly hopeful they might have canceled it or fired everybody.

then I caught this gem. LOL

Out of curiosity, did you become a Witcher fan from the games or Netflix series?

Out of curiosity, did you become a Witcher fan from the games or Netflix series?
The games! Started with the first one back in the day when I got out of high school. After assassins of kings I read the books. Eventually got to wild hunt which is my favorite game ever made and I probably have like a thousand + hours into it

So big game & book fan. And CDPRs manga style books are awesome too.

s1 Netflix I enjoyed for the most part, s2 was unwatchable trash for me. I hate that hack showrunner & her team

en_7T88CCmFR0xf.png

Is this actually good? The reviews are so mixed. It looks a tad hacky.

Is this actually good? The reviews are so mixed. It looks a tad hacky.

I think only LOTR needs will be stubborn and like it but to the casual viewer like myself it is meh. Give it a try and tell me I'm wrong

This show seems like a (somehow) cheap knock off of GOT. Only a few episodes in and I'm just kinda like, "Okay, so what?".

Lotta mediocre actors, lotta plot conveniences, lotta ho-hum nonsense. The, what's supposed to be background, music is too much and seemingly all the damn time. Background music running 90% of the show is unnecessary, much less the incidental tones trying to guide the viewer to understand what's good or bad. Let the scene play out, the actors act, etc.

I like the dwarves though and there's lots of great scenery,

After finishing the first season, I was like meh. I then wondered to myself what idiot thought it was a good idea to run this against House of the Dragon which is leaps and bounds better?

Update: April 5, 2023

Report: Only 37% of Viewers Finished Watching the First Season of THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RINGS OF POWER

4VvpYfK.png

It’s long been an open secret that Jeff Bezos has yearned for his own Game of Thrones, and that Amazon’s big swing as it reached for its own massive hit was The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, believed to be the most expensive series ever made.

Last September, the show began with a bang, delivering the biggest debut ever on the streamer in what Amazan Studios chief Jennifer Salke called “a very culturally defining moment” for the company. But when season one wrapped, the show was less defining than hoped, falling short of being the breakout hit that Amazon had envisioned.

While Amazon, like other streamers, provides only limited data — and internally, it held information even more closely than usual on the series — sources confirm that The Rings of Power had a 37 percent domestic completion rate (customers who watched the entire series). Overseas, it reached 45 percent. (A 50 percent completion rate would be a solid but not spectacular result, according to insiders). The show has not been a major awards contender, either, overlooked by the major guilds with the exception of one SAG-AFTRA nomination for stunt ensemble.

But according to Salke, the series has worked. “This desire to paint the show as anything less than a success — it’s not reflective of any conversation I’m having internally,” she says. The second season, currently in production, will have more dramatic story turns, she adds. “That’s a huge opportunity for us. The first season required a lot of setting up.”

Data from Nielsen on minutes watched reveals that when it comes to original shows generally, Amazon has lagged. In 2022, Netflix hoovered up the top 10 spots for original streaming series, with Amazon’s The Boys in 11th place — ahead of The Rings of Power at No. 15. Using the same measurement, none of the top 15 originals of 2021 came from Amazon. (Netflix again took all the slots except for Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale in 10th place, Apple’s Ted Lasso at 12, and Disney+’s WandaVision in the 14th spot.)

Many current and former Amazon executives, as well as showrunners who have series at the streamer and agents who make deals there, believe that this is no accident. They describe Amazon Studios as a confusing and frustrating place to do business. When it comes to movies, where Amazon’s footprint is expanding following the $8.5 billion acquisition of MGM a year ago, a veteran producer says that, in recent years, “there has been no sense of what the philosophy is.”

On the series side, numerous sources say they cannot discern what kind of material Salke and head of television Vernon Sanders want to make. A showrunner with ample experience at the studio says, “There’s no vision for what an Amazon Prime show is. You can’t say, ‘They stand for this kind of storytelling.’ It’s completely random what they make and how they make it.” Another showrunner with multiple series at Amazon finds it baffling that the streamer hasn’t had more success: Amazon has “more money than God,” this person says. “If they wanted to produce unbelievable television, they certainly have the resources to do it.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...on-studios-jen-salke-vision-shows-1235364913/

Back