Such BS that Mighty Mouse was pushed to the side and basically traded

The difference is that these guys are probably willing to work without the PPV points. I think Figgy might have got PPV points for one fight because he showed up short notice. Mighty Mouse wanted PPV points and the promotion wouldn't budge for him. MM wasn't a big seller either.

I believe the champs now all get some PPV points but they need to reach a certain amount of buys. Some of them can't do it by themselves because of the popularity game. The flyweight champs need to piggyback off other popular fighters by being the co-main.
You might be right here. It’s a shame, the flyweight is full of versatile athletes, with real skills and people just keep disrespecting the division. At the same time fools want to see overweight, unathletic guys with limited skills, knock each other out and think it’s high level sports.

I still don't think he lost to Cejudo. At worst thst fight was a draw. MM was un stoppable at flyweight but Dana didn't like him. He loses a razor thin decision on his 2nd fight with Cejudo n no rematch he gets cut for most boring fighter in mma history Askren.

DJ wasn’t willing to move up to try to generate interest.
Dana being slimy and protecting a known PED cheating Dillishaw because the GOAT MM wanted to earn more than the paltry 10 or 15K being paid as champion is the sad reality.

Dana being slimy and protecting a known PED cheating Dillishaw because the GOAT MM wanted to earn more than the paltry 10 or 15K being paid as champion is the sad reality.
The sad reality is that he isn’t worth more based upon the viewers he brings in

They got rid of him cause he wasn't selling and they were on the verge of just completely trashing the whole division.

Remember a bunch of other flyweights got released at around the same time and Cejudo practically saved the division by kicking TJ's ass.

Look at how many people here complain about flyweight fights still and look at how nobody watches ONE events. DJ, no matter how good he is, isn't very popular and got let go because the division was one fight away from being discontinued.

Still don't understand why the UFC got rid of arguably the best Flyweight ever, basically acting like 125 will go up in flames only to later promote it like it should have been from the beginning. Fast forward to now with Flyweights headlining a PPV.

Obviously, he's an older version, but how would MM fair against the top of the current FW's in the UFC?
He wasn't a draw and also he asked to be traded. He would have gotten his rematch if he wanted it.

Business wise it proved to be a great deal for the UFC. They got 3 big fights with Askren and a PPV star in Masvidal. They also got a more popular fighter in Cejudo and the Figgy/Moreno rivalry brought interest to the division that wasn't there previously.

I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder because DJ never got this kind of love when he was in the UFC.

They got rid of him cause he wasn't selling and they were on the verge of just completely trashing the whole division.

Remember a bunch of other flyweights got released at around the same time and Cejudo practically saved the division by kicking TJ's ass.

Look at how many people here complain about flyweight fights still and look at how nobody watches ONE events. DJ, no matter how good he is, isn't very popular and got let go because the division was one fight away from being discontinued.

This, did people forget Cejudo saved the division by knocking out TJ? Moreno was cut and only brought back because Cejudo convinced the UFC flyweight was worthwhile.

He would probably still be champion, he's really that good. One of the GOATs.

Mighty Mouse left the ufc on his own terms, went to his manager's mma promotion, and made plenty of easy money and success. I don't think there's any issue for all parties.

As far as Mighty Mouse staying in the ufc, he could have rematched cejudo, yes, but i don't think he wanted the challenge. After that, the ufc could even keep him away from main events, put him on bad cards, etc. He had a clearly better option available and i'm not surprised he took it. If he really cared about his 'legacy' then he wouldn't have ducked dillashaw and left an incomplete trilogy behind.

It was BS, but honestly it was good for MMA fans. It got more eyes on ONE and their elite strikers and pretty good MMA fighters. And it gave the UFC FlW division a chance to put some bangers on for the title and build some names.

Would have been cool if DJ could have had a fight against Moreno, Figgy or Pantoja after being in ONE, either by coming back or with a ONE-UFC crossover.

They should have kept him around if they weren’t going to close down the division. That being said, they should definitely close down the division. Flyweight is a joke of a division at this point

Demetrious wanted to leave... the first thing he did after the Cejudo loss was ask his manager how to get out of his contract.

Mighty Mouse, Dana, the UFC, and the casual fanbase back then never really clicked, it is sad because MM is one of the most talented and accomplished fighters we've ever seen, but back then the casual fanbase just didn't care about the weightclass and it felt like the UFC wasn't pushing MM (they shouldn't be obligated to but they weren't) and MM does not have the most sellable personality, despite his supremely fun to watch fighting style.

It was just unfortunate how it all played out.

Shame dj didnt get the champ treatment of getting your belt back in a close fight like gsp and jon did when they should of lost

am sure that they are some middling fighters that we could trade with ONE to see my boy, Rodtang in the UFC, Colby is the one that comes to mind the most.

Why the heck would you want Rodtang in he UFC?

Dude can't wrestle. Best they could do is try and find some absolute bum MMA fighters that also have no wrestling skills for him to easily finish. All the decent fighters would just take him down.

It's way better watching Rodtang in ONE against guys who actually know how to strike at an elite level. We wouldn't get any of that if he came to the UFC. Who he gonna fight in the UFC? Kara? Kape? He'd butcher those bums on the feet. Same with all the BWs.

Still don't understand why the UFC got rid of arguably the best Flyweight ever, basically acting like 125 will go up in flames only to later promote it like it should have been from the beginning. Fast forward to now with Flyweights headlining a PPV.

Obviously, he's an older version, but how would MM fair against the top of the current FW's in the UFC?

His head coach was running ONE Championship.

He got the deal he wanted.

But yeah, on the UFCs part, dismantling the division was dumb.

DJ would beat them all in his prime, still think he stands a chance against the top competition still in the ufc.

but yeah, braindead move by dana to ditch him for askren regardless of how spicy askren was at that time. i don't think trading is the worst concept ever though, i am sure that they are some middling fighters that we could trade with ONE to see my boy, Rodtang in the UFC, Colby is the one that comes to mind the most.
To this day, Askren's flying knee KO clip makes the UFC more money then DJ ever did.

fixed.

You don't have to agree, but you are a fool if you don't have him in a very prominent position within that discussion.
He’s certainly in the conversation.

Back