Social Put friend on plane, died 12 hours later

I kind of just remembered out of nowhere that I had introduced him to SD years ago, and that he had an account on here. I found his profile and was just reading through his post history, when I stumbled across this thread from him. I figured this was the appropriate place to provide this update instead of creating a new thread.

Thank you for your condolences. It's been a couple of years, but I still struggle a lot with it. It sucks so fucking bad to see an oncoming train collision from 400 miles out and still being unable to change the outcome.

We might disagree on everything else, but the one thing we can agree on is that addiction is a motherfucker.

We might disagree on everything else, but the one thing we can agree on is that addiction is a motherfucker.
Yeah it sucks pretty bad. It's unfortunate this country doesn't make programs and resources available to those who want to quit. Seems like a common sense investment to prevent some % of people from ending up on the streets and to prevent the loss of valuable human resources. In this instance, this country has lost the lifetime economic productivity of a lawyer, and likely an author as well.

Some rich kids get to make a few dozen trips to rehab/treatment before they get finally get clean. For others, you get addicted once and it's game over. No treatment for you. Every man for himself. 😔

I've lost a sibling to suicide and my advice would be to stop holding your family's mistakes against them. They are only human and you need to love and support each other or the pattern will continue. I got my sister into rehab and she still killed herself. Some people are just too fucked up. Stop trying to find someone or something to blame and just accept that sad shit happens in life. Just my advice.

I've lost a sibling to suicide and my advice would be to stop holding your family's mistakes against them. They are only human and you need to love and support each other or the pattern will continue.
You are telling me to do something that they themselves will not do. They do not love and support their family, so why would I return that in kind? What you're suggesting is a one-way street to pain and an unequal relationship.
I got my sister into rehab and she still killed herself. Some people are just too fucked up. Stop trying to find someone or something to blame and just accept that sad shit happens in life. Just my advice.
Addiction problems don't just fall out of the sky. This wasn't a random act of God. My brother's addiction problems came from severe trauma inflicted on him by his family (our mother and father) - and then that same family turned around and refused to help him resolve his issues. They have beyond earned my hatred and scorn. You don't forget and forgive betrayal on the deepest level like that. Or you set yourself up for it to happen again.

I will do my best to establish familial bonds with people that do care, who will be there for love and support. With people who earn my trust and love through their actions - not simply because I was born into their gene pool.

If there's one thing I've learned from having a lifelong addict sister, it's that some people can't be saved. Not by others anyway.
They can if they are locked up involuntarily.
you can't save people that don't want to be saved
You can, but it has to be involuntary.
the only way you're ever going to help and addict is when they are 100 percent ready to get help. Otherwise, you're talking to a wall if you try.
Give them help involuntarily.
Can't save some folks - we found one of our friends dead in a hotel room. Heroin OD. Dude fought that shit for years but jus kept slippin.
There's no heroin in a mental hospital/rehab facility (although there might be in prison).
If the guy wanted to drink wine, he was going to drink wine. At least he had somewhere to crash and he wasn't out drinking on the streets.
There's no wine in a mental hospital/rehab facility (although there might be hooch in prison).
In the short-term sense that you're asking about, there's probably nothing that would have made a real difference.
Getting him locked up in a mental hospital/rehab facility would have made a real difference.
there is no helping an addict until they are ready to do so.
There is if you do it involuntarily.
You can't make someone quit drinking or drugs. They either get there on their own or they don't.
You can if you lock them in a mental hospital/rehab facility involuntarily.

/

I'm very sorry for everyone's losses in this thread. And it seems like the friends and some of the relatives tried their best to get the people who died help. We're not all bigwigs who can command the police/health service etc. to arrest, detain and treat these people with issues against their will, and it doesn't seem like the public will is there to do so. It would be very expensive, and giving people involuntary treatment is unpopular. Look at #FreeBritney (and how she's doing now). Unfortunately mentally ill / drug addicted people in many cases can't be cured, so to prevent them going off the rails would need some degree of supervision their whole lives. Nevertheless, I don't know why people keep saying variations of the above quotes. This kind of thing makes me feel like one of those children in whatever Bodysnatchers-premise film it is, where the class have to draw a picture, and they all hold up their pictures, and all the bodysnatched kids hold up identical, weird pictures, and the one or two human kids look around and are like, oh shit.

Edit: The scene:

Last edited:
Back