Prime Overeem vs Prime Perreira

This is a fight I would have loved to see.

At HW with both weighing within 10 pounds of each other.

Who wins?
Love Reem but he didn't have the chin to withstand nukes like Pereira's hooks.
Prime Reem or otherwise.

I love when elite strikers learn how to GnP and boy did Reem learn it well.

For those that didn't watch ur vid here's it timestamped for nasty GnP, turn ur volume up

One of the most brutal ones in recent memory.
Broke Reem's losing streak too

Overeem could probably take him and down and beat him up but he is also excellent at getting knocked out.

I do miss the days of Overeem. So many highs and lows in his career. His fights were fun and unpredictable and his longevity was crazy.

The Uber version?
He would beat Alex in mma and kickboxing.

Size matters

High altitude affected both factors. At this point, it's starting to sound more like cope than objective analysis so I'll bow out of this.

Yeah, but he didn't have to deal with the altitude against Izzy. It makes for a skewed comparison. and just because it affects them both doesn't mean it affects them in the same way. Jan was expending much more energy with all the big explosive TD attempts than Pereira's movements for defending. Though to his credit he did hold on to that guillotine attempt at the beginning for quite a while, but it's hard to say how much energy he really put into that. The one working the hardest is gonna feel the difference in oxygen the most and the earliest.

It's not cope, it's just stating that you're jumping to a conclusion based on a rash comparison between two very different fights.

Last edited:
If you can find an example (thread on here or an article) where he was referred to that in the early-mid 2000s, I'll be impressed. I never heard the term until he went to Jackson's many years later.
Did some digging and you're correct sir. Brain playing tricks on me. I swore I referred to him as Econoreem in his LHW form once he became Ubereem, but wasn't till about 2014/2015 you start to see the phrase, and it isn't referencing his LHW stint in Pride, but the shift from Ubereem.

Can't win em all ;)

yeah particularly his guillotine

altho I can't help cringe and think how close he was to winning the HW strap.. maybe if he just would've tried to TKO Stipe instead... oh well who knows
I remember screaming "punch him in the face" really loud in a small bar that was hosting the fight (and rather ironically, no one but me and my gf was watching the fight). I think he might have been 2-3 uppercuts away. maybe a hammerfist to the to the top of the head. I think the same for the Browne fight. If that was stopped, few would have complained at the time.

Remember also that Reem could use the much larger gloves in K-1 (along with his massive juiced arms) to protect himself. MMA is different with smaller gloves and fighters who weren't even great technical strikers (Browne, Bigfoot, Rothwell) KO'd him.
indeed

it looks even worse in MMA

but I think Poatan beats him in kickboxing, even when he was uber too

Reactions: mkt
Vitor was in a career slump (4-6 record) when he lost to Overeem. This was during the time when his sister was kidnapped and he later found out she was murdered. I don't think he was any stronger than Poatan, and he was outgrappled by many guys in his earlier days (WW sized Sakuraba, Tito, Couture multiple times even after Randy turned 40, etc.)

Vitor had two really strong periods in his career--the first 3 to 4 years then his later resurgance as TRT Belfort....until his TRT was taken away. He was a very inconsistent fighter outside of these periods. Also, his "BJJ black belt" credentials from Rickson (given when he was like 18) was and still is highly questioned. It's likely they gave him a belt so 1990s fighters would avoid the ground and be forced to stand, which was his strongest area.

His bjj black belt was only questioned by rickson himself. He never got his black belt from rickson he got it from Carlson.

Vitor has been training jiiijtsu since he was 13. He’s not a mundial winner but the guy was solid on the ground and more than competent.

He almost broke Jon jones arm off his back.

His bjj black belt was only questioned by rickson himself. He never got his black belt from rickson he got it from Carlson.

Vitor has been training jiiijtsu since he was 13. He’s not a mundial winner but the guy was solid on the ground and more than competent.

He almost broke Jon jones arm off his back.
Like I said earlier, the Jones fight was 15 years after Vitor started his career. Vitor's only submission win in his first 4 years was against Joe Charles. Joe was supposed to be a judo guy, but lost 6 of his first 8 fights by submission.

I'm not doubting that Vitor trained some BJJ before he debuted in 1996 around the age of 18 or 19, but he clearly spent most of his time boxing, lifting and juicing. He never spent enough time on the ground in the early years to prove he had elite BJJ. And plenty of fans questioned his black belt. It wasn't just Rickson.

Like I said earlier, the Jones fight was 15 years after Vitor started his career. Vitor's only submission win in his first 4 years was against Joe Charles. Joe was supposed to be a judo guy, but lost 6 of his first 8 fights by submission.

I'm not doubting that Vitor trained some BJJ before he debuted in 1996 around the age of 18 or 19, but he clearly spent most of his time boxing, lifting and juicing. He never spent enough time on the ground in the early years to prove he had elite BJJ. And plenty of fans questioned his black belt. It wasn't just Rickson.

Vitor had great boxing, but he was training with the Carlson team that eventually split and became BTT.

He also won the blue belt mundials at 16 which winning in Brazil was hard as fuck.

Getting your black belt and being elite at bjjj are two different things.

He trained everyday from 13 in jiujitsu and became a black belt at 19,.. there’s no discussion here. Was he elite? No. Was he a sufficent black belt yes.

He also got bronze in the adcc in 2001. When he was 24? Your argument is wrong because of the facts.

Back