News Orangutan Repeatedly Uses Medicine To Heal Itself?

They are accurate for what they're trying to measure but I'm not sure that it can tell you if the person can use their intelligence in a meaningful way. It's like, well so you're a 150 IQ person but can you actually build, design, create, or produce anything? Can you advance anything that results in anything of these things? I have seen some high IQ people that don't really seem like they're doing things in life the would make sense with that level of intelligence. An example I have is my father-in-law. He was just a simple tradesman and electrician. Didn't go to school past high school. But this guy could design and build anything. He could fix just about anything. He was 70 years old and figured out how to repair computers without any help or training. Now, I have no idea what he'd score on an IQ test but people that can just look at, tinker with things and then fully understand how they work have to be pretty intelligent. Maybe not educated, but intelligent.

So, I'm not sure how much IQ means in real world intelligence but I think it's probably a decent indicator. Then there's always people that figure out how to take tests, you can always study and train to solve the sort of puzzles and questions they have on the test which would inflate your score. They don't really put the exact problems out there for you to study but there are a lot of ones you can take online that have questions on a similar line.
I personally think they are bullshit. Psychology is a +half speculation science.

Then there's always people that figure out how to take tests, you can always study and train to solve the sort of puzzles and questions they have on the test which would inflate your score. They don't really put the exact problems out there for you to study but there are a lot of ones you can take online that have questions on a similar line.
Yeah I've taken the Weschler IQ test and now that I know what to expect, I'm sure I could score higher. Like I don't recall the exact puzzles, but I recall the type, and I could go practice those like crazy and then retake the test certainly do better.

But there's no point. Having a higher IQ score won't make me any more money. And it won't even feel good because I'll know that I kinda gamed the system.

My cats try to eat any green leafy plants around the house. The cats probably think it is catnip
That is rough, I have always been lucky the cats I have had do not eat house plants. They will tear up some catnip though. I guy the little plastic bins of the live catnip and let them enjoy that. They do not get as baked as the dry stuff but it gets them happy.

Many animals self medicate. When dogs have a stomach problem, they eat grass and vomit.
This is slightly more advanced than that, but yes there are multiple instances of animals doing other things. Birds ingesting toxic food items and then eating clay to neutralize it.

I looked in my pants and can confirm.
seeded_banana_miamifruit_order_online_1024x.jpg

I wonder if he likes to get high 🤔
Is it true that elephants, monkeys, dolphins and other animals seek out recreational highs in nature? Jason G Goldman investigates.

In South Africa, local legend has it that the elephants like to get drunk. They seek out the marula tree, overindulge on its sweet fruits, and enjoy the intoxicating effects of the slightly fermented juice.

Tales of the tipsy pachyderms go back at least two centuries. In the 1830s, a French naturalist called Adulphe Delegorgue described stories from his Zulu guides of mysteriously aggressive behaviour in male elephants after they fed on the marula fruits. "The elephant has in common with man a predilection for a gentle warming of the brain induced by fruit which has been fermented by the action of the sun," wrote Delegorgue.

Elephants aren't the only critters accused of indulging in the occasional cocktail or dose of drugs. Tales are told of wallabies getting high on poppy plants in Australia or dogs reportedly becoming addicted to the toxic substance secreted by cane toads. And stories abound of vervet monkeys on the Carribean island of St. Kitts, sneakily imbibing the brightly coloured cocktails of distracted tourists.

But how much of this is the result of projecting our own fascination with mind-altering substances onto other animals? Decades of laboratory research has shown that we can easily induce addictive behaviour in animals by making addictive substances easily available to them. But do wild animals really get drunk or high?

Vervet monkeys are one species that researchers hoped could help answer this question. Sometimes called green monkeys, they are native to Africa, but a handful of isolated groups wound up scattered across islands in the Caribbean. In the 18th and 19th Centuries, slavers often took the monkeys as pets, and when their ships landed in the new world, the monkeys easily escaped or were intentionally released. There, free of most of their predators, the small primates adapted quite well to tropical island life. For 300 years, the animals lived in an environment dominated by sugar cane plantations. And when the sugar cane was burned, or occasionally fermented before harvest, it became a treat for the monkeys. As they became accustomed to the ethanol in the fermented cane juice, the monkeys may have developed both a taste and tolerance for alcohol. Local stories are told of catching wild monkeys by supplying them with a mixture of rum and molasses in hollowed out coconut shells. The drunk primates could then be captured without hassle.

Descendants of those introduced monkeys have since been studied so that we can understand more about their boozy behavior. One study found that nearly one in five monkeys preferred a cocktail of alcohol mixed with sugar water over a sip of sugar water alone.

Intriguingly, younger individuals were more likely to drink than older individuals, and most of the drinking was done by teenagers of both sexes. The researchers, led by Jorge Juarez of Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, suspect that older monkeys shun alcohol because of the stresses of monkey politics. "It is [possible] that adults drink less because they have to be more alert and perceptive of the social dynamics of the group." In other words, at some point the monkeys leave their days of heavy drinking and hangovers behind and start acting like adults.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20140528-do-animals-take-drugs

- Monkey can also use elaborated tools created by themselves.

Is it true that elephants, monkeys, dolphins and other animals seek out recreational highs in nature? Jason G Goldman investigates.

In South Africa, local legend has it that the elephants like to get drunk. They seek out the marula tree, overindulge on its sweet fruits, and enjoy the intoxicating effects of the slightly fermented juice.

Tales of the tipsy pachyderms go back at least two centuries. In the 1830s, a French naturalist called Adulphe Delegorgue described stories from his Zulu guides of mysteriously aggressive behaviour in male elephants after they fed on the marula fruits. "The elephant has in common with man a predilection for a gentle warming of the brain induced by fruit which has been fermented by the action of the sun," wrote Delegorgue.

Elephants aren't the only critters accused of indulging in the occasional cocktail or dose of drugs. Tales are told of wallabies getting high on poppy plants in Australia or dogs reportedly becoming addicted to the toxic substance secreted by cane toads. And stories abound of vervet monkeys on the Carribean island of St. Kitts, sneakily imbibing the brightly coloured cocktails of distracted tourists.

But how much of this is the result of projecting our own fascination with mind-altering substances onto other animals? Decades of laboratory research has shown that we can easily induce addictive behaviour in animals by making addictive substances easily available to them. But do wild animals really get drunk or high?

Vervet monkeys are one species that researchers hoped could help answer this question. Sometimes called green monkeys, they are native to Africa, but a handful of isolated groups wound up scattered across islands in the Caribbean. In the 18th and 19th Centuries, slavers often took the monkeys as pets, and when their ships landed in the new world, the monkeys easily escaped or were intentionally released. There, free of most of their predators, the small primates adapted quite well to tropical island life. For 300 years, the animals lived in an environment dominated by sugar cane plantations. And when the sugar cane was burned, or occasionally fermented before harvest, it became a treat for the monkeys. As they became accustomed to the ethanol in the fermented cane juice, the monkeys may have developed both a taste and tolerance for alcohol. Local stories are told of catching wild monkeys by supplying them with a mixture of rum and molasses in hollowed out coconut shells. The drunk primates could then be captured without hassle.

Descendants of those introduced monkeys have since been studied so that we can understand more about their boozy behavior. One study found that nearly one in five monkeys preferred a cocktail of alcohol mixed with sugar water over a sip of sugar water alone.

Intriguingly, younger individuals were more likely to drink than older individuals, and most of the drinking was done by teenagers of both sexes. The researchers, led by Jorge Juarez of Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, suspect that older monkeys shun alcohol because of the stresses of monkey politics. "It is [possible] that adults drink less because they have to be more alert and perceptive of the social dynamics of the group." In other words, at some point the monkeys leave their days of heavy drinking and hangovers behind and start acting like adults.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20140528-do-animals-take-drugs

- Monkey can also use elaborated tools created by themselves.
I'm going to get high with my cats tonight because we are one and the same in this Earth

Show him how to roll a blunt next

Back