Xbox Official Xbox Series X thread

I think Phil even said during an interview that he loves this studio and knows there next game will be amazing. Guess he meant their next game with someone else not MS.
Pretty obvious to me Phil doesn't actually run the show..

Looks like the Perfect Dark Project isn't going well either according to Jeff Grubb

"The fallout from this (today's layoffs), been hearing more and more.. been hearing for years that Perfect Dark is in a rough state, sounds like it's in a very rough state"

"And it doesn't sound like it's really come together in any way since then (since the announcement) and like Crystal Dynamics coming on board to come help on that.."

Regarding first person shooter aspect:

"It sounds like they don't even know if that's what they want to do with that"

Also the Assistant Editor of VG247 supposedly has some stories from it too

Looks like the Perfect Dark Project isn't going well either according to Jeff Grubb

Also the Assistant Editor of VG247 supposedly has some stories from it too

I wonder what the issue is exactly- specifically the boulder up a steep hill part. Wasn't this announced 6 years ago?

Maybe it's like Duke Nukem Forever where they kept aiming and planning to be the best at everything instead of focusing on making an actual game that is fun to play?

I wonder what the issue is exactly- specifically the boulder up a steep hill part. Wasn't this announced 6 years ago?

Maybe it's like Duke Nukem Forever where they kept aiming and planning to be the best at everything instead of focusing on making an actual game that is fun to play?

I really would like to know what's going on over there. Apparently there is a video of Phil playing the game with all the other devs around him. Someone checked and almost every single person in that video is now gone.

Pretty obvious to me Phil doesn't actually run the show..
Wow, looks like I may have been on point with this observation.

Just read an article where it makes the case that the Xbox brand may have gotten too big for its own good, so now it has significantly more oversight and can otherwise be considered "Microsoft gaming"

In the 2021 Xbox documentary Power On, Sarah Bond said the leadership team asked themselves how to learn from and not repeat the mistake of acquiring a studio (in this case, original Fable developer Lionhead) only to later shut them down. And one year ago, in the wake of Redfall’s disastrous launch, Xbox boss Phil Spencer said, “One thing I won’t do is push against [the] creative aspirations of our teams. When a team like Rare wants to do Sea of Thieves, when a team like Obsidian wants to do Grounded, when Tango [Gameworks] wants to do Hi-Fi [Rush] when everyone thought they were probably doing The Evil Within 3…I want to give the teams the creative platform to go and push their ability, to push their aspirations.”

At best, those once-reassuring quotes ring hollow today. At worst, they’re outright lies.

Key takeaways
  • In the Xbox 360 days, the division employed a few hundred people, that number is now closer to 30,000
  • Big investments = more oversight
  • Gamepass is costing revenue (see next article)
  • Cuts are being made to help recoup some of the ABK merger (following article)

Hori fighting stick on sale at W00t.

OIP.8bw0sY_ZGRtdA4XLClmYFQHaE8

$74.99

Prince Of Persia : The lost crown

OIP.qBaG6uI-vmr8uLG-A6JZjwHaEK

Metroidvania actioner that's gotten good reviews.

$24.99

Persona 3:Reload Collector's Edition

OIP.lFTMch81X4etc1B1hYhamgHaEK

$99.99

More below

The people in charge of finding solutions for the problems within XBox are the problems.

Wow, looks like I may have been on point with this observation.

Just read an article where it makes the case that the Xbox brand may have gotten too big for its own good, so now it has significantly more oversight and can otherwise be considered "Microsoft gaming"

Key takeaways
  • In the Xbox 360 days, the division employed a few hundred people, that number is now closer to 30,000
  • Big investments = more oversight
  • Gamepass is costing revenue (see next article)
  • Cuts are being made to help recoup some of the ABK merger (following article)

The dude who wrote that article fanboys for Xbox on Twitter. He’s not really a good person to choose for this article. Personally I’m sick of the Phil apologists. He constantly lies and him going all in on an unsustainable sub service is why there are in this mess

The people in charge of finding solutions for the problems within XBox are the problems.

Game Pass users have flattened. Game studios Microsoft acquired didnt expand Game Pass user growth and werent financial hits within gaming. With Microsofts recent acquisition of Activision/Blizzard they are stuck like Facebook(Meta) with antitrust looming. Inability to purchase their way into market dominance where all future growth must now be done internally.

Executives preferred pronouns have no merit in this conversation. All it does is amplify your need to inject politics into any topic.

Game Pass users have flattened. Game studios Microsoft acquired didnt expand Game Pass user growth and werent financial hits within gaming. With Microsofts recent acquisition of Activision/Blizzard they are stuck like Facebook(Meta) with antitrust looming. Inability to purchase their way into market dominance where all future growth must now be done internally.

Executives preferred pronouns have no merit in this conversation. All it does is amplify your need to inject politics into any topic.
There’s a lot of horrible comments about her being a DEI hire and needing to be replaced by someone more competent. Fucking just sick of the culture war bullshit in every discussion. I know it wasn’t said here but seen that comment quite a bit on X.

You intellect is self-admitted when you claim that ideology has no merit in credibility.

If the first thing she mentioned in her own introduction was her status as an anti-feminist born-again Christian, there's no doubt you and your ilk would have objections.

So save the 'preferred pronouns have no merit in this conversation' only because you approve of them, and everyone declaring their pronouns as if they have any significance.

You intellect is self-admitted when you claim that ideology has no merit in credibility.

This is just another pivot by Microsoft. Acquisition stage was tried and is now over. Intent is to become the premiere subscription and online distribution service. First public facing change was to trim game development cost. Next stage is opening up the mobile gaming space to Pc and Xbox in hopes of stimulating user growth.

This is just another pivot by Microsoft. Acquisition stage was tried and is now over. Intent is to become the premiere subscription and online distribution service. First public facing change was to trim game development cost. Next stage is opening up the mobile gaming space to Pc and Xbox in hopes of stimulating user growth.
100%

If you want to criticize Sarah Bond on some of her messaging regarding studio closures, like in the link I provided here, have at it.

"The last year or so in videogames," says Bond, "largely the industry's been flat … [we saw some] tremendously groundbreaking games, but the growth didn't follow all that."

She's not wrong, here, when she notes that both the cost of AAA blockbuster games and their development time is "going up"—still, Bond argues, Xbox feels a "deep responsibility to ensure that the games we make … are there through moments even when the industry isn't growing, and when you're going through a time of transition."

To write her off entirely based on a 7 second clip where she claims she is a female and prefers the use of female pronouns is just bizarre. The fact she said that says nothing about her ideology, for all we know she has a family member that makes the use of pronouns a major issue. I run the supply chain for a company that supplies some rather large companies and have run into many people that have he/him/his or she/her/hers in their e-mail signatures. It's actually quite common.

If you all really want to discuss whether or not the use of pronouns is a sign of a lack of intelligence or anything else in that realm of discussion, let's move it to the war room.

Next stage is opening up the mobile gaming space to Pc and Xbox in hopes of stimulating user growth.

Yeah, because PC gamers and XBox gamers don't already have phones, and would love to play mobile games on their PCs & Xboxs.

Brilliant idea.

XBox is gonna come back from behind to win this console generation with that alone.

Smartest idea by anyone to ever introduce themselves with their preferred pronouns.

The dude who wrote that article fanboys for Xbox on Twitter. He’s not really a good person to choose for this article. Personally I’m sick of the Phil apologists. He constantly lies and him going all in on an unsustainable sub service is why there are in this mess
Regardless of who wrote the article the actions taken recently by MS are very similar to the actions a corporation would take to cut costs after making significant investments. If I came off as an apologist for Phil that was not my intention at all- my theory was simply that even though he may run the gaming division, he's not necessarily a king and ultimately he has to carry out the agenda of the parent company- the parent company being one of the largest publicly traded companies in the world that has oversight from a board and by its shareholders. Even the CEO at Microsoft has people he has to answer to.

The articles I shared as a follow up confirmed my suspicions and gave some insight as to how the Xbox division has gotten so big over the years. Xbox may have initially been treated as an experiment and budgeted accordingly, but they are not in that ballpark anymore. When a company puts a small team together to explore a business opportunity or do research, they are given a budget, a project leader and are expected to report back with their learnings over a period of time. The information I shared details the impact of mergers and a workforce of nearly 30,000 employees.

Back