NHL 23: Broken Sternums and Broken Dreams

Lots of teams would take his contract, but they either couldn't give the Leafs something equitable in the trade, or the wouldn't want to play there.

Utah could use a guy like him to market around, but there is almost zero chance he would accept a trade there. I read that he likes the Toronto spotlight.

Maybe he would ok a trade to Anaheim or Chicago. I doubt Toronto would want to keep him in the East. I saw on another site someone said the Isle for Dobson, but I would laugh that off if I were the Islanders.

The Leafs fucked themselves by giving everyone and their sister a no trade clause.
Marner to Flames?

Marner to Flames?
Would work money wise and I think the Flames have quite a few pieces that Toronto could use, including a goalie. Add in Tree having ties to the Flames and you've got something. However, would Marner want to go there? I'm not sure the lights are quite bright enough for him there.

Would work money wise and I think the Flames have quite a few pieces that Toronto could use, including a goalie. Add in Tree having ties to the Flames and you've got something. However, would Marner want to go there? I'm not sure the lights are quite bright enough for him there.
That leaves us with Habs, Rangers, Chicago and Boston if he cares about spotlight that much.
But was thinking that if he leaves he wants to stay in Canada. Oilers have no room for him and need to fix defense. Senators or Jets maybe. Seattle while not in Canada close to the border. But the core 4 have a NMC so good luck trading them if they decide to trade anyone.

Carter George having himself a game in this IIHF GMG

So Rangers-Hurricanes, who we got?
Thinking Rangers in OT

5-3 Canada LFG

So Rangers-Hurricanes, who we got?
Thinking Rangers in OT
I like the Rangers, but I think it will be in regulation and probably by a couple. 4-2 or 3-1.

I do think the series goes 7 though.

I like the Rangers, but I think it will be in regulation and probably by a couple. 4-2 or 3-1.

I do think the series goes 7 though.
Yeah probably going with home wins in this series.

Also Dallas in OT.

Oilers have the opportunity for a pretty good revenge tour.

Vancouver - for the regular season
Vegas - for 2023 and stopping the streak, Avalanche - for 2022 or Dallas - for son'ing them so much during the Modano days.
Carolina - for 2006

Last edited:
The Leafs looked like an 8th seed trying to upset a president trophy team.

They were shoveling pucks out of their zone, with zero intention. Just to relieve pressure.

It reminded me of 100 point Wings teams vs. Edmonton or Calgary. And they got us a couple times. I'm not hating on the strat, but.. Toronto is not that team, and they have all that money in their stars, and none of them could get a offensive cycle when the game got real.

Knives, Bertuzzi and Nylander were the only guys who were able to be catalysts for some sort of offensive pressure in game 7. That's unacceptable.

Sheldon has to go, and they need D and probably a goalie. Same story

The Leafs looked like an 8th seed trying to upset a president trophy team.

They were shoveling pucks out of their zone, with zero intention. Just to relieve pressure.

It reminded me of 100 point Wings teams vs. Edmonton or Calgary. And they got us a couple times. I'm not hating on the strat, but.. Toronto is not that team, and they have all that money in their stars, and none of them could get a offensive cycle when the game got real.

Knives, Bertuzzi and Nylander were the only guys who were able to be catalysts for some sort of offensive pressure in game 7. That's unacceptable.

Sheldon has to go, and they need D and probably a goalie. Same story

Yeah. Like I said... they remind me of the English national football team. They should win a lot, but they don't for whatever reason. Teams like Edmonton have a better excuse because until recently good players would straight up refuse to play there. Or they would have to overpay them to. Or they would get, for example, Peca and he would immediately leave, or Pronger, and his wife would demand that he leave.

Nothing has changed in 14 years. Longer than that actually. Best bar from the 2010 Olympic welcome song:

Last edited:
Question is who would take his contract?
Couple guys who play in same position and roughly same age. Rantanen paid 2m less, Pasta paid 300k more, Kucherov paid 1.5m less (3 years older), Tkachuk 1.5m less.
Even if Marner was paid same amount as those guys, would have any of them over Marner.

That's a very good question. I don't know to be honest. Marner doesn't seem built for the playoffs too small, too soft. It will be hard to entice any team to get him. That's if the deal is too good to be true kind of thing.

Yeah. Like I said... they remind me of the English national football team. They should win a lot, but they don't for whatever reason. Teams like Edmonton have a better excuse because until recently people would straight up refuse to play there. Or they had to overpay them to. Or they would get, for example, Peca and he would immediately leave, or Pronger, and his wife would demand that he leave.

Nothing has changed in 14 years. Longer than that actually. Best bar from the 2010 Olympic welcome song:

Oh man, I forgot about this song.

Thanks, good memories.

Back