News New UFC Gloves

They're supposedly the ones used in the contender series which.. i rarely if ever saw eyepokes if i remember.

Was there a time they also used the old gloves on the contenders show? Because uhm.. it might just be that people aren't going to eye poke if they are yet to get into the UFC. Eye poking is not the best way of making your first impression I'd imagine, when Dana is watching and judging.

They said the finger cut outs make it easier to close your fist up. According to their testing, they saw a reduction in eye pokes, but they can’t be too positive u til they really start using them.
From ONE event.

Vs 6 prior.

Completely statistically meaningless.

I don't see how that fixes eyepokes tbh.

The issue was never that fighters needed the gloves to be easier to close into a fist. The whole effectiveness of the Pride gloves came from the resistance when trying to open the hand up. The gloves in their relaxed state forced your hand into making a fist (or atleast close to that).

Guess we'll have to wait and see. Either way I'm glad they are at least trying. Eyepokes are nasty and ruin fights as much as careers.

Seems like a whole lot of nonsense to avoid using 2 slam dunk options

PrideFC glove design
Trevor Whitman glove design

Both address eye poke problem.
Ufc is like what problem?
Problem is not on our script.

From ONE event.

Vs 6 prior.

Completely statistically meaningless.
The testing was from a season of contender series, which they said was 10 weeks, so 10 events?

its-the-same-thing-kbrown.gif

Exactly. Some media members asked about that, but they basically just said “we can’t get rid of eye poles completely, but we hope this really limits them”
I hope so.
Seems like a whole lot of nonsense to avoid using 2 slam dunk options

PrideFC glove design
Trevor Whitman glove design

Both address eye poke problem.
Ufc is like what problem?
Problem is not on our script.
Seems like classic UFC. "Nah, we'll do it the way we want to even though it won't change shit."

Can’t come out with a glove that prevents eye pokes until bones is officially retired.

The testing was from a season of contender series, which they said was 10 weeks, so 10 events?
I heard it as comparing 6 events with the old gloves vs one with new gloves.

I could be wrong.
According to my wife that can happen.

Doesn't seem to do anything about outstretched fingers
It's almost like that's actually a fighter problem, not a design problem.

They're leather gloves, not steel gauntlets. We all know they're capable of making fists and are choosing not to.

I hope so.

Seems like classic UFC. "Nah, we'll do it the way we want to even though it won't change shit."
Exactly.

"Hey so what about eye pokes?"

"Look at the new colors!!"

"Yeah whatever but what about guys getting skull fucked every saturday?"

"Did we mention all these pre approved bullet points? Let's talk about that!".

Last edited:

New gloves are coming out for the UFC. They went with a company based out of WA who started by developing football gear, and not Whitman.

Here’s what they’re all about:
-New way it straps around the wrist to prevent hooking
-New padding inside
-New finger cuts that allow fighters to close their fists easier
-They say they’re “lighter”, I’m not sure how that works. Maybe they’re still 4 oz, but mostly just the padding?
-New sizing protocols for women and men for a better fit.
-Gold color for championship fights. Not sure if only the champ gets to wear them, or both fighters.
-Different gloves for different fights. Ex. DWCS gloves are blue, TUF gloves have “TUF” on them
-Sides of the hand are now lightly padded to cover the bone

Edit: Forgot to mention that they tested these gloves in Contender Series fights without public knowledge. The testing was for the whole season and changes were made based off the feedback fighters gave.

https://www.youtube.com/live/cX40fC-dm0s?si=SjQublF5-OUad1FM

4oz gloves have 4oz of padding, they don't weigh 4oz. Most of my 4oz gloves weigh about 6-7 ounces. For reference, my 16oz sparring gloves weigh about 32-34 ounces depending on the brand.

Since they've been using these on the Contender series for 10 weeks, it'd be interesting to know how many eye pokes there have been. It doesn't seem like the goal of the new gloves was really to address eye pokes so much as it was just to come up with new gloves since it's been a decade.

I do like the gold gloves for champs. Anything to make them feel a bit more special is a good thing.

Who will have the honor to be the first fightet to poke someone's eyes out with deez badboys?!
They are gonna to premier them at Newark if I'm not mistake them so Weidman might do the honor.

Gloves won't do shit about eyepokes because you need be able to open your hands and extend your fingers to grapple and wrestle, and extended fingers while standing = eye pokes

The change must come from the referees and a zero tolerance/automatic points deduction rule (accidental or not), and an automatic DQ if it keeps happening in a fight.

When serial eyepokers will start losing fights because of deducted points or DQ for repeated eyepokes, they'll stop putting their fingers in the other guy's face

Refs are so tolerant these days with eyepokers (Weidman is the last example that comes to mind) that I'm surprised we don't also have guys trying to gain an advantage by being serial nutshotters

Last edited:
Back