If you are Jon Jones would you fight Stipe or Aspinall for your legacy retirement fight?

If you are Jon Jones would you fight Stipe or Aspinall for your legacy retirement fight?

• Total voters
Winning against Stipe would be worse for his legacy and straight up retiring today would be.

Well.. Tom is younger, hungry and the tougher match up. He's also going to be around for a lot longer. Where as with Stipe he's older and pretty much on his way out the door. So it's a match up that isn't going to be there much longer. If I were Jon and had Stipe on my bucket list, I'd go with Stipe while the opportunity is there. Then fight Tom later if he doesn't lose in the mean time.

Stipe is the smarter fight for Jones if it is his last fight. Who wants to fight a younger more skilled opponent and jeopardize his record?
As the Champ, this bullshit shouldn’t even be an option. You fight the toughest matchup as the Champ, especially if there is an Interim Champ out there.
If you’re really the GOAT, you don’t duck challenges.

As the Champ, this bullshit shouldn’t even be an option. You fight the toughest matchup as the Champ, especially if there is an Interim Champ out there.
The thing is it makes perfect sense that Jones won't fight Tom. You can't always keep fighting the best new guys forever. But you shouldn't be champion then. You should be stripped. Go have your "fun" fight without the title being involved.

Stipe, DC, Gane and Glover is a nice resume; just by itself.
Stipe- hasn’t fought in 3 years, hasn’t won in 4, coming off brutal KO loss.

DC- Jones was on Banned Substances.

Gane- No ground game and best win was against the ghost of JDS.

Glover- he was practically a senior citizen when they fought.

It’s a nice resume; if you’re a casual and go only by names.

The thing is it makes perfect sense that Jones won't fight Tom. You can't always keep fighting the best new guys forever. But you shouldn't be champion then. You should be stripped. Go have your "fun" fight without the title being involved.
Thats my point. You shouldn’t the Undisputed Champ if you refuse to fight the current Interim Champ and instead, want to cherry-pick a name that hasn’t fought in 3 years and is coming off of a devastating KO.

Legacy = name, Stipe is mentioned among HW GOAT's, Aspinal is not there, yet, would a win over him age well? Sure, but as far as legacy fights go, its Stipe.

Legacy = name, Stipe is mentioned among HW GOAT's, Aspinal is not there, yet, would a win over him age well? Sure, but as far as legacy fights go, its Stipe.
Stipe is 42, hasn’t fought in 3 years, hasn’t won in 4, and is coming off of a KO loss.
The only thing this does for his legacy is boost it with casual fans out of context.
Everyone else will remember how he ducked Ngannou to cherry pick Gane and ducked Tom to fight a senior citizen.

IF I was Jones, I’d be a lowlife cheating coward with zero honour. Therefore I’d duck the shit out of Aspinall.

If he were me, he’d fight Aspinall. Because I’m diametrically opposed to everything Jones represents.

1716054346721.gif

I'm taking Stipe, I ain't looking to get hurt on the way out of the cage.

Name value it's Stipe no doubt. Relevance wise it's Tom no doubt.

Not just toughest matchup in a vacuum, if something is a new matchup it should get a few bonus points when considering a matchup. GSP and Silva's careers are great examples of this. Barely any rematches.

Stipe is 42, hasn’t fought in 3 years, hasn’t won in 4, and is coming off of a KO loss.
The only thing this does for his legacy is boost it with casual fans out of context.
Everyone else will remember how he ducked Ngannou to cherry pick Gane and ducked Tom to fight a senior citizen.
Thats basically what legacy fight means, not the context around the fight, "everyone else" is not a lot of people tho, casuals are the majority.

Back