Ian Machado Garry wants to prove he's "the best striker that this division has ever seen" and calls

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
Ian Machado Garry wants to prove he's "the best striker that this division has ever seen" and calls out Stephen 'Wonderboy' Thompson after defeating Neil Magny at #UFC292
1f440.svg

Was not impressed with his performance tonight. Couldn't finish a dude on one leg from the first minute of the fight.

Garry should fight Geoff Neal next, his original opponent. Neal knocks him the fuck out.

Id rather see him fight Geoff Neal. Pretty much everyone else ranked above him is either a wrestler or a training partner.

Wonderboy still got some chops in the striking tho, beat the absolute dog shit out of Holland recently

It's not like with each fight a 40 year old is improving though, and I feel like Holland had his moments and hurt Wonderboy at one point. Even Geoff Neal had moments vs Thompson. Dude Thompson had been competing since 1999 in Kickboxing, I want to say 2005 he fought Mauris Briedis in the WO World championships, Briedis went on to be a truly great Cruizerweight boxing champion. Thompsons prime is a LONG while ago and he's slowed down a lot. For sure, he is still a sound and formidable striker but I don't think beating him at this point proves much and it just seems kind of weak. Call out Shavkat, call out Jack Della. You beat Magny, whoopdy doo.

It's not like with each fight a 40 year old is improving though, and I feel like Holland had his moments and hurt Wonderboy at one point. Even Geoff Neal had moments vs Thompson. Dude Thompson had been competing since 1999 in Kickboxing, I want to say 2005 he fought Mauris Briedis in the WO World championships, Briedis went on to be a truly great Cruizerweight boxing champion. Thompsons prime is a LONG while ago and he's slowed down a lot. For sure, he is still a sound and formidable striker but I don't think beating him at this point proves much and it just seems kind of weak. Call out Shavkat, call out Jack Della. You beat Magny, whoopdy doo.

It proves he has very good striking if he can beat Wonderboy in a striking affair. Yes even at this stage.

Holland had one moment in the fight where he rocked Wonderboy early on. Other than that he was demolished in every sense of the word.

It proves he has very good striking if he can beat Wonderboy in a striking affair. Yes even at this stage.

Holland had one moment in the fight where he rocked Wonderboy early on. Other than that he was demolished in every sense of the word.

Sure, but I'd take guys like Shavkat and Leon to outstrike Thompson at this point. Thompsons never been great vs other long strikers either.

Sure, but I'd take guys like Shavkat and Leon to outstrike Thompson at this point. Thompsons never been great vs other long strikers either.

Am I the only one after Shavkhats latest fight that see enormous problems with his striking? His head is right in the middle straight up and eating shots all willy nilly

Am I the only one after Shavkhats latest fight that see enormous problems with his striking? His head is right in the middle straight up and eating shots all willy nilly

No, we all saw that. It doesn't change he was only 28 and it was the first time he ever tasted adversity in his UFC career. Shavkat is taller and longer than Thompson, on the outside he won't simply get tooled and on the inside he's still one of the best clinch strikers in the UFC and has surprisingly good punches in the pocket for a dude his size. I think the length, size, multi dimensional striking and youth makes him able to find Thompson effectively on the feet, as Thompson has aged and slowed down a bit. Thompson will be getting worse with each fight, Shavkat can still improve.

Definitely makes him look weak, as if he knows how bad he'd look against guys like Burns, Brady, Luque etc.

But hey, I guess it's the smart thing to do where he's at.

I still want the fight he was supposed to have. That would have been a banger but geoff has a history off being a pull out merchant. That's at least the third time that I can recall in recent memory.

This dude does not have it mentally. Zero killer instinct. He had a guy with literally 1 functioning leg and was still so scared to commit to his strikes and was feinting for no reason missing most of his strikes. He clearly has the striking skills to go very far but just missing that striking IQ that's needed to be champ. Don't see IT

Back