How would Prime Fedor do against the current UFC HW division?

How would Prime Fedor do against the current UFC HW division?

• Total voters
Fringe Top 10 at best

Loses to Gane, Blaydes, Stipe, Aspinall, Sergei, Bones...struggles badly with volkov, black beast, and tai...probly gets worked by jailton too

Stop watching mma if you disagree

How would 40 year old Hendo do?

"Stop watching mma if you disagree" with my totally subjective opinion. If you think prime Fedor struggles with Tai I would suggest you should watch more mma, you're not well educated on it yet

His style was a bit old school where BJJ was used to beat wrestling so guys like Blaydes and Jones might win some decisions just being big wrestlers who wouldn't get stuck in a arm bar easily.

But if you allow Fedor to have modern day training and give him wrestling defence like his student Vadim Nemkov I think Fedor would be the best HW in the world.

He’s was basically the most complete HW in MMA bar none, that being said it’s impossible to accurately matchup different era’s objectively due to emotional factors… MMA is so unpredictable as Strickland just reminded us.
<WhitmanDefeat>

Fedor fought with instinct and insane skill but never a gameplan.
To beat someone like Jones you need a gameplan.

Now if Jones would retire it would be a different story.

I would argue though that a "gameplan" can often be a weakness, fighters who train to fight a match a certain way and then have no plan B if that doesnt work compared to someone who adapts to a fight as it happens.

That said I think Fedor did clearly have gameplans in some fights, the 3rd Nog match most obviously.

The big issue for Jones against Fedor would IMHO be that he has the ability to land with extreme power from range and that he has truely dangerous submissions, I don't think Jones has ever really faced either of those, Rumble would probably have been the closest standing but he obviously had a massive weakness to offencive grappling.

d74duna-17045f37-9a24-49cf-ae66-b1a473a8c61a.gif

Fedor from PRIDE would not be too comfortable in a cage.

If Fedor was training for the UFC rules under a modern camp, who knows?

The only top 5 heavyweight I'd definitively say Fedor would beat is Gane who is too one dimensional. But let's be real, prime Fedor would be a top contender today, especially with how shallow the division still is. I mean, Stipe's still ranked and he hasn't fought in two years!

His style was a bit old school where BJJ was used to beat wrestling so guys like Blaydes and Jones might win some decisions just being big wrestlers who wouldn't get stuck in a arm bar easily.

But if you allow Fedor to have modern day training and give him wrestling defence like his student Vadim Nemkov I think Fedor would be the best HW in the world.

So basically if Fedor was a different person??

You don't "give" someone wrestling defense.

Jones is the only one i'd clearly favour over him. Blaydes, Aspinall and Pavlovich could potentially give him some tough fights.

I doubt he'd do well. Think part of the reason he turned into a brawler in the states is because he was facing much bigger guys who he couldn't fling around like he did in Pride (not to mention there were certain things being used by just about everyone in Pride FC that increased performance....). He'd have a puncher's chance for sure, the guy definitely had one punch KO power.

Back