How would combat sambo look like if it was less tilted towards grappling?

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
KOs are prevalent in combat sambo and obviously win the match, but the ruleset remains geared towards grappling. Strikes get awarded no points. Throws, sweeps and takedowns do, the possibility of pinning by pin and submission is an enormous determinant of the approach in a combat sambo match. In other words, striking is more often than not designed to allow clinch/grip entry or takedown. It also explains the brutality of sambo striking where if you don't hurt the apanyent, striking even has negative value. Now that this point is made, my question is, could combat sambo look different if striking was allowed points?

I could imagine that we would see a lot more jabbing and straight punches, elbows and headbutts, as "negative grappling / stiff arming" may become a valid technique to essentially win on points using short strikes from clinching distance.

What do you think? Is the presence of the jacket too much of a disadvantage for a striking-gearded sambo approach, regardless of the point system?

KOs are prevalent in combat sambo and obviously win the match, but the ruleset remains geared towards grappling. Strikes get awarded no points. Throws, sweeps and takedowns do, the possibility of pinning by pin and submission is an enormous determinant of the approach in a combat sambo match. In other words, striking is more often than not designed to allow clinch/grip entry or takedown. It also explains the brutality of sambo striking where if you don't hurt the apanyent, striking even has negative value. Now that this point is made, my question is, could combat sambo look different if striking was allowed points?

I could imagine that we would see a lot more jabbing and straight punches, elbows and headbutts, as "negative grappling / stiff arming" may become a valid technique to essentially win on points using short strikes from clinching distance.

What do you think? Is the presence of the jacket too much of a disadvantage for a striking-gearded sambo approach, regardless of the point system?
Yes. However combat sambo for sport isn't that brutal at all. Google up for phrase combat sambo for service applications by using keywords in russian...you will see real brutality...

So, if talking about service applications to use combat arts for service purposes there usually are 2 kind of tasks: to disable opponent ASAP at any cost and 2 nd variant....they need to get object collected in usable for talk with investigator ....so he should not be switched off.
Therefore grappling is preferable, also better is to use 2 or more guys vs object, distract his attention with something likely not unusual and immobilize object .....

I had a bit used this stuff, while in mix with other arts ( u don't use to think name of art or style u use....you use everything in order to do task asap ).

For example you might get given guy who will attempt to do headkick ....and told that better is not to hit his head...and guy is attempting to kick you in the head with service type boot and surface is daTech street or even stairs etc...
Do or.... and better if guy will be able to talk after this... faster= better.

Yes. However combat sambo for sport isn't that brutal at all. Google up for phrase combat sambo for service applications by using keywords in russian...you will see real brutality...
Well sambists have a tendency of using the casting hooks like Igor Vovshanshin or Fedor. They typically put everything in these hooks. When they land they fuck up apanyents.

So, if talking about service applications to use combat arts for service purposes there usually are 2 kind of tasks: to disable opponent ASAP at any cost and 2 nd variant....they need to get object collected in usable for talk with investigator ....so he should not be switched off.
Therefore grappling is preferable, also better is to use 2 or more guys vs object, distract his attention with something likely not unusual and immobilize object .....

I had a bit used this stuff, while in mix with other arts ( u don't use to think name of art or style u use....you use everything in order to do task asap ).

For example you might get given guy who will attempt to do headkick ....and told that better is not to hit his head...and guy is attempting to kick you in the head with service type boot and surface is daTech street or even stairs etc...
Do or.... and better if guy will be able to talk after this... faster= better.
Yeah well I am not talking about any of that. I am talking about competitive combat sambo in a hypothetical rule change scenario. Try to stick to topic.

Yeah well I am not talking about any of that. I am talking about competitive combat sambo in a hypothetical rule change scenario. Try to stick to topic.
Yup but this is exactly about topic. Sambo initially had been created for SD/ h2h and first letters SAMBO means self def without weapons.
Sport versions are rule sets applied by sport organisations and therefore there is stuff called sport sambo and combat sambo.

Well sambists have a tendency of using the casting hooks like Igor Vovshanshin or Fedor. They typically put everything in these hooks. When they land they fuck up apanyents.
WTF is 'apanyent'? Is your Google translate malfunctioning or something?

As you mention, the gi really tends toward grappling more unless they both want to trade. Otherwise we would see more flashy kickboxing in sambo.

WTF is 'apanyent'? Is your Google translate malfunctioning or something?

As you mention, the gi really tends toward grappling more unless they both want to trade. Otherwise we would see more flashy kickboxing in sambo.

I love the concept of WCG but I don’t know why it doesn’t catch on

If striking will get more scores even without getting opponent down....this will be more dynamic. While core of sambo is to get control on opponent ASAP and then doesn't matter are you using grappling or striking. While for service applications preferable is to distract attention and use not one but at least 2 guys in order to establish control and keep object in condition that he is able to answer questions.....sooner better....

Fedor also had paid to boxers to spar with him etc.

Back