Erceg and damage over Pantoja and stall time

there needs to be a bigger emphasis on making sure a fighter is doing something of value once a takedown has been completed, a takedown on its own is just that, a change where the fight takes place, it should not be scored on its own as there are plenty of fighters who even would prefer that change so they are not in a disadvantage if they were taken down. You need to actually do something once you take someone down, attempt or perform a close submission, chain multiple submission attempts, throw ground and pound strikes, elbows, hammer fists, simply falling on top in a scramble should not award you a round or the fight because you were holding on for dear life to prevent your opponent from getting up and further beating your ass on the feet...you did nothing on the ground but look scared and did even worse on the feet standing, in no way is that "winning the fight", just call it for what it is, stalling, and folks we know the god damn difference between stalling and scoring via grappling, you all have seen dominant grappling performances and the shit we saw last night from Pantoja simply was not it.

I dont care about either one of these guys, neither is a favorite fighter of mine, i have no emotional attachment to either one of these fighters, im just calling it how i see it, one guy was fighting and scoring, the other was stalling, and the guy stalling got rewarded round wins because he fell over and held on for dear life, its 2024 folks, time to adjust from the ancient age of scoring 1 round via 1 takedown, there is more to MMA than that.

Both rounds 2 and 3 were toss ups.

Erceg was getting the better of the stand up but in both rounds Pantoja landed multiple takedowns.

Erceg had what every title challenger should dream of, an even fight going into the 5th round and an opportunity to win the belt if he can just win the round.. and he didn't get it done.

Pantoja was active on the ground wtf are some of yall talking about?

The only reason Erceg got to his feet a few times is because Pantoja was actively passing guard and baiting Erceg into giving up his back or full mount. If Pantoja sat in half guard he would’ve skunked Erceg on the score cards, even his own corner told him he was getting over aggressive chasing the finish.

We’re not going to rewrite the rules and undervalue grappling because some of you bots don’t understand the dominance of position.

Fight was clearly 3-2 Pantoja, arguably 4-1.

<DisgustingHHH>

As opposed to what? laying on someone without even attempting any subs?

I mean yeah? If you elbow someone and then they wrestle you to the ground for 5 minutes and punches you on the ground everyone will think you lost that fight in real life....

It wasn't even lay and pray, so it's a weird take. That isn't Pantoja's game...people here really do have a terrible time understanding grappling.

I thought Erceg just about won it but it was very close and close fights are usually given to the champion.

The elbow that *GASP* CUT HIM!!!!!! Like elbows do no less. Nevermind the fact that Pantoja ate it without issue and never so much as buckled a leg. People act as if Steve was dropping him all night and he lay and prayed to survive. I saw an over-sized dude for the division sort of use his range properly against a smaller psychopath that was quite literally running into his opponents punches.
Tbh Pantoja did wtf he wanted in those 1st three rounds, Erceg only hit that elbow and couldn't control shit even with that size advantage.

But getting beat up on the feat and panick wrestling and literally just burying your busted up noggin in your opponents body while you lay on them will, apparently.
That's round 4.

Pantoja out struck that guy all night, even if he was fighting recklessly trying to get gtfo.

he won every exchange on the feet, 1 big elbow was the best thing that happened in that round and it was more than 1 elbow, he landed another later on that caused another cut above the eye...glad you were watching the fight
He was getting hit in the jaw all night by a midget rushing his ass with his head down and getting schooled on the ground.

I had Pantoja at the end of the brawl

The only way those elbows were gonna do anything is if they had caused a doctah stahpage
A La’ Kenflo esque

<goldie>

Tough feeling bad for a fighter that made so mental mistakes. Pants is far from an elite champion and can't believe he beat Moreno. Cejudo or MM would embarrass him.

Back