Law Arizona House votes to repeal 1864 law banning abortions

Sweater of AV

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
On April 9, the Arizona Supreme Court declared the state must follow the 1864 law banning all abortions except to save a pregnant woman’s life. Three Republicans had enough common sense to vote in favor of repealing.

Heads to the senate now.

April 24 (Reuters) - Lawmakers in Arizona's House of Representatives on Wednesday voted to repeal an 1864 ban on abortion that could still go into effect within weeks if not also knocked down by the Senate. House lawmakers voted 32-28 to repeal the law, which provides no exceptions for abortions even in cases of rape or incest. Three Republicans crossed party lines to join all 29 Democrats in voting for the repeal. The Arizona Senate, where Republicans hold a slim 16-14 majority, could vote on the measure as early as May 1.

"I'm thrilled the House has finally decided to do the right thing and repeal the archaic 1864 near-total abortion ban," Governor Katie Hobbs, a Democrat, wrote on social media. Hobbs has said she will sign a repeal of the ban if it passes the House and the Senate. "The decision to get an abortion, or seek any type of reproductive healthcare, belongs in the hands of patients, their families and their providers, not politicians," Democratic Representative Oscar De Los Santos told reporters before Wednesday's session began.

Imagine if we devoted the same energy to homelessness or poverty as we do the right to abort babies.
This country has lost its way.
Well, allowing people decide if they want to have an abortion or not costs a lot less money and is far less complicated than solving poverty or homelessness. So not really sure what you’re trying to say here

Well, allowing people decide if they want to have an abortion or not costs a lot less money and is far less complicated than solving poverty or homelessness. So not really sure what you’re trying to say here
Not sure where in my post I mentioned money. I'm not one that believes throwing money at the homeless issue is the key anyway.

What I'm saying is that I'd like to see people fight as hard for other issues as they do for abortion.

Imagine if we devoted the same energy to homelessness or poverty as we do the right to abort babies.
This country has lost its way.

I didn't know Sherdog had a soft spot for the homeless. Well, one directly deals with the constitution, one doesn't.

Imagine if we devoted the same energy to homelessness or poverty as we do to guns.

Not sure where in my post I mentioned money. I'm not one that believes throwing money at the homeless issue is the key anyway.

What I'm saying is that I'd like to see people fight as hard for other issues as they do for abortion.
One side is fighting as hard as it can to make sure that there is no help for low income people that would include homeless people. Cant solve a problem that requires money to be spent by cutting that aid. FYI the side that wants to ensure there is no aid for the poor also wants to ensure that abortions are as hard as possible to get.

Arizona Republicans running from a mess of their own making. They're still getting shredded at the ballot box in November, even with all those "patriot" d*ckheads trying to intimidate voters.

Perhaps because one of these problems is trivial to solve and requires virtually no effort. Remove the fundamentalist nutjob sub 100 IQ morons from our government and give women the basic rights to their bodies that every modern nation on earth does. Problem solved.

One side is fighting as hard as it can to make sure that there is no help for low income people that would include homeless people. Cant solve a problem that requires money to be spent by cutting that aid. FYI the side that wants to ensure there is no aid for the poor also wants to ensure that abortions are as hard as possible to get.
Personal responsibility, what even is that?!

{<huh}

Arizona Republicans running from a mess of their own making. They're still getting shredded at the ballot box in November, even with all those "patriot" d*ckheads trying to intimidate voters.

Maybe.

It's certainly a state teetering on the brink. The last three election cycles have seen it swing Dem in a POTUS election while the governor's office and both US Senate seats also flipped blue. US Congressional representation is 6-3 in the GOP's favor, and it still has control over the state legislature -- but only by a single seat in both chambers.

Maybe.

It's certainly a state teetering on the brink. The last three election cycles have seen it swing Dem in a POTUS election while the governor's office and both US Senate seats also flipped blue. US Congressional representation is 6-3 in the GOP's favor, and it still has control over the state legislature -- but only by a single seat in both chambers.

The ballot measure is going to increase turnout, which is always bad for State GOP's

Good... What a dumb law to be on the books.

Yep. This is what getting rid of Roe v Wade did to people unfortunate enough to be living in states with large Republican majorities in the state government.

Now the same politicians that fought for this are trying to backpedal as fast as they can because it's not politically convenient.

Well... that's one wat to keep minority numbers down.

what-did-i-say-something-wrong-don-pauly.gif

Back