How the Humiliation of Iowa Style Explains why People Liked Kung Fu Movies

To expand my above post, Sanda is a Kung Fu style🤣
Well Sanda is a super legit style which I would gladly train if it was available. I disagree that sanda is kung fu though. 0.1% of all kung fu dorks train for sanda and the rest would not survive 1 round in a proper sanda match.

Well Sanda is a super legit style which I would gladly train if it was available. I disagree that sanda is kung fu though. 0.1% of all kung fu dorks train for sanda and the rest would not survive 1 round in a proper sanda match.
Sanda is registered under Wushu license in China😁

So is boxing and muay thai, btw...

Sanda is registered under Wushu license in China😁

So is boxing and muay thai, btw...
Does boxing in China involve Kung Fu training and techniques like Sanda does? That would be cool of it does.

Muay Thai of course is partly derivative of Southern Chinese arts as one would expect based on geography.

Does boxing in China involve Kung Fu training and techniques like Sanda does? That would be cool of it does.

Muay Thai of course is partly derivative of Southern Chinese arts as one would expect based on geography.

No. It's just boxing. In China.

China considers the term "gongfu" to mean any skill acquired over time through training.

They would look at a soviet era wrestling camp and call that gongfu (they might have called it barbarian gongfu but that's another story for another time).

It does not mean it has anything to do with what you would personally consider to be "kung fu training methods".

You're not even using the correct Pinyin spelling for writing the term in Roman letters.

"Kung Fu" is the British influenced Wade Giles spelling for the Romanization of the phrase.

Modern China uses Pinyin method of Romanizing Chinese into text, which is the method they agreed on instead of the spelling some dead British assholes decided on.

No. It's just boxing. In China.

China considers the term "gongfu" to mean any skill acquired over time through training.

They would look at a soviet era wrestling camp and call that gongfu (they might have called it barbarian gongfu but that's another story for another time).

It does not mean it has anything to do with what you would personally consider to be "kung fu training methods".

You're not even using the correct Pinyin spelling for writing the term in Roman letters.

"Kung Fu" is the British influenced Wade Giles spelling for the Romanization of the phrase.

Modern China uses Pinyin method of Romanizing Chinese into text, which is the method they agreed on instead of the spelling some dead British assholes decided on.
You are replying to a guy who thinks wing chun is validated by boxing. Now he's going to go in every wrestling thread and talk about his shitty TMAs thank you very much.

You are replying to a guy who thinks wing chun is validated by boxing. Now he's going to go in every wrestling thread and talk about his shitty TMAs thank you very much.
Wing Chun, at least my Wing Chun done and trained properly, is validated by the fact that it would take less than 30 seconds to separate you from consciousness in any kind of real confrontation. A nice Judo sweep or throw would also be viable after a slap stun, just because people who mouth off deserve a bit more.
Thankyou very much.

Wing Chun, at least my Wing Chun done and trained properly, is validated by the fact that it would take less than 30 seconds to separate you from consciousness in any kind of real confrontation. A nice Judo sweep or throw would also be viable after a slap stun, just because people who mouth off deserve a bit more.
Thankyou very much.
You are having a meltdown, relax. I understand that dishonouring your fat sifu's ponytail is a serious offense, but this is not a kung fu movie.

If we are gonna talk about why Penn State is so successful we have to at least mention the following. Being Cael Sanderson gives you a gargantuan edge in recruiting. He, his brothers, Casey Cunningham, Jake Varner, also happen to be tremendously talented coaches.
A few years ago, my nephew was being recruited by Penn State (not wrestling). During his visit to campus, they got tickets to a football game. My sister had a seat adjacent to Cael.

She introduced herself to him and asked him what he does for a living. He told her his role at Penn State. Her reply was "Oh, I thought all wrestling coaches were short." It threw her off.

I guess she assumed the cauliflower ear was from rugby.

I feel like you're leaving Oklahoma State out of your equation. Definitely a different approach than the Iowa "grind 'em down and bully 'em until they break" style. Although Iowa always did have a lot of technique and precision to back up their toughness. But Oklahoma State, in general, had a fluid, offensive and precise style that favored attacking, chaining and scrambling.

Lol you are even in the standup forum defending kung fu. Let it go, it's literally the most useless TMA amongst TMAs.
There is a book on Chin Na that I have, it is fascinating, its from early 20th century and apparently, from a point in time where a certain version of Chin Na, which, according to my translation, favored live rolling, had basically become marginalized and almost erased by wushu's popularity. The author says that the fact that wushu can be practiced without a partner is an indictment upon its validity as a martial art, he refers to wushu as a dance amongst other things and basically makes a plaintive call for Chinese practitioners to return to arts like Chin Na, founding on live sparring. I think he even says that Chinese martial arts have become a joke.

I have nothing against wushu or whatever, but it was fascinating to see this Chinese dude in the early 20th century talking about wushu in almost the same way that so many practitioners of sparring based arts have in more recent times.

Back