Glory bouts worth watching

Mick Dojang

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've never watched Glory before, but I'm having fun watching kickboxing lately

What are some good bouts to watch to get into Glory?

What differentiates it from something like K-1?

There has been a lot of great fights especially on their first few events. It depends on what kind of style of fighters you like and if you prefer technical fights or brawls.

I'd recommend checking out the Glory fights of Tyrone Spong, Alex Pereira, Petchpanomrung, Nieky Holzken, etc. but that's because I really liked watching them fight.

If you mean how Glory differentiates from the old K-1, it's just more modern and has more weight classes (old K-1 pretty much just had open weight and 70kg). The old K-1 had a different feel to it though and was really special especially their tournaments. The entrances and production was also more spectacular and the crowds were usually much bigger. There was also (IMO) a lot more talent in K-1 because MMA wasn't as big and the purses were also much bigger in K-1 than Glory (even though in the end a lot of fighters didn't end up getting paid).

There is no difference just that K1 was bigger and better and richer.

Here's a great fight I'm rewatching after several years:

I don't remember this fight being so fast and explosive. First round Carnage just throws combos into Spong who blocks almost everything and chooses his shots and has a much higher landing rate. Hard low kicks. Also good liver shot. And destroyed him 3 x with the left hook. Saki basically took Sponge from us with that leg break.

Spong and Hari are the only fighters when I saw them for the first time I knew they were gonna be special.

How did Saki beat both of these guys.

I mean Spong even had a close fight with Übereem in his highest form, while essentially being a blown LHW.

I don't remember this fight being so fast and explosive. First round Carnage just throws combos into Spong who blocks almost everything and chooses his shots and has a much higher landing rate. Hard low kicks. Also good liver shot. And destroyed him 3 x with the left hook. Saki basically took Sponge from us with that leg break.

Spong and Hari are the only fighters when I saw them for the first time I knew they were gonna be special.

How did Saki beat both of these guys.

I mean Spong even had a close fight with Übereem in his highest form, while essentially being a blown LHW.

Yeah when rewatching it I was surprised by how back and forth it was, from memory Spong dominated the fight and Corbett didn't do much but it was actually quite a back and forth fight even though Spong's shots were having much more effect and impact.

Saki was always Spong's kryptonite, TKO'd him in their first fight in K-1 and then retired him from Kickboxing with a shin block.

Yeah when rewatching it I was surprised by how back and forth it was, from memory Spong dominated the fight and Corbett didn't do much but it was actually quite a back and forth fight even though Spong's shots were having much more effect and impact.

Saki was always Spong's kryptonite, TKO'd him in their first fight in K-1 and then retired him from Kickboxing with a shin block.
Nah he wasn't his cryptonite. I thought he was lucky the first time with the last minute knock out in a even fight. I think Spong is a bit better the Saki. Second fight is just a shin to shin accident.

I don't think this Spong Carnage fight was back and forth. Similar level. Same speed and power and technique. But Spong dominated this. Clear 1st round and KO in the second. Spong landed those shots, Nathan fired and hoped. Spong outsmarted him. But Nathan essentially KOd Spong in the first NC fight too.

Nah he wasn't his cryptonite. I thought he was lucky the first time with the last minute knock out in a even fight. I think Spong is a bit better the Saki. Second fight is just a shin to shin accident.

I don't think this Spong Carnage fight was back and forth. Similar level. Same speed and power and technique. But Spong dominated this. Clear 1st round and KO in the second. Spong landed those shots, Nathan fired and hoped. Spong outsmarted him. But Nathan essentially KOd Spong in the first NC fight too.

What I meant by that isn't that Saki is a better fighter but that both times they met Saki came out winning unfortunately.

I'd favour Tyrone Spong vs Ghokan Saki any day back then.

What I meant by that isn't that Saki is a better fighter but that both times they met Saki came out winning unfortunately.

I'd favour Tyrone Spong vs Ghokan Saki any day back then.
I would say it's close but I personally think Tyrone is better. But Saki won twice. Second one was a horrible accident first one was a extra round KO, all merit.

Back