Media Royce Gracie on the JRE

The one question Rogan won't ask is why he felt the need to go full juicer against Sakuraba. One of the weirdest moments in the history of MMA. If there was a dude who I would've said wouldn't take steroids, it was Royce. It was one of those moments where I thought well f$ck, everyone's an asshole. Royce is human, but damn it sure was disappointing.

Rogan doesn't need to ask the question because he is very knowledgeable on the subject. It is only weird and surprising to you because you don't understand what "steroids" actually do or why athletes take them, nor do you have any interest in hearing or learning anything about that reality because it doesn't fit with your desire to demonize athletes over it to discredit their accomplishments.

Speaking of Gordeau...supposedly he was going to be Royces first oponent.

But when they saw that some Japanese press was there to cover him, due to the fact that Gordeau had previously been in Japan doing some hybrid/wrestling bouts they switched places because they realized that he had some experience with Ground Fighting.
Gordeau has been popular in japanese shoot-wrestling ever since his bout against Akira Maeda in the UWF in i think 1988.

He was also active in Fighting Network RINGS. Here is a fight from 1991 where he choked out Mitsuya Nagai.

I stopped my subscription to Spotify because of him. Because Neil Young wouldn't have his music on the same platform as Rogan, and actually withdrew all of it (except maybe some CSN&Y stuff he probably didn't really have full rights on, I don't remember.)

Well, I heard Mister Young sing about him
Well, I heard ol' Neil put him down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don't need him around anyhow

When I first watched UFC 1 as a kid I was rooting so hard for Royce to get battered.

Now when I watch it in retrospect I can't help but admire Royce's skills for his day and how he blazed through everyone.
Agreed. It's sad how much hate he gets. People are talking about the bad shit his family did, but why not judge the man for his own actions? Lots of people have family members that have done bad shit. I don't want to be held responsible for things my dad did.

Anyhoo, Royce deserves a ton of respect. People claim that the first UFC's were set up for him to win because they didn't allow grapplers. That's bullshit. Ken Shamrock knew all about submissions and grappling. If they wanted an easy path to victory for Royce they would've never invited Ken.

And in UFC 2 they invited that huge judo guy remco pardouel (sp?). That guy certainly understood submissions.

The truth is that Royce owned the strikers AND the grapplers, regardless of size.

And if he was scared of grapplers he wouldn't agree to fight sakuraba, especially considering what sak did to other Gracie's before him.

The dude's a legend. Am I disappointed he took steroids? I was at the time, but I've come to realize my av is true.

Speaking of Gordeau...supposedly he was going to be Royces first oponent.

But when they saw that some Japanese press was there to cover him, due to the fact that Gordeau had previously been in Japan doing some hybrid/wrestling bouts they switched places because they realized that he had some experience with Ground Fighting.
Interesting. Gordeau cornered a sambo guy from Holland in UFC 2 who won his first fight but decided not to continue. According to the announcers, the sambo guy won some early NHB type events in Japan, too.

Well, I heard Mister Young sing about him
Well, I heard ol' Neil put him down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don't need him around anyhow
Ronnie Van Zant knew what was up almost 40 years before Rogan did.

Haven't listened yet, still recovering from the Terrence Howard one, but I'm gonna guess that at one point Joe starts talking about his awful ideas for rule changes that would kill the sport?
Lmao, about three minutes in. Some of the dumbest ideas he has are those

Rogan doesn't need to ask the question because he is very knowledgeable on the subject. It is only weird and surprising to you because you don't understand what "steroids" actually do or why athletes take them, nor do you have any interest in hearing or learning anything about that reality because it doesn't fit with your desire to demonize athletes over it to discredit their accomplishments.
Rogan is on PEDs himself, I doubt he will ever give a shit about it enough to seriously address it on his podcast. Also it's kind of moot talking about it in the pre-USADA era when virtually everyone was on it. If Sakuraba wasn't on PEDs for the Gracie rematch he's a moron. Ken certainly was on in the first UFC bout.

Did Rogan press him on his behavior towards Eddie after he schooled Royler for the 2nd time?

Can Joe please stop with his "great ideas". Starting rounds back on the ground makes no sense in the world. Great way to encourage lay and pray even more.

Did Joe change this much in the last 10 years or is it me ? Now I can barely listen to a full JRE episode, even with a good guest. But I used to enjoy it back in the days.

Can Joe please stop with his "great ideas". Starting rounds back on the ground makes no sense in the world. Great way to encourage lay and pray even more.

Did Joe change this much in the last 10 years or is it me ? Now I can barely listen to a full JRE episode, even with a good guest. But I used to enjoy it back in the days.
You the one that changed omg. I don't even know you anymore!!!!

It is definitely weird you needed to go full retard when I noted that Royce is human in my original post and thus subject to errors in judgment. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit. Regardless, the Gracie's like to hold themselves in very high regard within the sport, and as such are held to higher standards. So yes, it was a regrettable choice on Royce's part.

The question I would ask of Royce? Given the chance to go back in time would you make the same choice?

Last edited:
If you think that's the first time Royce took steroids I've got a bridge to sell you. Everyone was on steroids back then.
I probably have said before but in south America steroids were easy to get and less expensive than supplements from American distributors.

It was a good podcast I don't really watch jre but I had to listen in on Royce
Lol at Royce the hunter that was a lil unexpected and lol at all the hating ass neck beards in this thread talking shit about the Gracie's

Interesting. Gordeau cornered a sambo guy from Holland in UFC 2 who won his first fight but decided not to continue. According to the announcers, the sambo guy won some early NHB type events in Japan, too.

Freek Hamaker...he was involved with the Red Light District and according to Gordeau, he only wanted to fight one time because he had an illness or something like that

Gordeau has been popular in japanese shoot-wrestling ever since his bout against Akira Maeda in the UWF in i think 1988.

He was also active in Fighting Network RINGS. Here is a fight from 1991 where he choked out Mitsuya Nagai.

And speaking of his stuff from Japan, there is a fight of his that happened in the 80s in Holland, that was advertised as a "no rules, anything goes fight" in which he ended up being disqualified.
There is video of it, but haven't seen it yet

He was a pro wrestler, so chances are he was on something. Gotta remember that Josh Barnett was always built like shit despite being the record holder for most failed drug tests in MMA history.
Also maybe the steroids allowed him to drink,smoke, and play video games heavily. Maybe? Idk

Marc Laimon posts on Sherdog. Awesome!

I will never Serras whole "your an expert swimmer who never jumped in to the pool" speech when he went off on Marc and I always hated Marc calling Karate bullshit and saying judo is crap. Dude seems to hate life but to his credit, he is a pretty good instructor in BJJ.

This was a really good episode. The fact it Joe this long to get Royce is embarrassing. Rampage has had better MMA guests in the year or two he's had a podcast than Rogan has in his entire run.

Back