How good is Chimaev's chin and toughness?

Shay Brennan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I just rewatched the Gilbert fight. The overhand that he ate at the end of the 2nd round is unreal. he took it right on the chin and it snapped his head back. He probably didn't see it as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the same strike that dropped Usman in their title fight?

I am aware that Chimaev also got dropped 2 times but that overhand right was the hardest shot of the fight.

At MW he ate a lot of Usman's punches as well, without ever being wobbled.

From what I know, Gilbert has more power in his looping punches but Usman has more power in his jab and cross.

Clearly his chin is better now that he doesn't cut weight to WW.

It would be awesome if someone could post that overhand which Chimaev ate at the end of the 2 round.

I just rewatched the Gilbert fight. The overhand that he ate at the end of the 2nd round is unreal. he took it right on the chin and it snapped his head back. He probably didn't see it as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the same strike that dropped Usman in their title fight?

I am aware that Chimaev also got dropped 2 times but that overhand right was the hardest shot of the fight.

From what I know, Gilbert has more power in his looping punches but Usman has more power in his jab and cross.

It would be awesome if someone could post that overhand which Chimaev ate at the end of the 2 round.

We really haven't seen Chimaev challenged to know, but I will say his cardio seems a little suspect and if a man gasses their durability and toughness go to shit.

He breaks under pressure.

Jiri wanted to show us. Unfortunately big mouth Khamzat did not even answer to his call out. Though Jiri achieved what he wanted i guess.. big mouth Khamzat did not spoke about him again.

He breaks under pressure.

Jiri wanted to show us. Unfortunately big mouth Khamzat did not even answer to his call out. Though Jiri achieved what he wanted i guess.. big mouth Khamzat did not spoke about him again.
To be fair, I wouldn’t want to fight Jiri if I were him either lol.

DID HE get dropped two times? Because that other time it's very unclear what happened

I would wait a bit to see how he eats clean shots from top MWs to say, so far his toughness seems good enough. Not on par with his wrestling or his big mouth, but good enough.

I think it's pretty tough if were going by WW. But somewhat untested when it comes to MW.

Whittaker will be his true test and we can properly gauge where Chimaev fits in the big picture.

Honestly most that hate him will say how he was dropped by a LW, but he purposely fought in the pocket and turned it into a war against Burns. Seems to me he doesn't mind having a back and forth fight. His recovery looked fine.

Chin = 7
Toughness = 8

This is just a loose estimate though.

Khamzat has achieved a level where every upcoming fight is yet another test. Whitaker takes the sport and Khamzat very seriously, can't wait to see exactly how tough Chimaev is. Like most I think if the fights ends early then its likely Khamzat got a KO/TKO, however, I'm hoping for a solid three to five round war where Whitaker can test him physically and mentally since we know for sure what Rob brings to the table. I know Khamzat is legit, nonetheless for me this is the final test. If he can beat Whitaker no other questions remain. Doesn't mean he can beat Israel or Dricus, but I won't question whether or not he belongs.

His chin is certainly inferior to his grappling

Its up there.

T H I S IS C H E C H N Y A , motherfuggas!!

DID HE get dropped two times? Because that other time it's very unclear what happened
One time it looked like the punch curved around and almost pushed him down from the back of his head rather than do damage

He def brawls when he don't need to. He brawls even when he's tired which is a good and bad thing. He has mad heart but not smart at effectively maximizing energy. He gets deontay wilder level sloppy and gets tagged when he does that.

his fight IQ is my biggest worry. He doesn't make the best decisions from what I've seen so far.

His cardio is the 2nd question, I'm still not sure if he gasses quickly cause he goes balls to the wall in the first round, or whether that's situational. He had fights where he wrestled for longer than a round and was fine.

I'm still not 100 on what he is.

He has a normal chin maybe above average burns almost shut his lights out he was close to becoming a highlight real

Back