Television Breaking Bad

This.

My biggest gripe with BCS is that it ends with f'ing Jimmy McGill "atoning for" and taking the fall for everything that Walt orchestrates in BB. That's just... stupid. That would be like Tinker the fat lackey being held accountable for all of Brad Wesley's shit at the end of Road House, after he spent the entire final scene (with all the shooting and killing) KTFO'ed under a stuffed polar bear.

View attachment 1044102

From reading interviews at the time I got the sense the creatives were exhausted by working on the franchise 15 years straight and the writers were much more merciful to the BBs characters then they were to Saul because by the end of BCS they were all just super done with this franchise. Covid obviously contributed to that and I've wondered how the ending would have looked without the pandemic or Odenkirks heart attack. Going by their interviews they did not have an overarching vision for how the show would end they came up with it on the fly(pun intended). Of course the same was true in BB and it turned out amazing. In BCS it felt like Chuck McGill wrote the finale.

Recall an interview after the finale where Gilligan(maybe Gould easy to get them mixed up) was basically like "well SOMEONE had to go jail?"(paraphrasing). Well if he believed that should have made a stronger case thats what the character deserved. Live or die in BB the end of every characters story made sense in some way and Saul just falling on his sword for no reason was a big departure from this.

Remember when you were doing a school project it's 90% done and its amazing but you're exhausted? There was always that temptation to flub the last 10% knowing you'll be just fine regardless and I just have a feeling thats what happened here.

Note-I am taking care to avoid referencing exact examples because Mr "yall have no goddamm idea wtf you're talking about" hasn't seen BB either. Of course BCS spoiled a lot of that for him already but I don't want to make it worse.

From reading interviews at the time I got the sense the creatives were exhausted by working on the franchise 15 years straight and the writers were much more merciful to the BBs characters then they were to Saul because by the end of BCS they were all just super done with this franchise. Covid obviously contributed to that and I've wondered how the ending would have looked without the pandemic or Odenkirks heart attack. Going by their interviews they did not have an overarching vision for how the show would end they came up with it on the fly(pun intended). Of course the same was true in BB and it turned out amazing. In BCS it felt like Chuck McGill wrote the finale.

Recall an interview after the finale where Gilligan(maybe Gould easy to get them mixed up) was basically like "well SOMEONE had to go jail?"(paraphrasing). Well if he believed that should have made a stronger case thats what the character deserved. Live or die in BB the end of every characters story made sense in some way and Saul just falling on his sword for no reason was a big departure from this.

Remember when you were doing a school project it's 90% done and its amazing but you're exhausted? There was always that temptation to flub the last 10% knowing you'll be just fine regardless and I just have a feeling thats what happened here.

Note-I am taking care to avoid referencing exact examples because Mr "yall have no goddamm idea wtf you're talking about" hasn't seen BB either. Of course BCS spoiled a lot of that for him already but I don't want to make it worse.

Lol at "Chuck McGill wrote the BCS finale." Indeed. Pretty sure I could have written a better ending as a student who procrastinated on his history paper or whatever and trying to finish at 3 am while chugging a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew. As it was, BCS would have been a better series had they just concluded at S6 E9 without any of the B&W sequence. An ambiguous ending about what Gene is doing at that Cinnabon and how does his character arc end would have been infinitely superior to confirming that his ending fucking sucks.

Back